Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
well I have no problem with Turkish wine at all :cheers Before our 1st holiday there I read the reports of undrinkable wine but didn't come across any ( except maybe house wine which can be dog rough)
We drink white so can't comment on reds and found the labels that Strawberry mentioned great. I enjoyed the Dolucca too. Cankaya & Angora are the names I remember as being the best.
We weren't AI and I thought that eating out was very reasonable so to pay equivalent of £12/13 approx for a bottle didn't break the bank.
We're returning this year & lookking forward to polishing off a bottle two again! :tup
I don't usually drink wine when I'm in Turkey, because it is so expensive, but friends of ours gave us some white wine, Kavak, I think it was called, and it wasn't bad at all. I certainly found it quite drinkable. Also had a nice glass of rose wine free with my meal in one restaurant, but as it was "on the house", I never did find out the name of it! :cheers
I quite like Kavak too, it is better than some of the other white wines and not too expensive.
We were in Marmaris at Easter this year and all inc drinks included vodka, gin, wine, draught larger and limited cocktails. Tea and coffee and soft drinks.

Whisky and brandy were extra.

We love wine at home, we like to try different types but we were not keen on Turkish wine at all. The red was served chilled which kills a red wine. White I didn`t try as I heard is was sweet tasting and I like dry white. The rose was not too bad. Wine with the meals tasted ok but on its own was not my choice.

We love a brandy and coke but at 10 lire a go we never bothered as I don`t like being ripped off. Cocktails were expensive too at 10 lire each.

Efes was nice but not being a larger drinker I soon had had my fill.

My advice is to take in some dutry free and have a tipple later if your missing your usual tipple. I don`t normal struggle with the local stuff but Turkey is a Muslim country and you have to expect this but other things made up for this like the warmth of the people and the sun.

Shirley, slightly off topic but if you like Metaxa next time your in Spain try a Bobadillo 103 brandy with coke it a nice one simillar to a Metaxa.
Hi Christine,

Cankaya is a dry white wine - but like most Turkish wines it isn't very good.

If they were serving the red wine chilled it was probably to deaden the taste! As it happens, although red wine should be served at room temperature it's sometimes served too warm. Room temperature should be like a cellar, which is on the cool side.

Strawberry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.