France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Mobile Homes
17 Posts
Hi Finches

You may get a better response if you post in our Camping and Caravanning forum further down the main page.

luci :wave
We went to the south of France a couple of years ago and had to shop around to find any with air-con. Eventually found some vie Canvas Hols.

Gill
Canvas Holidays, Eurocamp and Keycamp all have a limited supply of mobile homes with air-conditioning. We've going to St Raphael at the end of June and found that most of them were already booked (we found one with Canvas Holidays).
Not hot at all. But we were in the Vendee so a nice breeze. Most of the homes have good insulation, even that older 15+ flat roof ones.

It is a different heat - dry and not muggy so it is not so uncomfortable. A single sheet and not a duvet is good for the night time and some open windows (or a fan on slow speed) to allow air flow, seems to work the best.

A/C is an expensive crutch - if the unit is not modern then it rattles and bangs and hums all night long. Try sleeping next to your fridge sometime to hear the strange gurgles and groans that it makes. :yikes
I feel that Barry D has been very lucky in his mobile homes in the heat! If you don't have climatisation (to avoid that word in the filter!) you do risk having a very hot home ...... some of which can be alleviated by the situation of nearby trees or the way it's facing ............

But I'd strongly advise that cooling feature that cannot be mentioned without the swear filter interfering for mobile homes in France in the summer!

And I think they're pretty rare.
Wimp, 15 years ago A/C was non existant. Buy a €10 fan to shunt the hot air around. Newer caravans are actually worse as the double glazing makes them hotter - but then they have better insulation in the walls so I think it balances out.

For my money - it's a drier heat so not as bad as the "heavy" heat in the UK. If you want to be cool/cold then why on earth head south? Go to Scotland. :tongue
Air con is exactly that, a con. You live outside and have all the windows open when you are indoors. Why would you want to go all that way then sit inside with all the doors and windows closed just so you can listen to the Air Con working? If you like it cold then take your holidays in the UK!
I find that a glass or two of wine before retiring induces a good sleep. Air-con in a mobile home indeed! Mine's under a tree in Argeles sur Mer, so it doesn't get roasted by the sun all day.

Where I live (Portugal) everyone (except me) has air-con on full blast now and the noise is incredible, so the wine comes in handy again.
Just a word of explaination! The word C*O*N* (without the asterisks and in lower case) as in air conditioning cannot be used on this site as it is recognised immediately by the swear filter and appears as ???? because it cannot tell the difference between the shortened form of air conditioning and the form that implies a swindle or taking your money from you under false pretenses!!
I think air con in a mobile home is an extra benefit - some obviously disagree - but I view a mobile home as being an 'extra benefit' compared to staying in a tent - and the modern tents of today, complete with fridges etc, could be viewed as an 'extra benefit' over basic camping in a field with no toilets! Perhaps that makes us all wimps!

Gill
But air kon only works effectivly if all the windows and doors are closed which rather spolis the reason for camping in the first place.
For the reasons mentioned by Alsacienne, aircon (one word) may be a better abbreviation of air conditioning.

David :wave
I hadn't realised Holiday Truths had a multi-lingual swear filter.

And yes we are all wimps now. When I was a lad, slept in tent in field next to cows. Never again.
We have aircon in our new mobile home in Frejus,its not noisy at all,very quiet.we had it fitted in June this year and have had great feedback from our clients.Also you dont have to have ALL the doors and windows closed for it to work,it works fine with them open.Maybe it depends what type you get fitted.Our mobile is on a very sunny plot,gets the sun most of the day,we do have a gazebo,but its nice sometimes to go in and cool down for a few minutes.
Mandy
I'm sure it works fine with the windows open but then all you are doing is cooling down the residents of Frejus!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.