Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Sorry to hear about your flight home from Goa - it sounded awful! However, I think you will find that Monarch have done what is required in providing you with lunch and then an overnight hotel. You will be able to claim on your travel insurance under the delay section (usually in the region of £30-40 for a delay of under 36 hours depending on the cover taken out) but I don't think Monarch will be liable for any compensation.

Maybe someone else more knowledgable will be able to confirm this for you.
Have been trawling back through various postings to find some info on this.

I did find this comment from one of the members of HT

"the legislation states that passengers who are delayed in excess of 5 hours and elect not to fly on the delayed service are entitled to receive a refund of their unused flight seats. However, those that travel on a delayed service are not eligible for refunds, and airlines are not required to pay compensation for delayed flights. this should be processed via your holiday insurance providers"

You did have an unfortunate experience and I can understand to some extent why you feel aggrieved.

Whilst I have not had the problem myself I do know others who have. Your story shows yet gain that people would accept delays, caused, as in this case, by circumstances beyond the control of carriers, if only someone would actually talk to them.

From personal experience in customer care, the most problems were caused by people not keeping them informed.

They did feed and accommodate you. The quality of the accommodation may not always be of the standard that people like but it can often be a case of trying to find somewhere at short notice.

I do think a strongly worded letter to Monarch complaining at the manner in which their representatives failed to explain things would be in order. Sometimes it can be a case of them (head office) not being aware at the manner in which customers have been treated.

If nothing else it may ensure that in the future the reps actually do as they should and keep people fully informed.

fwh
Yet again, some good words of wisdom fwh
I suspect that the reps were as much in the dark as the passengers - in this sort of situation the company itself doesn't know what's going to happen and and tends to fall back on saying nothing rather than saying it doesn't know or making promises that it probably won't be able to keep
I think most insurances will give you some money per every 12 hours delayed! It isn't a lot of money but you will x it by each member of your family and there shouldn't be any excess to pay either!
I have just received a very apologetic letter from Monarch with a cheque for £400 (£100 each) compensation. I also received an explanation letter for the insurance company within a couple of days of returning to the UK. I spoke to a very nice lady on the phone and have been quite impressed with their post flight service, maybe they are not so bad after all!!
good news Tracy. Thanks for getting back to us with a follow up :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.