Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
MISSED CALLS
14 Posts
When you switched your phone on in Benidorm, did it find the local network like Movistar, Amena. ?

You will get a message welcoming you to Spain even from "English" networks.......blah blah blah.
  • Edited by Sanji 2006-07-31 17:19:27
yes, I was on amena all through the holiday, but kept my phone switched on in my safe, this is really puzzling as I really didnt give my number to anyone
You don`t have to give your number to anyone and it doesn`t matter whether the phone is in the safe or your pocket, the fact is, you activated it by switching it on in another country.
Always used to happen to me when I used the same sim card that I use in the UK.
Sometimes happens with my Spanish phone...Amena will send a message telling me of the lastest offer if I put X amount of Euros on the phone.

If you`ve not given your number to anyone, then that`s all I can think it will be.

SanJi x
yes, recieved the normal "welcome to spain" message, but this was a missed call, and it was a local number as you can see, I recieved the second missed call yesterday when I returned home, and the same number has just tried to ring me an hour ago (I was in the car with music playing). If it was the network ringing me, 1. the number would not show up, 2. If it did, it wouldnt be a local landline number (which it is)3. they wouldnt try to ring me when im home.
Also... The network would not try to ring me on three consecutive days at the same time of day, they would just text me, this is really strange.
This is guesswork but I can't believe a mobile phone can get a signal when it's shut inside a metal box! So when you close the safe the phone loses the service. You open the safe to take money out, phone detects a signal, reconnects to service and they send a welcome message, by which time you've shut the safe and it fails to get through! So you could have a message for every time you open the safe, but as I say, pure guesswork.
This is guesswork but I can't believe a mobile phone can get a signal when it's shut inside a metal box! So when you close the safe the phone loses the service. You open the safe to take money out, phone detects a signal, reconnects to service and they send a welcome message, by which time you've shut the safe and it fails to get through! So you could have a message for every time you open the safe, but as I say, pure guesswork.

no, this was a missed call from a benidorm landline, not a text message, and 2 of these calls were when I was in england
rang me again today, this time I answered, It was some company asking if I was interested in viewing spanish property, I fell for the free prize draw back in feburary at the airport on my last visit to benidorm, it must have just been a coincidence that they tried to ring me whilst I was in benidorm. Obviously I told the where to go :lol:
Awww, and here was me thinking some lovely Senorita was trying to get in your pants :rofl
What a let down :cry:

SanJi x
kross wrote:
I fell for the free prize draw back in feburary at the airport on my last visit to benidorm

Hi Kross. I assume you must have revealed your Mobile Number whem you enterered the 'Free' prize draw? if not, it still does not explain how this Company got your number.
yes I did, it was just a coincidence that they called whilst I was in benidorm, I assume its the same company that I entered the free draw with, there called something international (begining with an a)
Just got back from Benidorm and have had the same calls but missed them to. I filled in one of them prize draw things to, Ill know next time!!! Was panicking then I thought we had left something in the room. Oh well never mind. But this site is so useful. Thank You HT.
I'm sure you only get one welcome message when abbroad, apart from them offering you a few things. The safe shouldn't make any difference as when i turn my phone off it loses the signal but when i turn it back on I don't recieve a new message!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.