Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Too much to reply to and not enough time or coinage.....some points will have to wait. :lol:
Sorry Kazza, but I wouldn´t class spending 193 million euros building a new terminal, building a railway station, laying new railway lines, boring through over 4 kms of rock for a tunnel, building a substation to power the electric trains, taking up the old railway lines and building another runway as a refurbishment or even a major refurb, so how can you possibly equate this to a total refurb at Manchester.?
IMO Malaga´s machines are not faulty, they are just a tad sensitive at the moment and working at full stretch because T2 security area out of action for upgrade.

I think the Spanish have done very well getting on with this project and trying to cause the least disrupution to passengers, yeh, I had a moan about those steps up to the platform when all it needed was a load of concrete dumping over them and making it into a ramp, and it would have made life easier, but I wouldn´t want Malaga to follow Manchester because they might have all the technology etc etc, but that still didn´t stop my OH from boarding a Monarch flight in June without being scanned.! so give me the sensitive machines.

The walk after landing last Thursday to the baggage reclaim area was much shorter than when we landed in June, and it seemed shorter than the old walk from T2 to the baggage area.
The train station is a doddle and nothing like the trek down to the old platform, you´d have to be blind to miss the signs as you come out of arrivals at T3.....and it will get easier still when you can get to it from departures too.....I will elaborate when I get home.

Sanji
Hubby is having a siesta and I´ve looked at the few photos that I took and they´re rather dark, so.....
When you come out of terminal 3, you walk straight ahead in a direct line from the doors and after a minute you will come to the end of the paved "courtyard" area.
Here there is a sign for the Tren, directing you to turn left.
After a few yards you cross over the purposely situated zebra crossing, crossing over the slip road for the taxis.
Bang opposite the crossing is a walkway with grey plastic or glass sides.....this leads straight to the station at street level and the ticket machines.

Once through the ticket barrier, you descend via the escalator to the platform.
ATM there´s only one platform in operation....when stood on the platform facing the tracks, trains to Malaga come into the station on your right, trains to Fuengirola come into the station on your left.

There´s no more steps to worry about and it´s all level......I´m not very good with distances, it´s probably around a 6 minute stroll and certainly less than a 10 min walk at the very max.....certainly nothing (distance wise) like the trek over the bridge to the old lines, which they are now starting to remove.

The only slight problem we had, was the escalator was operating erratically, it kept going fast and then slow, so be careful if it´s not been sorted because it was difficult stepping onto it with a suitcase, but I think these are teething problems that will be ironed out.

It was "dusty" down on the platform, what I mean is you could smell the dust if you´re hanging around waiting for the next train.
In time, it will operate like the other stations on this line, with a platform/escalator for Malaga and the other platform/escalator for Fuengirola.

Sanji
Hi Everyone

I only joined this site today, hope I'm doing things right....My hubby and I are going to Fuengirola on 4th October..and intend taking the train from Malaga airport .. I would like to thank sanji for her information about the new train station..I have printed it out and will take it with me...thank you so much sanji....

from Bunty
Thxs Sanji i too have copied & printed.. :)
I see the temps are high again, after the spot of rain..according to Torre web cams, bet you are doing a lot of this. :sun2
Hi

We are staying at los arcos montemar, will it be feasable to get the train?
Any help with directions will be appreciated .
We arrive approx 8pm .

Many thanks sue
Here you go.....the few photos that I took.
Following on from my previous post......as you come out of arrivals at T3....straight ahead in the distance is the sign for the train. ( I've added the red arrows)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2644/trenur.jpg

Follow the sign and the directions in my previous post.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9365/signqz.jpg

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6094/tren1.jpg

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/6169/tren2.jpg

Sanji
Sanji your a star. :D Do you know if they have lifts as well as excalators..just wondered if the excalators are not working are we back to sq one. :think
Must admit the builders did get a move on during the last 4mths, everything looks great & so clean.. :)
Hope you had a good holiday & hubby is okay.. :wave:
Do you know if they have lifts as well as excalators

I can't be 100% certain, but both myself and Dave noticed (glanced at) 2 steel doors on the left after going through the ticket barrier, which looked like lift doors.
Hope you had a good holiday & hubby is okay..

I had an absolutely fantastic holiday, hubby is fine thanks.

Sanji
Thxs Sanji, looks like an easy train ride from now on then.. :)
P.S thanks for taking time to post pic's, it does make things much easier, to actually see the area. :tup
Hi All,
Were staying going to the griego mar in torremolinos, 19th October, but we are not arriving in the airport until 11pm , at this time of night would it be advisable to use the trains if it was just my partner and I, I wouldn't ask but we have an 11 and a 7 yr old.
Incidentally does anyone know how far the grieg mar is from the train station, and how much the taxi would be.

thanks
If your flight doesn't land at Malaga until 11pm, you will have missed the last train.
I think the last train will get to the airport at 11.35pm (leaves Malaga at 11.30pm) so even without hold luggage you would be pushing it.
Shame, as the hotel isn't much more than half a mile from the station.
Sanji,
So helpful as usual. It does make it much easier seeing the pics. A daft question now from one who's used to using taxis and not trains- Where do you buy a ticket and if it's from a machine does it take a debit card? Also how do you know how much it costs to get to your stop? :rofl told you I was daft!
Shirl,
I'm sure Sanji will tell you more but I can at least tell you that the old machines took both coins and notes, not sure about cards. The prices are very cheap, about €1.35 to Torremolinos. They give change.
They have language options so easy to just press on the button for your station and up comes the price.
Thanks ash, I like to get things straight in my mind, although I don't go until April :really
Thanks for the replies, rather that take a chance with the train.
I've got a price £30.74 for a private transfer return which I premsume is a taxi, with "Airport Transfers" thanks to a link of holidaytruths can't fault that price, so I think I'll book it.
thanks again

Nicola
Leight,
If that is a return price then, yes, bite their hand off, quickly!
There are ticket machines at the top of the escalator, before the barrier... train times in Fuengi direction are 17 mins and 47 mins past the hour
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.