General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Thanks Elaine. I'm rubbish at searching for things in Argos. Last thing I tried to find was a small wallet/holder for credit cards, which I'm sure they would sell, but failed miserably.

luci :wave
well, I tried luggage scales, scales, digital scales then did a bit of lateral thinking and put weighing in the search box. :think After that, i was going to give up. :)
Aw, you'll laugh at what we do, stand on our bathroom scales with our suitcase, then deduct our own weight from that !
Thanks for all the info. The standing on the scales for me is a no no. I can't lift the case and then see what it says! I live alone although on one occasion I got my daughter to do this. She had to stand backwards so that I could see the actual weight. Not easy! I only have an allowance on my jet2 flight and am going to Australia and New Zealand with Singapore Airlines in November. Holiday with stopovers cruise 14 nights and then an extended 5+ holiday in OZ. Weight allowance 20K and an excess of £25 per Kilo to Singapore and a further £11 for the Singapore to Auckland flight. Direct the charges would be £29 Per Kilo. So there you have it I must make that weight!!

Sue
Mine are more compact than the one in Argos - mind if it does the same job........

Thanks for that info Wizard - will do as you do as I'd hate to have them taken off me!
Used the lakeland ones yesterday and they are brilliant. The strap fits under the handle and locks (no hooks) hold up the case and when it has the weighed it bleeps so you can put the case on the floor and look at the digital reading. Only 18.6kg so used a carrier bag and added lots of small items until I had 1.4kg then put them in the case instead of keep having to weigh the case.
I used to stand on the scales with the suitcase in my hand :)
We have just been to Oz and wanted to buy so much but didn't dare as we took loads of stuff with us in the first place so kept asking people if they had any bathroom scales but couldn't find any. At one time took our hand luggage into a store and used the bathroom scales they had on sale.
Was upset at the airport on the way home when we had 2 spare kgs - won't happen again.
Thanks to whoever started this thread - I'm going to get myself a set - will save us a fortune
(got well ripped off at Manchester airport last year :rage ) :rage
and stop my husband fretting about the weight of the cases!

thank you!
I think we will have to ask Mod to put this into 1 thread
I think the Lakeland scale looks much more substantial and even though it costs £19.99 for myself who travels a lot I think worth the extra cost.
Bleeping and being able to lay it down to check the weight is a great boon. I live alone so don't have someone to read it whilst I hold it up etc.
I don't mind the cost in the UK for excess ie. £5-7 per Kilo but the Aust/New Zeal and other areas far and middle east costs of eg £25-30 per Kilo is just out of the question.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Sue
:offtop Just wondering about my weight next time we fly. Hubby has had this brainy idea of putting a barbecue wire in my case as we cant get a replacement in Portugal and found the perfect fit one in the UK. I have had for years in our loft a massive lightweight suitcase, last time I used it I was overweight but luckily they wasnt as strict then and just put a red (HEAVY) sticker on it. But just thinking how I can put this on the bathroom scales and see the weight at the same time. I have told him if its overweight he pays :D . By the way he always travels light with just hold luggage (CRAFTY) as all the clothes he needs so he says are down at our house on the Algarve. When your on a 20kg allowance it aint much if you have silly things such as barbecue wires in your case :duh
Putting the case on the bathroom scales isn't very accurate. What we do is weigh hubby, then weigh him again holding the case and subtract his weight from the total. It's not spot on, but it's near enough.

bought the one from argos yesterday its fab
My local Argos didn't have them and it said they were an Extra item that could be ordered on Saturday for delivery on Thursday. However when I went to the desk to order them they said they weren't showing as available from their warehouse. :(

My next nearest Argos is 35 miles away and I'm not paying the petrol on a 70 mile round trip for a £5.99 set of scales!

do you not have a local hardware/tool shop they should sell spring ballances weighing up to 25kg [thats what i use]
I have the travellon luggage scale purchased from QVC. I bought a cheap set from ebay for my daughter.

For those of you who dont use ebay, Betterware have a set at a reasonable price.

http://www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=038370&language=en-GB
the ones from argos are also used by fishermen so maybe if theres a bait shop or something nearer they may have them.

my bathroom scales are digital and can have kgs, stones or lbs on them, when you put the case on the scales, take it off and the weight is still displaying for a few seconds :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.