Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
MOSQUITOS?
9 Posts
Yes Id definately take one- the liquid ones are great. We also took fly spray= and sprayed the rooms before going out.

We too took avon skin so soft dry oil- and its the only year (Out of 4)- we didnt get bite once- I have ordered 6 bottles- for next year (Just incase it gets discontinued!!).

BELLY
Thank you, I will go and get one then, much appreciated.
Take whatever mozzie repelents you can get your hands on, we had jungle formula with 50% deet but it did n`t stop me getting about 20 bites around each ankle which started to get infected, I had to make a visit to a local doctors and it cost me £100 for 2 injections and some cream
Now I live in Greece here's a few tips from the Greeks,
If there is a basil plant anywhere you are out drinking or eating, sit near it, the mozzies hate it, although avoid sitting too near other greenery &/or water. It's also good to pick a little & rub on your skin.
They absolutely love feet & ankles (as fatboyrover found out), often these are the bites you get in the evening when you are out for your meal or drink. Avoid sitting on grass areas & keep spraying some of your repellant under the table (I often see the Greeks do this).
If you do get bitten: as soon as you notice the start of the itch, & the telltale bump appearing, use a napkin/loo roll/hankie & dab the whole area with vinegar, it really does take the itching away. Stopping the itch is priority as it's the scratching & breaking the surface of the skin that leads to infection. A small plastic bottle of the cheapest vinegar is a good idea to keep in your room, if you're out just ask the restaurant/taverna owner for some. This works best when applied immediately, smaller bites won't even itch again at all, bigger ones you may need to reapply. Don't worry, the cheap vinegar doesn't smell very strong!
dojoman43 wrote:
Will we need to purchase one of the plug in deterrents when we go to Corfu at the end of the week?

Yep!

We have A/C so the windows/doors will never be left open.

That's what you think! Fine in theory but not in practice. You can keep your doors and windows shut all day long, but when the maids come in to clean and tidy then the doors get opened and left open while they are in and out.

Every day we'd find 4 or 5 new mosquitoes in our apartment after the maids had been in, and otherwise the doors and windows were never open.
My above posted advice is in addition to all the usual precautions. I agree that you need a plug in for your room, it's not just the maids leaving the doors open, you'd be surprised how many of the little sods can sneak in just in the few seconds you have the door open to get back into your room!
If you do purchase a spray for using before you go out in the evening make sure you spray under the bed & other furniture, that's where they often hide waiting for you!
I have been going for years to corfu, I always take Autan with Deet, it must contain Deet, and when in corfu buy the local mozzie spray, large can for about 2 euros, and spray your rooms every night when you go out and shut all the doors, and we have never got bitten once, the Autan is brillient, just spray your ankles of a night and morning, and also the mozzie wipes are good of a nite, for kids anyway lol, hope this helps
Also the jungle mossie bands - you can wear around your ankles- Ok its not the greatest fashion statement (Especially for us ladies), but if you dont fancy wearing it on an evening- (Which I didnt- but other half did)- you could always wear it overnight- I think the ones we got lasted 120 hours- which is about 6 days worth.

Belly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.