Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Have you been given this stopover option? It seems very strange. Surely you would stopping in the Maldives on the way to Singapore? The Maldives stopovers are usually places like Dubai or Sri Lanka.
Have been to Singapore by the way and am going again this year. I will do a search and pull up my report for you.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11047&highlight=singapore
Hope this helps!
By the way we went to Singapore before flying to Koh Samui. This year it is a stopover on the way to Bali.
Intrigued as to which airline you'd be going with (Sri Lankan?) as this is not one of the more usual routings.

Plenty of fine hotels in Singapore. Things to do of course include shopping, eating out - the Clarkes Quay area quite lively at night - sometimes has a traditional Chines opera playing, harbour and river cruises, plus all the usual pleasures of a modern city. Getting around is a doddle and cheap - taxis or MRT. Singapore Zoo is famous for its night safari, Sentosa Island a pleasant change from the bustle of the city can be reached by cable car from Mount Faber, of by ferry or causeway.
Singapore is about 1500 miles from the Maldives so a two centre is a better bet as you will be flying 3000miles for a stop over.I havent been to the Maldives but spent 2 whole weeks in Singapore and still did not see everything.Its a marvelous place and is like being in China, India,middle east and Malay as every district is very different.Go and you wont be disappointed.
Can you tell me what are the things that must be seen and done in Singapore?
We are going to Singapore again in 5 weeks, this will be our 7th time in the last 6 years. We always stay at Sheraton Towers Hotel, very good value for money and right next door to Newton's MRT station.

Depending how long you are there, you will be able to find enough to fill every day. Make sure you visit, China Town and eat in one of the coffee shops, supurb food and very cheap, if you have time there is the China Town Heritage Museum which is very interesting. If you go to Little India, you must go to The Mustafa centre, an experience for cheap shopping. Just walking around the streets of Little India is fascinating.
Eat at the Banana Leaf if you like spicy food.

The zoo and night safari are well worth visiting, as is Sentosa although a little bit touristy for our liking. The cable car that takes you there is fun.

We also hired bikes and spent a day at East Coast Park, cycling along the coast and stopping for lunch at a hawker centre. A river trip is a way of spending a couple of hours, also a half day event is going to Tea Chapter in China town where they demonstrate the history of tea making etc.

We have also taken a day trip to Pula Urbin. The only part of Singapore that resembles how Singapore used to be. You get a boat from Changi Village. You can hire bikes here to.

My husband has also been to the Changi War Museum which is easy to get to by MRT.

You can visit the Ming Potteries, and watch the pieces being made and painted and purchase items there. Also the Jurong Bird Park is a great day out, to be honest the list is endless so I will stop now.

Any more info please ask.

You will have a great time in Singapore and I am sure you will return.
Hi there,
We did a week Singapore last year and then on to the Maldives for 2 weeks. It's about a 4 hr flight from Singapore (not that long really) but well worth it. It was the second time we had visited Singapore and will definatley be going back again. We flew to Singapore with Singapore airlines which are second to none. From Singapore to Male then Male to London was with Emirates which was ok but not a patch on Singapore airlines. I would highly recommend this holiday it was fantastic. We went through Thomsons but wouldn't go with them again though, we'd do it ourselves.
Have a great time, I'm green with envy
Janb
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.