General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I enjoy it all as it means I'm going on holiday! From the time I hit the airport I'm in holiday mode... I dump my luggage as soon as possible and then people watch, browse the shops, have coffee...
I can't say that I like the size of the planes if they are noisy etc but hey, everyones going on holiday! (Unless I'm getting kicked in the back of my seat :yikes )

Coming home it totally depends on which airport.... say no more!

Hopefully not to :offtop but many years ago when my sons were little we were taking off and sat near a very nervous passenger.... all of a sudden at the top of his voice one said ' We're in care Bear land!' to which the nervous person laughed and said 'how can I be scared now?'!!
Jenny
Can't add much to what you have already said, you both sound like me and my hubby, although I'm not much on airline food but will eat it, I love the coffee though sad or what!!!
I love the anticipation at the airport, but once we are up and away can't wait to land.
Glad that it is not just us two cazb. All best - Jenny x
Hi
I dont mind the taking off and the journey but not too keen on the landing, always seems to take ages, dropping and banking, the sea always looks too close for comfort when we are landing :yikes
My partner hates flying, so this Sept we went to Majorca for the short flight... and the weather was terrible :cry
So he is just going to be a brave boy next time and we will go further afield and hopefully good weather :sun2
M
I might be flying to Edinburgh soon, and I tend to worry too much, so :S
I love the airport experience and flying, however, whenever we have flown long haul I find that after 5 hours in the air I have had enough and just want to hurry up and get there.
Sanji, what are you waiting for. Book Australia now. I know it's a long way when you don't like flying, but believe me, it's worth the sweaty palms and the dry mouth :tup Rosalyn
I absolutely hate flying. Well not just flying, any form of travel. I'm not in the least bit scared, but I just find it so mind numbingly boring.

I always try to sleep for as long as possible, especially going to Vegas, as 10-1/2 hours stuck in that metal tube feels like forever.

Can't believe that I ever went to Australia and certainly can't see me doing it again.

luci :wave
Sanji, what are you waiting for. Book Australia now. I know it's a long way when you don't like flying, but believe me, it's worth the sweaty palms and the dry mouth

It looks inviting, but I think apart from crawling up the sides of the plane and feeling like committing mass murder, I would be brain dead by the time I got to Sydney.
The thought of 22 hours on a plane just fills me with fear and previously "no way" would I even contemplate it, but, now my boy is out there, I might just have to do it. :yikes
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1041/scanner0003uo1.th.jpghttp://img183.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif
Click on image to enlarge

Sanji
don't do it in one go Sanji. do stopovers both ways- even one night will make a difference. We are hoping to go to Australia in the next of years and I won't even contemplate doing the journey in one go.
Sanji
:offtop
When you do decide to go there are lots of people on HT who can help you out with tips on airlines, routes etc. I would echo the advice of having a stopover and would say Singapore. It's clean and efficient and very easy to get around.
Go for it, most people love OZ, I will go back there again one of these days. I know how you feel about long flights but I think you will find it's worth it.

Judith
Now who would live in a house like this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Qantas_b747_over_houses_arp.jpg

Wonder what these residents think of take-off and landing :rofl
Good gracious me :yikes that's unbelievable.
My late MIL lived in Richmond upon Thames and I thought the planes from/to Heathrow were low flying over her house, but that photo takes the biscuit.

Jaysus, it must be deafening. :yikes
Thanks Judith & Fiona :kiss I'm in no hurry, but I won't say never anymore.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiii
I'm in no hurry, but I won't say never anymore

I know you can do it shirley :kiss 24 hours or whatever it is on the plane nowadays will be worth it when you see your boy .

I might moan to my family but really I love the whole airport experience .Like to get there early , have breakie/lunch and browse the shops waiting for the boarding announcement :cheers but have to admit im bored out of my brain on any flight . I dont tend to read much either because of the travel sick feeling and recently I seem to keep getting these strange colour draining from your face/dizzy/close oto passing out feeling the last few times ive flown . I think its just that I cant seem to forget about it now so of course it happens . Maybe its becoming a kind of panic attack . It doesnt seem to last long but I hope it doesnt get worse :(
I also find the flight very stuffy and claustrophobic and have to have an isle seat .

lyn
Sanji, as someone else said, book stopovers, it also helps with the jetlag.

AND if they are still going, don't book with Indonesian (Garuda) airlines.
Their route is like a bus - you name the country, and I've been to the airport! :rofl

(I was only 22 when I went to Oz and didn't see further than the cheap price of the flight!
Let's just say it was an *experience!* :rofl ).
I dont mind flying, but the most ive done is 4 1/2 hours, Im like Sanji.. i want to go to Austrailia to visit my cousin, but the thought of a 23 hour flight to Brisbane fills me with dread, Id need to do 4 stopovers! I love taking off and landing (especially as your homing in your destination and you get a good view of the landscape below you)
However I hate the queuing at check-in and passport control, faffing about emptying your pockets, taking jewellery off etc, and I always get searched :que.
My sons only 2 and hes flown 4 times now, and is obsessed with aeroplanes, hes always asking to go plane to pool (guess he takes after his mummy :fly :hyper) :)
If it takes 23 hours to fly to Australia, do you stop for fuel, if so are you allowed off the plane?
i hate it , only thing keeps me going is thinking of the sunny weather ahead. i can't even have anyone speak to me when we are taking off or landing. what a whoose eh!? a transporter like in star trek would suit me much better. :yikes
We stopped everywhere (was like a flamin' bus) on the way to Oz, and other than Zurich and Paris, were allowed off the plane and
into the terminal buildings every time.
This was quite some years ago though so I don't know what the situation would be nowadays with all the increased security.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.