Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Would never consider going abroad without insurance - gross stupidity if anyone does - you just don't know when you'll need it.
I was in the very unfortunate position of having a miscarriage whilst in Majorca 7 years ago. The Thomsons rep did not want to know, we had to sort everything out ourselves. Luckily we had insurance. We paid the bill at the hospital and then claimed it back when we got home. The staff at Manacor hospital were brilliant but assistance (or should I say lack of it) from Thomsons left lot to be desired. :cry:
Hi

How dreadful to have to cope with such a dreadful event on your own. Scary enough in your own country with your family and friends to support you. :(
I agree that nobody should ever consider taking a risk and going away without proper insurance - but I bet lots of people do, believing they're in good health and it's one expense they can cut corners on.

Back to the reps,
I have to admit that I was under the missguided impression that Reps were supposed to be there to assist you during your holiday and make sure things ran smoothly and any problems were ironed out quickly. To ensure that you got to your resort, make sure you got from the resort to the airport on departure day and to take care of problems during your stay if you had any.

After our experience last weekend, and listening to how our friends have been treated since he fell ill I've come to realise that the Thompson Reps arent there to help you at all. They're merely there to get a sun tan and sell you excursions! The Rep who was in the resort had only been "on the job" 5 weeks according to my friends wife. She'd had a weeks training in the UK telling her how to sell excursions and a weeks training in Majorca and that was it. (Although, how true that is I can't say. )

Even though this girl was inexperienced you'd expect her immediate boss to be more helpful. This proved not to be the case. When he popped into the hotel he didnt acknowledge my friend or her children nor did he ask after her very seriously ill husband. When it was pointed out to the rep that we'd been dumped at the wrong hotel and had to fork out for a taxi they weren't interested. Something was mumbled about if we could find out who'd put us on the wrong bus then they'd look into it. Well, I'm sorry, but we were far to busy looking after our friend, her children and doing hospital visits!

Netty
I agree it is totally stupid to go away with no insurance, two years ago while in turkey I had a heart attack that came totally out the blue and at the age of 44 and no history of heart problems if I had not had insurance I do not know what I would have done. Jacqui
Hi Enchantica. I agree with you re the reps. We had to find out which hospital we could get too (quickly) which turned out to be Manacor (we were staying on the east of the island), sort ourselves out with a taxi and when we got to the hospital, you could count on one hand the number of people who spoke English :cry: I have to say, my treatment at the hospital was brilliant and there was one male English nurse who was my saviour. Luckily, we had friends with us who looked after our little boy but whilst I didnt expect a visit from the rep, she never even asked how I was after spending the best part of 4 days running backwards and forwards to the hospital :shock: I hardly ever both going to welcome meetings these days, not worth wasting a couple of hours of my time.
When I had an accident in Madeira 18 months ago we were on a diy holiday. I must admit I did wonder if it may have been easier if we had been on a package and had a rep. Looks like it might not have been much different.

We were so glad we had insurance - if not it would have cost us an absolute fortune. BA would not fly me home unless I had 3 seats (my leg was in plaster) as it happens the plane was so empty that my husband also had 3 seats. Imagine what that would have cost. Even though we had loads of problems with the insurance company and also the repatriation company - eventually we got home.

Travel insurance need not be too costly and like any insurance you never know when you might need it.

Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.