Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Local drink ?
39 Posts
We buy kent from the supermarkets, around £2 or less for 20. Thats the blue packet.

Sakara is the local beer, and it isn't bad actually. My hubby drinks Guinness, but unless you go to proper pubs or restaurants you cannot appear to get it, and when you do its expensive. I like cider and cannot get it. All the usual local spirits and the imported ones especially at hard rock cafe are expensive. But on holiday we just pay it because its our usual drink, and you save for it.
Nice one Derwentrocker, thank you again :tup

I've read bad reports somewhere about The Hard Rock Cafe so it was off my to go list :think :rofl

I shall pass the message on to the better half about the cigarettes, cheers :cheers
Hi BurscoughBilly,

We have been to the Hard Rock Cafe both in Sharm and Hurghada several times over the years and could never find fault with the food, and will be visiting again in a couple of week when we return to Sharm .... perhaps we have been lucky!!!

Pat
I think u have been lucky pat :) we have been there several times and been sick when we got back to hotel. The mash potatoe is made from their own water and its smash potatoe. Had burgers and steak on different days and years and been ill. Also tgi fridays is a very dirty restaurant, the loos were swimming with stench, again ill. Be warned about the beduoin style places to chill opposite hrc. Wen you buy a pint they have to fetch it from somewhere else and it wasnt bottlied. If customers left their beer, they give it to another custmer but top it up. Always ask for bottled beer unless its a proper restauant. X
Hi Derwentrocker,

We usually have the nachos or shared started, and either the burgers or the pancakes with chicken or beef for main .... however, never had any mash or steaks when there ........ obviously lucky LOL!!!

Pat
Just to add .... never been to TGI Fridays, and wouldn't dream of having a beer anywhere in Egypt without being served from a bottle LOL!!

Regards,
Pat
Good evening Pat and Derwentrocker :cheers

Ahh mixed reports then about hard rock. To be honest I think we will either be at the Hotel or the Beach think we shall just nip into Soho and Naama Bay once. What I meant about the drink was like Turkey you have Efes {Beer} and Rakki....that is waht I meant besides the Sakara.... :tup

Lashing down here wishing I was there now but still have a month to go, well just over lol :sun2
Hi BurghscoughBilly,

I don't drink spirits myself, but with Egypt being a Muslim country, I wouldn't think that they would have a local spirt as they do in the like of Cyprus, turkey and elsewhere .... but maybe wrong. I normally drink the Sakara when in Egypt and it is OK. You can buy British lager over there, but as it is imported, you will pay the price if buying in the hotels. There are quite a few supermarkets and off licences about where you can buy lager, which is cheaper .... I normally buy a few to stock in the fridge room.

Pat
I agree with pat, only christians drink the rest do not. So as far as i know there isnt anything that springs to mind.
No probs Pat and Derwentrocker.....used to going the supermarket in Turkey and sticking a few beers in the rooms fridge :)..infact last year more and more in the Old Town went back their apartments to drink as it was far cheaper than the restaurants, shame they have killed it off with greed.

I'll grab a cpl of bottles on our way out of terminal 3 and that will do us for 2 weeks :)
I know the Hotel stipulates you not to bring in stuff from the supermarket but surely you are allowed to bring some coke back from the shop to go with the Smirnoff lol.
Any drinks I buy from the supermarket over there, I tend to just put them in a beach bag so they are out of sight.

Pat
Yes i agree pat, we hide ours in ruck sack after coming from the beach, security tend to search bags at night.
No probs thats what we are here for to help. This year will be my 10 th time in sharm and 11 times in total. Should have a bit of experience. By the way dont forget to pack buscopan in case of cramps. Slightly of topic oops.
Cheers for that Derwentrocker :cheers

Made a note of the buscopan :wave:

Ahh you know your'e way around the area then, I don't think we will be travelling too far, we do like a walk though so depending how far Soho Square is we might walk to there but the bus they have at the hotel will have to take us to Naama Bay because looking on the map I think it's around four mile from the Tiran Island Hotel :think :cheers
I havent been to soho square yet either, but hopefully will get a cab to it. Not sure how expensive it is though
Might bump into you then Derwentrocker :rofl

I received a email from Rachel at the Tiran Island Hotel and there was a attatchment with all the info there for the Hotel and it say's you can use the Hotels shuttle bus to get there and it's not expensive on their bus :tup

It's worth a look round I think from what I have read :)
Haven't been to Soho Square myself either (may try it in a couple of weeks) However, if you intend to eat out in a restaurant there, I have read that long trousers are a must.

Pat
Thanks Pat, just bought 2 pair of new pants for the Holiday :tup

I've seen some pictures on Flickr of Soho, it's not to be confused with London :rofl ......looks like a small place but like I say, it's something to do different than the Hotel :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.