EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Getting a phone line installed will depend on what area you are going to be in. It could be a matter of ringing Telefonica and waiting a few days. Or it could take years.

If you are not confident with the language, Telefonica do have English speaking operators.

The only other phone line supplier that I know of is Nortons, but there again; it would depend on your area. If you are really remote, a satellite system would be your only (expensive) option.

Internet is expensive over here compared to the UK (so I am told). A 1Mb connection is about 39 Euro from Telefonica, and that speed is rarely achieved. Telefonica also advertise a 3Mb connection (surprisingly, for only a few Euro more), but that would be determined by how far you are from an exchange.

There are other internet suppliers, but they all rely on Telefonica phone lines, and when things go wrong the various suppliers will 'pass the buck', blaming each other, and it can be frustrating getting things sorted.

As far as getting your stuff over here, I would suggest that you check out the various online forums for your proposed area, as there are plenty of 'white van men' who would be available to you. Arrange your own insurance to be on the safe side.
Thanks Oly
It is the Nerja area I am going to.I have been staying there on and off for the last year so know the area pretty well.I have used internet cafes and was spending around 12 euros a week!
My Spanish is average!I have signed up for a refresher course!Do you know if this price for internet includes phone calls etc?I am thinking of getting a land line anyway so that my family can keep in touch.
Re buck passing!!!I have been fighting BT for 4 months re a problem when I was last home!!!
I think all phone companies are run by aliens!!! :shock:
Phone calls are extra with Telefonica, but there are plenty of places that advertise cheap international calls, or perhaps you can use Skype or similar.

Good luck with your move!
Sheila

The cost of transporting anything to Spain from the UK is fairly high. I know you are specifically concerned about your PC. I would suggest that if you can manage with a laptop, it is the way to go. Otherwise, I think it wise to purchase a PC in Spain.

The same goes for furniture. Remember, the price of furniture in Spain is usually way cheaper than UK prices.

From my experience, you are better off selling your worldly goods in the UK and purchasing new in Spain.

Hope this is of help.
Yep, I would go along with Leprosy on that one.

P.C.'s are less expensive over here and tend to be better spec. for the money. The down side is that the operating system will probably be in Spanish.

If you do flog your P.C. in the UK, keep hold of the English operating C.D. so it can be installed on any new system over here (you may feel confident with the Spanish language, but sorting out computing problems in Spanish calls for a different set of skills), and also keep hold of your Engligh keyboard.

As far as furniture is concerned, you can pay whatever you want here. 'Run of the mill'' stuff is cheaper, but you can go way over the top on designer items.

Is it just me, or does UK purchased furniture always look 'bulky' and 'out of place' in Spanish homes? (along with the carpets, curtains, conservatories and garden sheds which many Brits insist on!)
I brought my laptop over with me when I made the move, but soon bought a desktop over here. I would say that a Spanish keyboard is more useful here than a UK one - Euro key, accent key - upside down question and exclamation marks, Ñ aswell. The downside is you'll have to program a pound sign. If you are computer literate, I'd go for the Sanish operating system - it's a good way to get used to Spanish - windows is the same in Spanish as in English, so all the menues are the same.

When you are in Spain you could look at the cable TV operators for internet. I'm in the North-West of Spain, here we have an operator called 'R' who offer internet, TV and telephone. The sevice is reliable and competatively priced (for Spain). Orange offer combined packages aswell, oneTel is another but these two do use the Telefonica feeds.
Moving your computer:

I have done this several times, I remove the hard disks, put them in hand baggage, with the tower going in the hold baggage.

I would be more nervous with my flat screen, did this once - in its original box and had no problem.

All of this assuming you don't need your baggage allowance for clothes etc...

A screen can be purchased in Spain for around 150 euro.

http://www.pcbox.es - is a computer parts supplier throughout spain, prices are similar to mail-order in the UK. Also Carrefour in spain sells many computer bits and pieces.

Internet:

In majorca I use the cable company ONO, we pay around 40 euro a month for a 4mb line, this is completely seperate from telefonica, and so far service has been good.

If you need anymore advice don't hesitate to drop me a PM, good luck with your new life in spain.

Robin
Thanks to all for their advice and help.I have been put in touch with a private removal firm who deliver to Nerja.I have explained that I would also like my PC removed also.As the only place my stuff goes into is his van ,it seems a safer option.His price for the rest of my stuff was good too.
I will be glad when the move is over,my abode here in the UK looks like there has been an explosion!!! :shock:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.