Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Lozza

we have ordered the doxy form the chemist,it is £9.50 pp for 2weeks (you need a private prescription) one of the side effects is it could make you more sensitive to the sun (need to be more vigilant I suppose)

You can use the P&C but it is not effective against the deadly strain that(although only a few cases) is now present in Goa. The choice has to be down to the individual. The best option (only because it has the least side effects) is Malarone but it costs at least £55 pp for 2 weeks

The decision is up to you :roll:

Debi
Thanks Debi... decisions decisions!!

Oh well I've got a while to decide and will see what my nurse says!! Thanks for your help!

Lx
Having read about the increase in malaria in Goa and about to arrive on our 1st trip to the area - can anyone advise if mosquito nets are available to buy there or if we bring our own will it be okay to use then in the hotel?

We have already purchased and are due to start taking the combined malaria tablets and would like to have additional preventative measures when sleeping.

many thanks
You can buy plug in repellents for your bedroom.
I have never seen mosquito nets over there, we shut our windows & doors and leave a coil burning when we go out at night.
A mosquito net needs to be hung above your bed and you may find nowhere to hang it apart from the fan, this leads to all sorts of problems when someone switches it on.
You can buy mosquito nets from Argos that go over either a single bed or double bed and do not need to be hung from the ceiling cost £13 and £20.
But in my opinon this is going way over the top. I have been to Goa on 4 occasions and also travel to Gujarat state to visit my wifes family and have never seen the need for a net. We use the plug in devices that you put a small tablet on. We shut all doors and windows once it gets dark and then plug the device in for the night. Also its a good idea when you go out in the evening to spray the exposed parts of your body with a good insect repellant if you are prone to being bitten. I don't personally bother with the spray but both my wife and son do as the mossies seem to like them. Whatever you do don't let the we beasties spoil what will be a fabulous holiday.
You can buy an aerosol (like our fly spray) when your there, and spray the room on your way out. I think the plug ins are adequate or citronella oil or candles are quite good,or leave the A/C on while your out, them mozzies dont like the cold....Keith
We bought an oil plug-in from Boots and found it very effective!! Also used Jungle Formula. The ceiling in our hotel room was so high we would never have been able to use a mozzie net - not that we felt the need to. Although, when we stayed in Palolem the beach huts had nets over the beds!
Thanks for everyone's advice. Will stick with the preventative lotions etc
Help - I need some urgent advice.
My boyfriend and I travel to Goa on Monday. My doctor prescribed me Paludrine/Avloclor. My boyfriend's prescribed him Doxycycline.
I (as instructed) started taking the tablets a week prior. However my boyfriend has just read the leaflet in with his, and it advises him to take two days prior but warns you to stay out of the sun. His worst nightmare! My boyfriend loves doing nothing but sitting in the sun and is now absolutely gutted! If he had known this he would have bought the Paludrine/Avloclor. We're thinking he should take mine and we buy him a pack tomorrow. But he's worried that he will only have taken the tablets two days prior rather than a week. Can anyone offer any advice and do you know why we should take Paludrine/Avloclor a week prior and Doxycycline only two days prior! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Help - I need some urgent advice. I know we have a malaria post but I really need some advice ASAP.
My boyfriend and I travel to Goa on Monday. My doctor prescribed me Paludrine/Avloclor. My boyfriend's prescribed him Doxycycline.
I (as instructed) started taking the tablets a week prior. However my boyfriend has just read the leaflet in with his, and it advises him to take two days prior but warns you to stay out of the sun. His worst nightmare! My boyfriend loves doing nothing but sitting in the sun and is now absolutely gutted! If he had known this he would have bought the Paludrine/Avloclor. We're thinking he should take mine and we buy him a pack tomorrow. But he's worried that he will only have taken the tablets two days prior rather than a week. Can anyone offer any advice and do you know why we should take Paludrine/Avloclor a week prior and Doxycycline only two days prior! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We have all got doxy (see my previous posts) as there is a resistance at present in Goa to P&C with a strain of Malaria. The side effects says possible sun sensitivity but if they are giving them to people going on holiday they surely can't expect them to keep out of the sun. :? We are just going to use a higher factor sun cream,umberellas and t shirts and hope for the best 8)
Debi
He has been given 50 tablets on prescription. We have looked all over and it does not say how many he should take.
This is making him stress all the more. Can you please advise how many you take in a day.
Thanks
Thanks for all the advice so far.
Trust him to leave it till the last minute and he calls me for being to organised x
Hi treacle toffee I suggest going to a chemist for advice somewhere like Boots just to be sure, they shoud be able to give you accurate advice and are open on Sundays. Hope your boyfriend sorts it out as going to Goa and having to stay out of the sun just doenst compute. Good Luck!
I went to Boots chemist last week to enquire, and the lady said she didnt know of a resistance to the tablets that we normally take (forgot the name), so she said go and see your GP
Treacle Toffee - Both Hubby and I took Doxycycline ( fansidar) last year. We spent every day on the beach and had no side affects what so ever.

Each person reacts differently to every drug.

If you read the leaflet that comes with Paracetamol you wouldn't take them.
Im still very confused, after a trip to my doctors today i told him i have heard there is a resistance to the anti malaria tablets Paludrine/Avloclor , to which he replied, hang on i will have a look in my book. Then he said i am not aware of this, so i would recommend you take Paludrine/Avloclor.

I enquired about malarone, but indeed this is very costly.
I went to the doctors on friday and he gave me a private presciption for Malarone he said this was the best tablet for the strain of malaria in goa, it cost me £110.02 for the two of us, a lot of money but your health comes before the cost. :) :P Very happy as i am now organised for our holiday. I would not have been if it was not for all you great people on the forum Many Thanks to you all. :ghug
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.