Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Walks which ones are they ?
8)

Hi Elli,
They are the same as i sent you, not at home so cant check on the name lol And do you take them the wk before or is it 2wks before.

Thanks
Pip
x
Blinking Blimey!!

When I saw the practice nurse two weeks ago, she checked the information she had in front of her and it said that Proguanil Hydrochloride and Chloroquine Phosphate tablets should be sufficient.

It is these I have been taking for the past few days.

I am all of a dither now - what should I do? I leave for Goa on Saturday.
I've spoken to a nurse, GP and 2 different pharmacists over the past month and all 4 said chloroquine and proguanil. I'm not taking chloroquine personally due to its psoraisis side effects. The advice really does seem to differ so in addition to the tablets I'll be covering myself in the best mozzie repellant sprays I can lay my hands on and try to stop the bleeters biting me in the first place.
Walks the ones you sent me are Chloroquine Phosphate im sure as Sydney says you have to take them with Proguanil Hydrochloride. The ones im taking are completely different and are similar to Doxycycline.
8)

Thanks Elli,

I am sorry then because i brought you and myself the wrong ones,they are all so confuseing, I best get myself sorted out oh dear me!!

Thanks pip
x :oops:
Ellie do you know how much your tablets cost and can they be taken by children?

Thanx

debi
Debgreg they were 9.50 for the prescription. Im not sure about giving them to children and i cant look at the information leaflet that came with them as I gave that to a friend. Maybe try google.
debgreg, have a look HERE
It lists 7 types of tablet, 1 made for children, malarone paediate, lists all details of each tablet :wink:
I was at my doctors today (travelling to Goa on the 8th Dec) and because of the recent confusion on the Malaria tablets she made a couple of calls to check and the reccomended one is 'Paludrine/Avloclor (Proguanil Hydrochloride tablets 100mg/Chloroquine Phosphate tablets 250mg). I bought them from the pharmacy, they were £15.20. The pack says they are suitable for children in a smaller dose. Hope this helps.
Each time I have been to India/Goa I have always used Avloclor(proguanil+chloroquine) but after the reported cases of 5 people having contacted the strain Plasmodium Falciparum resulting in the death of a young German women have now decided to use Lariam(Mefloquine250mg) instead. Although the cost of approx £2.20 per tablet sounds high, you only need 10 tabets for a 3 week stay which works out approx £8 more than Avloclor, which isn't as good as Lariam :!: Not only that, Lariam is only taken once a week :D It seems surgeries aren't yet up to date with what's been going on in Goa and are still saying all you need is proguanil+chloroquine :roll: Would much rather play safe than sorry :!:
Hope you get on ok with the Lariam Tony, I took them three years ago , on Doctors advice, but they didn't agree with me. Had bad mood swings, making me quite aggresive at times, and lost my appetite, so didn't enjoy the good food. On the other hand and my hubby had no side affects, maybe it's a female thing :roll:
Hi lassigirl, hope your well. I should be ok, have never had a side effect from any type of tablet up to now but, will start 3 weeks before I go in March to check all is well with it :wink:
Hi this is the advice given on travel doctor;

the only drugs at this moment in time effective against the strain of malaria in Goa are Malarone,Larium or Doxycycline (or the fansidar,which i think are American and are similar to Doxy) the practice nurses and doctors are not giving out the right advice :roll: Scary
Only ever took Larium once (went to Kenya a few years ago) I would never take them again. I would rather take a chance without tablets than take them.....Keith
Having read Lassigirl and Keith posts, decided to investigate Lariam on the net, it dosen't make good reading with the side effects :!: I know medicines affect different people in different ways but, Lariam seems fairly universal in having bad effects in all sorts of people who have never suffered these effects :shock: Have now decided to use Malarone, 3 times more expensive but, reading reviews, seems to have little or no side effects to most people :!: Would welcome peoples comments who have used either Lariam or Malarone and how they got on. Will be visiting my GP to discuss this with him, just want some background info first. Feel free to PM me with your replies rather than on here if you wish, many thanks, Tony :wink:
PS. Thanks lassi and keith.
Reading this with interest, we have our appointment booked for next Friday to get a prescription for one of the above, not completely sure at the moment which one to ask for
Tony I dont want to put anyone off as its thier choice on what they decide to take. I hardly ever take any form of tablets and when I have had to, I have never had any sort of side effects until I (and my O/H) took Larium.My O/H was worse than me (she would go from being happy to physco in the blink of an eye) also she said she had nightmares, I just felt really nauseous with them, other guests we spoke to were the same who were taking Larium (they were the only recommended tablets for Kenya at the time) If I am not mistaken I think Larium were taken off the market at one point, as I said this was my experience and doubtless there will be people who have taken them with no side effects.....Keith
Miccie, the problem seems to be at the moment that people are visiting their GPs and being given the outdated advice of all you need is the likes of Avloclor, not knowing of the cases that have occured in Goa and the warnings of this by such sites as WHO.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.