General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
you don't say where from?? if gatwick is in your normal catchment then Thessaloniki on easy jet is reasonable [ its one of the routes they took over from GB airways] you could stay around the city or pop down to Chalkadiki

yasus
wizard
Thanks Wiz......We're pretty flexible on UK departure point, although Luton, East Mids, Stansted, Birmingham would be preferable. I'll take a look at Thessaloniki now :tup
Well, back to sorting my own advice at this rate I guess :rofl

Shortlist so far :

Malta

Portugal

Cyprus....wishful thinking me thinks given the time constraints but I'm drawn to a 49th visit ;)

Any thoughts on those ????
Son Matias Beach - adults only - on promenade in Palma Nova (quick transfer from/to airport)
Torremolinos - again very quick transfer.

We choose those destinations for short breaks because we don't want to hire a car or rely on public transport and there is a lot going on in the area - all within walking distance.
Thanks Suzie,

What time of year did you travel ? I'm worried that Majorca and the Costa Del Sol wont be very warm at the end of Sept hence why Malta looked favourite at the moment. I also looked at Ibiza but again I get the feeling weather can be hit & miss at that time of year and as we're only going for 4 nights I'd rather have no rain ;)

We were in Benal at the beginning of June and it was warm but not what I'd call really hot, although your right about the quick transfer :tup
Just wrote you a long reply but it vanished before my eyes!!!!!!

Weather can be hit or miss anywhere nowadays, can't it? (wasn't like that when I was young!!)

We usually go on a short break every 6 weeks to Costa del Sol or Algarve.
We always choose a hotel on the front - never one where you have to climb up hills or outskirts of the town.
We like to be able to walk out straight onto the prom and stop in bars/restaurants overlooking the sea.
Went to the Algarve in October last year and the weather was fab.

February and March this year, we went to Son Matias Beach Hotel. We sat outside every day and at night when it got a bit chillier, I just put on a cardie. No rain and a lot warmer than being back home.

We usually book our flights with a budget airline and for the hotels, mainly Thomsons - they sometimes have good deals with their Gold hotels.

We went to Tenerife for 2 weeks in May/June - good weather but no hotter than Costa del Sol at the time and probably going to back in September for our main holiday (even been there for a 3 and 4 night break) but the only thing we are not looking forward to is a 4 hour flight - 2 hours is enough for us.

I am going to press the submit button now before this disappears again!!!!!!!
Oh no Suzie.....I hate it when that happens :duh

We must have similar taste as I'm just back from Albufeira ;) Although the complex we stayed on was lovely we've had horrendous problems with apartment owner that we rented from (see complaints section :banghead: ) which has put a huge dampner on the holiday to be honest.

I did think about going back to the Algarve but I want the Med as I've missed it. I'll have a look at that hotel in Palma thanks, and wont give up on the Costa Del Sol either. I'll be doing my usual DIY, a cheapie flight and seperate accom :tup
What a shame about your last holiday to Albufeira. Did you see the Club Praia Du Oura when you were there?
We have stayed there several times and would recommend it to anyone who expects a good level of accommodation and the position on the beach is fab?

Thomsons Gold hotel in Falesia is lovely - I think you need a car if you stay for 1-2 weeks but if all you want is a chill out for 3-4 days, it is ideal for couples. (transfers were about £25 in total for the two of us)

Please let me know what you decide! Suzie
Did you see the Club Praia Du Oura when you were there?

We were practically next Door Suzie....sharing the same beach :tup We stayed at the Private apartment complex Quinta Pedra Dos Bicos, it also houses the Pedra Bicos Hotel now which was built last year I think....big curvy orange building ?

Great area and I'll definitly be back, doesn't the Club Praia spread out to several building including the one's not on the beach side of the road ?? :offtop Soz
Can't think where that hotel is - is it past the CPO?

Yeah, the complex is the main one and the one across the road used to be a hotel I think but now they are apartments with a very good restaurant. (There was a fab fish and chip shop just up the road)

It is great there for a short break - the Strip isn't for us though but The Sizzling Stone (?) is nice.

The old town is more our scene in the evenings - we stayed at the Sol e Mar and Rocamar due to the wonderful position.

Vilamoura is nice for a short break too and if you got there early enough, you could visit the Wednesday market in Quarteira. Nice beach, lovely Marina and restaurants.

All this talk of the Algarve makes me want to go back very soon!

We have just come back from a short break to Plymouth! First time in the UK for ages. Lovely hotel but you can guess the only complaint, can't you? Yes - the horrible weather!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.