UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Medot that's a cracking report and excellent pictures :wink:

Sounds like you all had a brilliant time and the weather was not all that bad for you really considering !! :)

We have done the walk around Ingleton waterfalls, yes I remember all them steps, I also remember the caves which was not that kind to my back :shock:

Hawes is a nice place :wink:

Well done to you all :wink:

Regards,

TIMUK.
What a superb report medot :lol:

Those pictures were fantastic; except the one from the top.......made my
legs go like jelly :shock: I'm terrified of heights :oops:

So glad you had a good holiday :lol: and wasn't that cottage lovely!

Helenxx
Oh that's beautiful... :)
Wow...that report was so good im going to go up there myself! Its amazing, this lot is just up the road from me and ive not bothered with half of it!

Glad you had a great time Dorothy...you probably know more about the Dales than i do now!

Mick.
Lovely report and some beautiful photo's you should to put them in our photo album :wink:

We often drive through the Dales and funnily enough I said to husband today that we'll have to go to Skipton market this Saturday to visit the market - dog needs a new bed - any excuse :lol:
Medot, what a great report, and the holiday looked great. We went to that area of the Dales a few years ago, when we were a bit more agile than we are now. Do you still have to go through a pub to get to Hardrow Force? I too loved White Scar cavern at Ingleton, but I think that I`d be defeated by the bit where you have to bend practically double to get through, I`m not very fit these days, alas. We stayed in the village of Redmire, got B & B at the village post office, don`t know if they still do it. It`s great over Buttertubs isn`t it, but I`m afraid we drove it, didn`t walk it, we`re too soft!
Wonderful report and photos Medot!

Have had many holidays in the area but more towards the coast - Kirkbymoorside being the most inland. Cottage looked very nice - first thing when booking since we had the dog is if the gardens enclosed! then we get to se which cottages are left!

Hope to return to the area one day!

Alison :D
ok i've sorted out some more pictures. :shock:

the view from our bed!!
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/2336/p7300205edited24fc.jpg

early morning visitors
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/3221/568db75bade75e4c7a8c1729489ee5.jpg

this was an early morning shot taken from the front of the cottage looking over towards malham cove.
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/6135/p8030285edited33xf.jpg

gordale scar. to date i have never been over the scar which is a shame because i know you can scramble over it and walk further along but its now far too scary for me. at gordale scar there were three peregrine falcons flying over us which, for me, was a wonderful sight. apparently in recent years they have nested at malham cove!
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/4785/p8020282edited12km.jpg

a waterfall we came across while walking up whernside.
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7053/p8040309edited45ve.jpg

mixter. isn't it funny how you can take for granted what is on your doorstop. i'm sure if i lived here it just wouldn't be the same.

bluebabe. i'm also petrified of heights. i had a bad night worrying about climbing the steps at malham cove but they weren't that bad what did give me the jelly wobbles was when we got to the top of whernside some 2500 feet up. the cloud came down, the wind was blowing all around us, and we were walking very near to the edge!! thankfully because of the low cloud i couldn't see down!! medot.xx
  • Edited by medot 2005-08-08 13:20:50
I am only an hour or so from Malham and it is a great part of the World. We took some friends from Manchester to Malham a couple of weeks ago and they couldn't believe how amazing the cove was - it was 30 degrees so the climb to the top was dismissed - a paddle in the river was preferable. There were peregrines flying around the cove all afternoon while we were there.
Brilliant report Medot! Thanks for sharing.

luci :wave
What a lovely report, and excellent pictures Medot. It sounds as though you all had a super time. I have no fear of heights but unfortunately I get out of breath if I start climbing and have done for many years so anything like that would be beyond me. I do envy you, however, for having the stamina to tackle it.
Lovely report and reminded me of a similar holiday we had when our kids were young (they're grown up now) based on a cottage in Settle. We went up Goredale Scar, the kids were fearless and I was terrified. It didn't help when I put my hand out to pull myself up the rocks and felt something soft and furry - a dead rabbit! :yikes - nearly fell off with the shock.

We go up to the Dales regularly - it's only an hour and a half drive from Stockport. The waterfall walk is actually better in winter, when the falls aren't obscured by the trees. It's certainly one of my favourite parts of the country.
did the third picture down make anyone else back away from the edge... eeek...

I was around that neck of the woods the other week, with work.. can't remember the name but it was somewhere near Settle...all very green fields and beautiful hillsides..
if you look at the forth picture of thornton force waterfall people were actually getting behind the waterfall, then leaning over to touch the water. they must have been about 20feet up. there was nothing to hold onto and it was a narrow ledge. it got to the stage where it spoilt my enjoyment of the waterfall i felt so ill. one slip and they would have been a goner. what got me is it was all adult males who were doing it. they should have known better!! medot.xx
:D :D :D :D

Hi Dorothy....

I've just popped on to see if you had posted anything since your hol and am over the moon at your experiences :D
It's a shame when the clouds come in when you're doing a walk up a mountain... :cry: but seems you had a good time anyway :)
The cottage looks lovely and you obviously loved the peace ;)
It is quiet a trek to Hawes from Malham but hopefully you took the scenic route along the Wharf to it's head at Cam and through some of the most spectacular countryside. Did you go into Linton? There's a fabulous little twee church in the village....

I'm heading up next weekend with the inlaws as they've never been to that neck of the woods...Staying just outside Hawes again and really looking forward to it...Doubt we'll get much done in the way of walking due to mobility problems but we'll have a fantastic time all the same.

It's been a while...over a decade...since I've done the falls at Ingleton and I wasn't aware they'd changed the footpath :(
Good to hear you're heading back next year.....

Take care

Van :wave
oh van. i'm well chuffed you read my review i was going to pm you but i thought you might be too busy :oops: :oops:

yes i did go to the church at linton. lovely place. it was a wonderful walk to do, shame though that it was too cold to paddle. the water looked quite clear.

yes most of the path at ingleton falls was manmade. a bit of a shame but still the girls enjoyed it and i love the village. medot.xx :kiss
I've been looking forward to your report...with great anticipation following our previous discussions on the area....I'm all excited about this weekend and I'll try and get loads of new pics for my return....

My only hope now is that the weather holds off for us.... Cross everything ;)
Take care and I'll post on my return....

Van :wave
gbell....at last i can relax with you again.

can't wait for your pictures van. even though it did rain some of the time for us it didn't spoil the holiday.....thankfully it wasn't too hot either. that would have spoilt it. theres no way we could have walked in the blazing sun. medot.xx
went t'dales in July
stayed in worton nr.Askrigg
I would recommend;
Askrigg,Muker,Aysgarth Falls,Bainbridge,
some very nice scenery
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.