General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Re: Long haul
39 Posts
Hi Helen,

You could take a look at the Tamarjin in Aruba (First Choice) We went there with our then 15 year old son in July/Aug 2010, and they had child prices up to the age of 17 ..... flight time from Gatwick was 8.5 hours.

Pat
;) Pat I think Helen has to 'do' school holidays because she works at a school - but that's a good tip if you're travelling with teenagers.
Hi Betty,

Yes, I'm referring to school holiday dates ......... July and August.

Regards,
Pat
Sorry Betty ...... apologies!

Read the post wrong. I was thinking that she would be travelling with children during the summer holidays .....ooops!!

Pat
USA , Mexico and Cuba for us.
Not necessary helent as it depends where u go as if it's long haul August isn't always there peak time :tup
;) but it's also not always the best weather :D
You could take a look at the Tamarjin in Aruba (First Choice) We went there with our then 15 year old son in July/Aug 2010, and they had child prices up to the age of 17 ....

Really :really Im off for a looksey at first choice Aruba now .
Hi Lyn,

Although we stayed at the Tamarjin, you also have full use of the pools and restaurants at it's sister hotel the Divi Aruba which is more upscale than the Tamarjin (bookable through Thomson) However, all the rooms at the Tamarjin are literally directly on the beach (about 20 steps from the waters edge) and the views are stunning, which is what you are really paying for if staying there.

Pat
We do get a fortnight for Easter, but we're off to Egypt for a week of that :tup Just looked at the Aruba hotel and it's coming in at over £2000 pp in August- too expensive for me, but looks lovely :tup
  • Edited by Helen T 2012-05-08 19:29:09
Shame with 5 of us a little over our budget Pat .. well rather a lot . Almost 9K !!!!

Let me know if you see any of those good offers again Pat because I could be very tempted for next summer :D
Hi Lyn,

WOW £9k!!! We paid £3,700 2 adults 1 child back in Aug 2010 which included Premium Economy. Having said that, if memory serves me right I think the child price only worked about £400 cheaper than the adult price.

I think the problem is Thomson/FC have the monopoly with package holidays in the UK due to the mess that TC are in, and they are taking advantage of it .... just my opinion!

We always booked with TC up until 5 years ago. We booked a hotel in Egypt with them, and prior to going on the holiday we got wind that people were being bumped into another hotel (lower * rating) upon arrival at Hurghada. However, even after showing the evidence to the TC shop they denied this was going on. We ended up taken to Director level, and even then had to wait nearly 3 weeks to be told that they would guarantee that we wouldn't be moved ...... hence, we have since booked with Thomson/FC LOL!!

Pat

Pat
We have been to the Tamarjin twice and love it! :cheers

I always price it up when thinking where to go but it seems to have shot up in price over the last couple of years!
It does look lovely Lesley, Pat and with a shortish long haul flight and more settled weather (I think ) I would definately book if they brought the cost down by a few thousand .
Jamaica is lovely , I love the Negril area and the hotel rates are lower than Aruba
Hi Shirley,

I've always fancied Sunset at the Palms in Negril, but FC/Thomson don't sell that hotel, and I wouldn't book with TC.

Pat
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.