Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We are supposed to be flying with them from Manchester in December. Hope they don't change ours. I may not have enough holidays for another day off.
At least the flight times havent been an inconvenience for you Spike, but it might be for others. People might have booked connecting flights from other UK Airports to Heathrow and Manchester or as Brenliz says maybe some people dont have any extra days leave from work they can use.
By the way Spike we are also flying out Saturday 20 March. Hopefully see you over there.
So, how many flights a week are there now?
I was on the Thomas Cook flight on Saturday from Gatwick, and got cancelled and bumped to Monarch.
You were on the Saturday Monarch flight from Manchester and got bumped to the Thursday one.
So, are we down to one Thomson flight and one Monarch flight on Saturdays for Gatwick and one Thomas Cook and one Monarch flight from Manchester?
Monarch cancelled their Saturday Manchester flight from the start of the season, last week.There will also be other changes before the start of the season but not sure which flights will be affected as yet

John
I have just received this info from my travel agent

Hiya, Just spoke to Jewel in the Crown and yes they emailed us your flight change on Friday. Monarch have cancelled their Saturday flights with Jewel and so have had to transfer you onto the Friday flight which is direct outbound and inbound. The flight times are as follows.

11 December 2009 Manchester 1700 Goa 0815 12 December 2009
2 January 2010 Goa 1015 Manchester 1530

I suppose the good part is it is direct and we will have a day to recover when we come home instead of going straight back to work with hardly any sleep. Just have to wangle another day off work now.

Thanks for the info Spike.
Apparently Olympic and Cosmos are still selling the Saturday flights. My niece (who books my holidays) telephoned them to ask them why they are still selling Saturday flights and they said they haven't been told any different. Maybe its only Jewel in the Crown who have had their allocation changed. Time will tell.
Forgive my thickness :que but have Monarch cancelled ALL Saturday flights from Manchester. It's just that we have booked Sat the 20th of Feb and if it changes we would need to know sooner rather than later (due to work).....Keith
I would make a few phone calls asap Keith. My guess would be that all Saturday flights are not going from Manchester with Monarch, but I have only been informed for my flight in March.
Last year all Friday flights were fine up to end of January, and then all switched to Saturday.
Spike
All Saturday flights with Monarch from Manchester have been cancelled. My niece who works for Global Holidays checked with Monarch yesterday. She asked why Olympic and Cosmos were still selling Saturday flights and was told they were "very naughty" and shouldn't be and they were going to contact them about this. We have now had official notification to say our flight has changed to Friday and it is now a direct flight.
Thanks for the quick replies we will contact Monarch or Travel agent today and let you know what they say......thanks again Keith
It seems this year with the way the economy is this will happen more and more.I would be very concerned about booking a holiday with a charter airline involved.They have no compunction about cancelling routes and schedules as they see fit.

This year if we go at all I am really looking at booking scheduled.No guarentees I know but connecting through the middle east with one of the big mid-east carriers seems like a better bet to me.

With qatar now doing doha to goa 3 times a week looks good to me.

Anyway looking at some of the prices the big operators are charging at the moment they are seriously taking the p***

Tough times we live in.
We have just been informed that our flight with Monarch from Manchester in March is now going direct with no stop over at Baharin (gonna miss this..)
Should be an hour earlier landing now though.
What next..

UP DATE ADDED!
Original flight departure time was 3.15pm (land 8.00am)
New daparture time 5.00pm (land 8.15am)
Hi, we ahve booked with olympic for our 3 weeks hols in jan, flying from manchester 16/01
I had heard that monarch had cancelled their flights to goa, I contacted olympic on the 2/7
to ask whether this was correct, and got a very unhelpful lady, who would not directly answer my question, but what she did say they were still selling saturday departures cos that is what people
want. How very naughty to take peoples money knowing full well that saturday flights are being cancelled. I wonder when they are going to inform us of the changes
Had the dreaded phone call today. "You have not replied to our letter informing you of changes to your flight. We need to know whether you accept the changes by close of business today (6pm)" It would have been nice to have recieved a letter as we have to let our friends know of the changes (as we booked for the 4 of us) Thankfully we were expecting it and had informed our friends a couple of weeks ago (thanks to the notices posted here on the forum). It's still annoying that THEY can change your holiday without a care in the world, but you try and change YOUR holiday with them and see what they say......Keith...
PS
They are still selling holidays advertising SATURDAY departures... :yikes
Agree with Papa that that this year will be interesting because there are now good scheduled services to Goa with more space, better facilities and costing less than charters. Many Goa regulars are using them.

Monarch's stranglehold has been broken and it's clear that they are not filling planes because of the cancelled Saturday flights.

It's a crazy world - charter flights started years ago because they could undercut the scheduled operators. Now the scheduled operators are undercutting the charters! :que
DIY its the future .If the scheduled airlines can keep there prices simular to what they are now. i think the charter firms could be in real trouble next year. We booked 2 weeks in november with kingfisher staying at HBR for just under £1000 for 2 of us first choice wanted £1950 DONT THINK SO
:cheers NEIL :sun2
It is almost as if the Tour Operators are operating a Goan mentality i.e. less business put up prices.

Papa
The irony is we booked flights with Qatar and accommodation with Monarch. The rooms at the Marinha Dourada where down to £20 per night . ( seem to have sold them all now though)but we paid £24 21 nights = £504. Qatar for 2= £729 total= £1233
Last year with Portland we paid approx £1650 with the benefit of Thompson Air and a direct flight but for £500 more.
Monarch seem to be only able to offer the holiday from Gatwick now on that date and at a cost of £1842 and with the added benefit of a direct flight in cramped conditions for £609 more. I don't think so either !!!!!

Who says booking early doesn't pay !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.