Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I think that is a brilliant idea. I am also aware that there are other forums for this, but for me personally as soon as I end up on a more 'techie' board, I find it impossible to post for fear of showing my ignorance. I would be so much more comfortable doing this in an HT environment and I imagine a lot of other members would. We do get comments about punctuality, food etc but they are scattered all over the board and you cant look for info in a structured manner. People might post when they first return from their hols and it's all fresh in their minds.

Doe :)
I too think it is a good idea..after all, we get chance to post reviews about every other aspect of our holidays..why not the type of service offered on the plane or feedback from the flight..after all, the flight is an important part of the holiday!
I'm not sure if it has been asked before, Mark. Reviews are always welcome in the individual airline topics here in this forum. However, we are more than happy to consider the possibility of a separate dedicated airline reviews section if that is what may be preferred.

David :wave
As your flight forms part of your holiday and you pay for it this is a good idea,it could be on the same format as the Hotel reviews section.
In theory I think it's a good idea, but would we still be able to post on this forum such news as "EasyJet's Winter flights have now been released" which is a matter of immediate urgency for lots of us?
roseweb

i think the idea is to have both the airline/airport forum and a separate airline/airport reviws [as we have with holidays eg Rhodes forum and Rhodes hotel reviews]

I can see the logic in this suggestion my worries would be server capacity,
I certainly think it is a good idea. However, I am wondering just how many would fill in reviews. We already have members who fill in hotel and resort reviews and perhaps this is a review too many?? We also would have to look at workload issues for the team and particularly for admin. We do this voluntarily and almost all of us have full time jobs as well. Of course, as Wizard said, we may not have enough server capacity :(
If we can provide this new resource for everyone and sort out the workload implications and if members support it with a steady flow of reviews then I'm all in favour of it :) I'm sure the team will discuss this at length but as you are all aware, we are a pretty shellshocked team at the moment so any decision made may well be a while off. Great suggestion though and keep the opinions coming :)
I'd support it but can see a problem. People would have to learn to seperate the flight from the rest of the holiday and the tour companies. I can imagine an airline being marked down because a tour operator retimed a flight to fit hotel arrangements, or a mediocre one being marked up because it was part of an otherwise great package.
Sounds a good idea to me, especially with so many flight only options being available nowadays.
Reviews of airlines/airports, as with hotels and resorts could work alongside the forums as the resorts and hotel reviews do already
What about in the interim to assess the actual popularity of an airline review section, to create a poll thread for each of the major airlines and give HT users options such as:-

Excellent
Above average
Average
Poor
Painfull

etc..

Only downside is regular travellers would only be able to vote once but since this is a holiday website, most of us only go on holiday a few times a year. It would give HT an indication if it were worth the investment/manpower etc..

It would give a current snap shot of each airline how they are performing.
I too think it would be a good idea but can foresee some difficulties. You might have a wonderful flight with one carrier and the next time with the same carrier it could be a nightmare. If you can only enter one review per carrier, it could distort the overall picture. E.g. Punctuality depends on so many factors (technical, weather, other flights and their potential problems). Food is generally the same on same carrier so could easily be evaluated (but there is another forum dedicated to that - cannot remember name at moment). Personnel/crew is also so variable. So, where would we start?
I too think it would be a good idea but can foresee some difficulties. You might have a wonderful flight with one carrier and the next time with the same carrier it could be a nightmare.

The same happens with hotels of course, and many people report that a hotel they have previously found excellent has deteriorated badly on a subsequent visit.

I think the problem Steve points out is relevant. People would have to differentiate between things which were the responsibility of the airline and those which were down to the tour operator. Most of us on here, however, have learned to read between the lines so are able to sort out what is relevant.
There are already several website around for airline reviews. For example Car Survey (flights) and Airline Quality. I know this will divert traffic from HT, but you could post reviews on those sites and link them to here?

Darren
Please don't think that we are ignoring this proposal. It's just that it requires full Mod/Admin consideration, and unfortunately it has been some time since we have had a full Mod/Admin team available for discussion, due to several recent very sad bereavements. Van's input especially is required on the technical implications of adding a new section. Please feel free to continue discussing your thoughts on the proposal, but it isn't possible to predict at this stage when there may be further news or developments.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.