Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I've got those too Colleen, although it looks as if they might not be of much use. I am going to check it out what we should be taking. Having had one malaria scare (thankfully it wasn't) I am not going to take any risks. Have bought garlic capsules to start taking too. I will try anything.
Have bought garlic capsules to start taking too.

Have a look at the "myths" post 2 up!!!!
I know Tony, but I will try anything, the little blighters love me. I use 50% DEET, aftersun with insect repellent, repellants in the room, but they still get me.
Maybe something like an astronaut suit should help polly :rofl
Max13biker,
thanks for the links re: the malaria site, some good info on there and I think a lot of us should take note........jxk8.
Can you buy aerosol mossie spray with deet in calangute. I only usually use odomos cream. But its a bit difficult putting it on at the beach with all the sand before the blighters come out. I am taking some with me but a can doesnt go very far and dont want to run out.
Thanks
Glad many of you all seem to be taking Plasmodium falciparum seriously, (This is the dangerous malarial parasite that is now in Goa) Don't take my word for it look at the following pharmaceutical websites.

http://www.malariahotspots.co.uk/

http://www.malarone.com/
You can buy a DEET-active spray to start you off here for less than a fiver (buy it before you get to Goa) - Jungle Formula - at Wilkinson's/Boots etc.

Other repellants, real and imagined are fine. That is a repellant, that's all. Everyone should stop DIY-ing, and then also speak about protection (ie chemical immunisation) from malaria by speaking to their GP/pharmacist, and if necessary present any updated info they have on chloroquine resistance/the rise of P. falciparum at the same time. There are recent links on this thread that may be of assistance.

What I would say is that you shouldn't ignore malaria prophylaxis, even if you have always done so for the past 15 years.
does anyone know if "MALARONE" anti malarials are available in goa.?
or does any one have the e-mail address of a chemist out there!!
thanks BOB
I am afraid not Bob, otherwise i would surely be buying them there, unfortunately they are a script only drug, I dont think getting a private script from your doc and taking it out to goa would work, certainly something to research.
Let me know if you find anything out
Ty Inger
I've checked out that it's the trade name for Proguanil - 100 mg with Atoveaquone 250 mg. So maybe ask in a chemist over there if they have anything which is made up of these 2, as maybe its just the trade name that's different? No idea if they will or not, but just a thought! :?:
this particularly to inger.
you can buy all sorts of presciption drugs over the counter in goa. i don't see why not malarone.
i just don't know if its reached there yet!!
BOB
Hi Bob, whilst in Goa earlier this year, I spoke to the chemist about anti malarials. I got mine over counter (the proquinal/choraquine ones - if thats how you spell them?). I also brought Larium (mefloquine) over the counter, which I believe are the strongest ones. The middle strength ones - malarone - are not available and are not sold in chemists over there. He said they were not licensed to sell them!!
Hi while in South Goa we bought Mefloc Mefloquine Hydrochloride 250mg
these are 1 per week tablets Rs160 for 4, have taken them for the last
2yrs with no side effects,started on them yesterday as we leave next Sat.
we have never bought these in the North but hoping to get them this time
has anyone had these in Candolim :?:
Ann :)
Help Please!!! Bought Chloroquine phosphate (500mg) tablets in January, am I right in assuming these are once a week for two weeks prior to departue, one a week whilst there and one a week for 4 weeks on returning?

Now the real question: Since reading the forum(going back as far as the begining) Is it correct that I also need proganil (paludrine) which need to be taken daily? If so is it as simple as going to any Chemist and asking for a course of them? Does anyone know approx the price, due to fly on the 24th so I need to get my bum in gear !
Sorted now, went to Boots and was told Definitely Won't need! So not beig one to heed advice went to Superdrug and the nice pharmacist has ordered me Paludrine/Proguanil to go with the shed full of Chloroquine Sulphate I already have for the princely sum of £10.50 per person, will be there to collect in the morning!
Malaria risk heightened in Jamaica and Goa

Agents and operators are being urged to highlight a heightened risk of malaria to clients travelling to Jamaica and Goa.

The National Travel Health Network and Centre has issued an update about malaria in both destinations on its website.

It said Jamaica's Ministry of Health has heightened malaria surveillance and introduced control measures after reports of a case of plasmodium falciparum malaria in a resident of Kingston, Jamaica - the second case to be reported in this area in the last few weeks.

An outbreak, which was first reported in Kingston in December 2006 and involved 370 cases, was thought to have been subsiding.

Although malaria prevention tablets are not recommended, travellers to Jamaica, in particular to the Kingston area, should be aware of the possible risk and protect themselves against evening and night-time biting mosquitoes.

Meanwhile, there has been a rise in malaria among residents in Goa in the first six months of 2007 with 788 cases compared to 240 during the same period in 2006.

There has also been a cluster of malaria cases among UK travellers who visited Goa between December 2006 and March 2007 and cases of other European travellers as recently as August.

Agents were urged to recommend malaria prevention tablets for travellers visiting Goa, particularly those visiting areas north of Panaji and those who will be remote from medical care

A spokesman for ABTA said: "Under our Code of Conduct, members need to inform clients of health requirements that are compulsory for the journeys to be undertaken, and also advise clients travelling abroad to check recommended practice with their GP, practice nurse, or travel health clinic."

For full details go to http://nathnac.org/pro/clinical_updates/index.htm

With permission from Travelmole
Hi aarond

The mefloquine you speak of I purchased in the north in April. We stayed at the Osborne Hotel, which I think is sort of Calangute/Candolim border. Got them from United Chemists, just around the corner from Osborne. Cant remember the rupee rate, but worked out for 8 tablets (8 weeks worth) was £3.50. They were sold in packs of 4.
JANNERLILLY thanks for information staying our first 5nights
in that area so will visit United Chemist to restock,
ann :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.