France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Emma have you thought about buying a portable DVD player? You will be able to use this in your mobile home.
Yes, I know....but a television would be better once I'd seen all the DVDs for the umpteenth time!!
Pack of cards, charades etc.
One of the best things about holiday abroad is that there is no telly! 2 weeks without soaps of fotty, great!
Emma, have a look at http://www.frenchmobilehomes.com they have mobiles in Camping La Sirene in Argeles Sur Mer, Southern France. Their mobiles have tv's in them. I know its a long way down there, but it's a great site, we're going in August & I can't wait.
The main reason we don't have TV is the 2 week break fro it HEAVEN

No soaps dramas or rubbish

What can be better than an after dinner stroll on the beach and sitting by candlelight (citronella) chatting to other campers about what you all did during the day with large glasses of red wine beer or a large one

Plus we tend to eat later so enjoy more of the day 7-9pm at night before Dinner is served
What can be better than an after dinner stroll on the beach and sitting by candlelight (citronella) chatting to other campers about what you all did during the day with large glasses of red wine beer or a large one

Sounds like heaven to me and I don't do camping as a rule :)
So, none of you have ever been camping when the weather has been terrible, then!!.....
Thereis a site in North Brittany I know of

Its under the http://www.yellohvillage.com chain

http://www.yellohvillage.com/camping_village/le_ranolien/index.php3?langue=en&ctv=0

The TVs in their mobiles come with english programmes

bbc1/2 ITV C4

Great to see the news in the morningm and when the weather is rubbish

The evenings arent that warm in this part of the world so it was a real plus

Good luck
Yes we have been camping when the weather is terrible. Then you sit under cover, put on a woolly and drink red wine with the neighbours. Still better than watching corrie.
We've been camping and caravanning in the rain too but we go prepared for such eventualities by taking books, games etc with us. Even with small children we've never found it to be a problem not to have a tv and in fact we relish the opportunity to spend time with them without the demands for the tv to be put on.
I'm always amazed at peoples answers to a simple questions. Emma asked if there were any mobile homes with TV in the South of France. She got a variety of answers only two or three actually answering the question, the rest giving advice on what she should do rather than watch TV. She didn't ask what to do in the evenings/when it rains or what other people like to do on their holidays. Why do people feel the need to tell others how they should spend their holidays.
Couldn't agree more Judith - also why does everyone assume the tv is needed to "watch Corrie"?
Thanks, ladies!

I realise that everybody is different and every family enjoys doing different things on holiday. But you're right, I didn't expect to be offered alternatives!

To put the matter straight (though I shouldn't have to justify myself!), I haven't watched Corrie for years...or any other of the soaps, come to that.

I just happen to think that in my case a TV would add to my holiday enjoyment...that's all. Not to watch it all day but to catch up on news and late at night.....here I go, justifying myself!

Thanks anyway. Surely some more of you out there know what I mean?
Hi Emma-d,

I know what you mean, and I'd like to be able to watch French TV as well to learn more about France. We take a radio to try and catch BBC radio news and other programs, because some of the ones provided aren't up to much.

I suspect TVs are not standard equipment because they are relatively expensive and could walk, then there are the problems of reception and fitting each van with suitable aerials. Must confess have toyed with the idea of buying a set, but potential aerial problems have put me off.

The great danger is that in the absence of a TV, one is in danger of, heaven forbid, of actually having to talk to one's better half!!

Hope someone posts on this quickly, 'cos if 'er indoors reads this I'm dead.

Peter
I did wonder about taking a portable tv this year because of the football but the campsite is going to show the games anyway.
That has solved that problem.

I presume that by taking a portable tv, it can be tuned to pick up local tv?
Hi Luddy,

A UK portable TV is most unlikely to work in France as they use a different system.

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.