Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
unlocked
181 Posts
Hi

Does anyone know if I'll be able to text home from my mobile? Only daughter only has a mobile no longer got landline & I like to keep in touch.

Thanks
AJ
Yeah thats no prob AJ

LA
I was looking at the Fethiye Times website and noticed an article about
problems using a UK mobile in Turkey. It all sounds very complicated, something about declaring it at Customs on arrival, showing your original invoice or filling in a form then sending it to the Turkish mobile phone network. My husband and daughter love to use their phone while abroad but Im wondering if they will be able too?

http://www.fethiyetimes.org.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=495&Itemid=58
Just re read that article, I think its only a problem if you want to get a Turkish Sim card for your UK mobile phone!

Da
Thats right,
Its only applicable for handsets which have been bought from other countries outside Turkey, for use in Turkey with Turkish sims.

Elaine
really confused, have read from the start, but we are going soon and have an old phone, which is unlocked, was going to get a local sim when we are there, but have no receipt, was putting it in suitcase as not using it till after been there a few days, but what if you forget to register, really not sure what to do, will they take it away?
Kaytony

You will be OK using your unlocked UK mobile with a local sim if your just going for a holiday - Its when your over there using it for a couple of months they will block it

We bought a sim for 20 lira (includes 100 credits) in August saved us a small fortune over the 2 weeks

LA
Thanks, we will try it out, not sure what the credits are and how many calls that would allow, any ideas?
I spoke to my mobile provider today, to discover its £1.60 per min for me to call home and that I have to pay £1.29 per minute for everyone who calls me :( not quite sure what the point in having Vodafone passport is when its not valid in every place I seem to go on my holidays :lol:
So, Im just wondering what options i have alternatively to this and what is the best way to be able to call/text home, any ideas would be appreciated . . .

Thanks in advance

Karen x
Texting will cost you about 50p per text.

All over every resort in Turkey, there are phone boxes, which use phonecards. You can buy the phonecards at any grocers, minimarket, or the PTT (Turkish equivalent of the post office). You put the phonecard in the phonebox, and away you go. Its by far the cheapest way to call the UK from Turkey.

Elaine
I used my vodafone contract July 2006 and it cost me 24p to text home. I always bought the phone card to make any phone calls though.

Mary x
mm I have a vodafone business contract, and they said that it will cost that 34p, but also the UK rate I pay for a text message which is 12p, so totally 47p. I didnt know if it would be possible to buy a sim locally to use because I receive texts free, but seeing as Im a texting queen and probably send a good 75 texts a day, wanted to do it a cheaper way :lol:
I go to Marmaris 4 times a year and I found it better by using a Turkish Network SIM CARD. My is phone is all networks and usually I'm on T - Mobile.

In Turkey I use a TURKCELL Network sim card, for a couple of quid I get around 150 credits. To send a text message in the resort is 1 credit and to send a text message home it's 3 credits. Making phone calls is a lot cheaper aswell.

By doing this I've saved hundreds of pounds over the last few years.

As my missus also has a TURKCELL Network Sim card texting each other is so cheap, as your not paying UK exchange prices.

Ekin Legend :D :D :D
Hi I would just like to say its costs about a £1 for a text from vodaphone contract phone ive bought a pay as you go to use well im there i had a turkish sim card in my phone left it for my friend too use and it blocked it 3 weeks on phone useless best thing when phoning home is get a phone card and use the public phone box

Wendy
Hi

Last June I bought a Turkish sim card for my phone. It was great and used it when i went over in June and again in July. When I returned in September the sim card would no longer work even though i had credit left on it. The guy in the Turkcell shop told me there is a block on all phones not purchased in Turkey and you can no longer use Turkish sim cards in english phones

Chris
Hi I would just like to say its costs about a £1 for a text from vodaphone contract phone
The prices I have of the 34p and the UK text rate of 12p were what my the Vodafone business centre said to me yesterday on the phone, I do not have a normal contract, but am on a business/company contract as its a company phone :)
Hiya
I have a turkcell sim card which ive had since i lived in turkey in 2005.I am now in england and is on roaming so that i can still recieve calls or texts on the turkish sim.Aslong as the phone was registered with the same sim card when you bought the phone it will not block the phone.My sim card works fine in the phone which i used when i bought the sim but if i put it into another mobile it will then not allow me to use it in that phone only the registered one.Hope that makes sense :D Getting a turkish sim is so much cheaper for texting back home and for calling people in turkey :lol:
You no longer have to declare your UK Mobile to Customs in Turkey.Just take it to either The Turkcell Shop or Telsim depending who you are with.You must have your Passport with you along with a Photo Copy of the ' Entry into Turkey ' Page from your Passport.If you are here on A Two week holiday, Don't bother as Turk Telecom will only block After 3 / 4 weeks and only if you have a Turkish Sim.

Ian
I am thinking of buying a mobile phone in Marmaris next month when I go, just to use when I go on holiday to keep in touch with friends in Marmaris, but also if its cheaper to text home I will use it.

How much roughly will it cost to buy a phone out there?

Mary x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.