Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Excellent review Linda!! You certainly packed a lot into your holiday. Thanks!

luci :wave
Hi Bonnielass

It was a really interesting review, thanks!

I'm surprised to hear that Kotor is noisy in the evening. We were only there for a few hours in the morning and it seemed such a sleepy, chilled out place. It obviously comes to life in the evening! I'd have loved to have walked the walls too, but it was too hot to do it when we there too.

Did you pay to go onto Sveti Stefan island? We looked into staying there but it's very expensive and hasn't got very good reviews.

Yours is the second review I've read recently about being stopped by the police over there and being 'bribed'. V. naughty...

U2fan
Hi U2

We spoke to a father and daughter who stayed in a hotel in the Old town and they said it was hard to sleep because of the noise, but as you said it was lovely during the day.

We also looked into staying in Sveti Stefan but as you said it was too expensive, but we felt we had to pay the 7 euros to go on to the Island it was great to see but I felt that the cottages unless you had a sea view were just looking into each other so I was glad we had stayed in the village because our room was very nice and had a great sea view.

Linda
What a great review! It sounds a brilliant place.
I love the story about the police but it must have been frightening at the time.
( I missed your review until now as I was on holiday when you posted it.)
Hi All

We too had an encounter with the police in Montenegro. I think it is quite common. There seems to be a big police presence on the roads and I think they are looking for us tourists as you've only to look at the local cars and many of them are not fit to be on the road but they are left alone. We got our hire car in Cavtat, Croatia but it had Zagreb number plates whereas all the locals had Dubrovnik plates so we stuck out like a sore thumb! :cry:
You have to keep your headlights on even in bright daylight in Montenegro, Bosnia and Croatia which we knew but ours had inadvertently been switched off. We were pulled over by 2 policemen as we were leaving Budva. They wanted my husband out of the car and looked at his driving licence. They wanted €50 but we had only taken €30 as we were only there for the day. They wanted to know where we were going and everything. We were just going to Sv. Stefan and then back to Cavtat. After a while they came down and accepted €20 which went in the back pocket. No ticket was issued! :shock:
Basically I think they just try it on so try to remember to keep your lights on and drive within the speed limits because we saw a few out with the speed guns in Bosnia as well.
When we went to Sv.Stefan the guy who was selling the tickets for €7 each just charged us €5 and didn't give us a ticket so the black market is alive and well in Montenegro. "everybody is happy!"
By the way I've enjoyed reading the 2 reviews from Montenegro and Cavtat. My full review of the hotel and the resort are on the relevant forum pages. :wink: By the way we had a wonderful holiday.
It might be wise then to "hide" your money and just have a small amount in your wallet. ( we were advised to do this in Bali where you seem to get stopped for anything as well)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.