Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Monastir Airport
26 Posts
Mike - do you mean on leaving Tunisia of course?

Prices at Monastir airoport are :shock: , that is true....

Also, if you do not have Sterling or Euros in cash and you want to pay by card - the minimum is 10 :shock:

I was very happy with my transfer back this year as arrived in Monastir only an hour before the flight, just had enough time to grab a camel ;) and some JD and Tibarine in the duty free and was boarding the plane.

The last 2 times though, they have "dropped" us off at Monastir something like 4 hours before the flight and that was :evil:

LOL

Just make sure you got some sterling/euros on your way back home.....
Hi Anna, yes it was out bound. Check in went really smooth and we just sat around watching planes take off and land. It was just the poor sarnies and prices that we didn`t like. The items for sale had prices marked up in Tunisian Dinas,but by the time you get there you shouldn`t have any Dinars left????? How did you find the prices in the Duty Free compared to that on the plane or back home? All marked up in Euro`s .....regards.... mike :D .. hope your camel is ok... :wink:
Mike- I bought 2 big 1 Litre bottles of JD, 1 750 bottle of Tibarine (that was cheaper than in a supermarket in Hammamet but not that much cheaper) and 4x200 Mars (local ciggies) :oops:

Camel - wawwwwwwwwwwwww, after all those really ugly things they are selling all over for tourists, that camel was lovelyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, bit pricey but looked so authentic - even though it's tag clearly said "Made in China" LOL

I find converting 3 currencies in my head a bit too much - prices at Duty Free Monastir were in Euros. I am ok with Dinars and Pounds - definitely not ok with Euros. To be honest, I did not even have a clue what the exhcnage rade with Euros was/is.

Paid by cc anyway so - whatever.... LOL

Food on departure is yuk as far as I am concerned but we left PEK at 1pm so had lunch before leaving.

Last year left kerkennah at 5 am :shock: for a transfer back (they are not flying to Sfax any more so have to go through Monastir-longggggggggggggg transfer from Kerkennah) and was starving by the time we got to Monastir only to discover the baddddddddddddddd choice of food on offer there.

Never mind - the food on the plane was even worse.

Had a nice curry on arrival home - East London ;)
I thought Monastir Airport was fairly good.

Taxi to front, chap helped with bags ... only had larger TD notes left, so offered him 2 euro's and he seemed happy

Exchange rate for surplus TD seemed OK , although instead I just spent them in shop before going thro' to departure lounge
( although was not asked if I had TD on me)

Departure lounge was roomy,- lots of seats and a few shops plus Duty Free , sandwiches fine- again offered cashier choice of euro, dollars , sterling or VISA and he said preferred euro's.. price was reasonable compared with other airports .

OK not massive / loads to do BUT Much better than many airports on Greek Islands or Sharm.... suppose a bit like East Midlands
It's worth printing off a couple of currency converters (sterling/dinars and sterling/euros) and taking them with you - laminated if possible - as all prices in the airports out there are in euros! The euro one may not be absolutely up to date of course as the rate does change, but at least it gives you an idea of what you are spending. Dinars are easier as it rarely varies much from about 2.300/2.400 to the £.
Just like to warn anyone traveling to Monister what what happened to one of our party after we went through passport control on our return journey (by then you must of spent all of your dinar). The shops only except sterling,euros and US dollars, on purchase of some food with a £20 note they tried to give us a 10 dinar note not a £10 note. Keep your wits about you, also they try and tell you that your duty free allowances are double the correct amount.
won`t be going to tunisia again!!!! just got back on sunday. airport ok coming home but when we got there it was chaos. it took 2 hours from getting off the plane to arriving at our hotel which is only 5 minutes from the airport. passport control is a disgrace, there must have been about 4 or 5 flights landed and we were all stuck in horrendous queues for about an hour and a half, the blokes checking visas etc were very picky and making people amend them which took forever they even made us write our flight number on each one so if you are going to tunisia beware. this has put us off tunisia forever
Hi

On several trips to tunisia I've found the passport control to be efficient and at times slow and cumbersome.

The best time to arrive at Monastir airport is early in the morning. My last flight arrived at 09:45am and it took around 45 minutes to get through the controls with queues, etc. It's always best to complete the landing form on the plane. Try to get off the plane and on one of the first buses, then once you get inside the airport join a queue ASAP. This time I cleared passport control and had my suitcase in less than 1 hour.

When I came in May and July the queues were horrendous because these were not early flights and there were several other flights landing at the same time. I admit when you have to spend much time queuing and waiting around it's not a good start to anyone's holiday neither is it a good first impression, but not many places are as efficient as the UK.

I have been to Goa and the passport control was far worse. I had to wait for over 2 hours and it was complete chaos, so I don't think Tunisia is so bad.
I'm due to arrive at Monastir at 23.20 on 1st October, the latest I've ever landed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. In April I flew into Tunis and was through passport control, bureau de change, luggage collection and in a taxi on the way to the station in less than 30 minutes but I've usually found Tunis rather more efficient than Monastir (and the food's better too :lol: )
I was flabergasted by the queue to get through passports on arriving from the UK to Monastir.

Never had to wait that long in a boring queue ever! It honestly must have been an hour an a half. The blasted queue was not even that long!!!
:shock:

Airport on the way home I thought was good. Cant remember how much drink and snacks cost in the shops, I must have had a few drinks before I had left hotel!
he he! :lol:
when i have travelled in the months of june and july i have found there is a wait to get through passport control but other times in october it has been a breeze lol htrough passport control and luggage within a hour lol
Booked Tunisia for 2007 and having second thoughts after reading reports on the airport regarding passport control taking hours to get threw. I will be travelling with 2 children and after a 3 and a half hour flight from Belfast this is the last thing you would want. We arrive at 03.30am in the morning. Would be grateful for some info if the airport would be busy at this time of the morning. :?
We arrived at 23.45 and were through passport control,had our cases in about 50mins [also changed some money].
My advice is sit near the back of the plane as it is nearly always quicker to get off anf therefore you're always on the firsdt bus to the terminal and reach passport control faster!!!!!
nodocdoe,thanks a million for the tip. Cheers Haddy :D
Hi Haddy,

I've just thought of something else, make sure you fill in your immigration cards before you get to passport control because alot of the hold ups are people that haven't so are having to fill them in at the desk.

Cheers Doreen
You will need to put your passport details on the immigration card so keep it handy on the plane.
We arrived at Monastir airport at about 10p.m, and had no problems at all, wasn`t long before we were on the bus. Just got nicely settled as brochure said transfer time was 30 mins, and we were told we were the first drop off in about 5 mins, so not long at all before we were at our hotel in Skanes.
Hi all, and thanks for your advice. Are the immigration cards handed out on your flight ?
Normally Yes.
Usually you have time to fill them in before you land.
As Asleema says makesure you have the passports to hand as you have to fill in passport nos etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.