Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Thanks for the update Kevin. What an active, energetic and adventurous lad you are :smile: It sounds a great plan and I have a feeling that's exactly what you'll do. In any case, after all the TLC (and cash) you've lavished on the Discovery it would be a pity not to put it through its paces again. I'm sure also that you'll feel more at home on your own board. Do keep us up to date on your plans. I'll have a look at the links tomorrow as I've only just seen this and its nearly 1 a.m.
Thanks for that Kevin. I have always been envious of your travels as you know, but surfing of any description ------ thanks a lot, but I'll give it a miss -- too old and a bad spinal problem. Now, should you have a couple of free places en route drop me a PM!!! ;)
Keep chasing those dreams whilst your young and fit enough, I'll keep up to date on your website. All best - Jenny x
Well, I've gone and done it now, yes, I told the wife,
..... and we are going.

The plan is, April 2009, drive to Tunisia and make camp on the Ile de Djerba. We will be in Aghir for a lot of the time, right on the beach, and yes, I will be taking the windsurfer. This is going to be a great holiday, sitting on the beach, wind surfing, cooking our own food and being totally independent and able to travel when and where we want.
This will be our best trip to date.

So, I'll be doing this;
http://www.4x4-travel.co.uk/4%20metre%20surfing.jpg

......and this
http://www.4x4-travel.co.uk/with%20moon.gif

......here
http://www.4x4-travel.co.uk/aghir%20beach.jpg

This will be our best trip to date.
Hi Kevin - good for you - 'he who hesitates' and all that -- you will of course have a wonderful time and I'll look forward to reading all about it as usual. Don't forget to let us know when the report is on your website. We will be leaving Mahdia on the 13th April to return here to Nottingham, so I can't offer to take a few surfing lessons from you. A pity about that! :sulk Jenny x
Congratulations Kevin - you're committed now that your wife has agreed to it. :haha The weather should be warming up nicely by then. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time and only wish I could join you on your board (she lied unconvincingly). However, I'm going to miss Jenny next month, as she's going out after I come back, and if I'm to catch up with her in the spring I too will be back home before you arrive. We'll both just have to content ourselves by reading your wonderful reports but we'll be with you in spirit.
Hi Kevin, i'm a new member of this forum and I'm from the island djerba, I know the place you choose and found it great, not far from there "Aghir" there's wind surfing base but it's for begginer, the périod is also good, wind not very strong but is also not too calm....have you made a program during your stay vsiting some parts of the island? like Houmt souk, Gallala...? of course don't hesitate to contact me for that if you need it. Regards
Hi Goldfeet,

Thanks for your reply.
This will be my 4th visit to Djerba, 2005, 2006, 2008 and then this one. The first 2 we were in our own transport and camped at the Centre des Stages et des Vacanses for 2 nights. In April of this year we flew in to Tunis, caught the train to Gabes, then took the bus to Houmt Souk, we got a taxi across the island to Aghir. We love Houmt Souk as a place to vist during the day, and for lunch, but we found Midoun far more convenient for an evening meal, we actually ate in the Hannibal Restaurant. We have only explored a small amount of the island so far as it has only been a stop-over on our way to meet our friends in Bechni and Douz, however this time our intention is to stay on Djerba for up to 10 days so that we can explore it properly. We try not to mix with too many British tourists while on holiday, it sort of spoils the feeling of being "away from home", that is why we like Aghir, although it has hotels most of the tourists are French, German, etc.
As far as the wind-surfing goes I am only a begginer, so force 4-5 is good for me, I don't want to get blown too far out to sea, ha ha.
Any interesting places to visit would be very much appreciated, as we will have our own transport we should be able to reach all of them. We met a very nice man, and his daughter, this year in Houmt Souk, he makes hats, mats, and many other things from the palm fronds.
Have a look at http://www.4x4-travel.co.uk and maybe we can talk some more.
Kevin.
Hello Kevin, i have alos remarqued that there's not too many british tourists on the island so of course you will not be mixed with them ;) , places like "Guellela village", Fadloun mosque, Marabout in houmt souk , are worth visiting.....I have visited your web site and i found it great, just let me know when you are in houmt souk, so we can meet and speak about it in a small café drinking some green tea... regards
  • Edited by David 2008-11-27 20:28:52
    Personal contact details removed, Kevin may use the PM facility to make contact.
Hi Guys,
Well......
Due to the fantastic recent performance of the pound against the Euro I think I'll have to adjust things a little.
I'm not bothered about the TD v BPS, but the Euro!!!
The boat across the Med is normally around 1250 Euro's, and it still is, this however normally exchanges to around £700 with discounts, from a friend. Well, now, no way, it is £1200, ridiculous or what?
So... change of plan, it looks like a repeat of last year, so now we'll fly to Tunis, train to Gabes, and hit the Ile de Djerba about a day later by louage.
The road trip will have to go on hold until the £££££ recovers, here's hoping.

Cheers all,
Kevin
Oh dear Kevin - what a pain. :roll: Even the £/dinar has dropped quite a bit but against the euro it is pants!! At least you'll still get your fix of Tunisia and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as always, but it wont be the same as doing it with the 4 x 4. At least the flight to Tunis should be comfortable if you go with BA and you'll have a decent luggage allowance. I'm booked with the dreaded Thomas Cook for 26th April but am trying to bring it forward a week to the 19th because of unexpected commitments early in May. This means that I shall still miss Jenny so will have to meet up with her in the UK. I've only visited Djerba once to see friends of friends, away from the tourist area, so I don't know much about that part.
So that's it booked. Flying out on 23rd April, returning 5th May, Gatwick to Tunis £298, BA.
Looking like catching the late train from Tunis to Gabes, arrives around 5am, should be on the Ile de Djerba by early pm the next day. Of course we'll have stopped enroute to eat, evening meal in Tunis, lunch in Houmt Souk, breakfast? Wherever we are at the time.
Yeah, pressure is off, over half the money is already spent.
Ok, got to go pack now, lol.
Kevin.
Hello Kevin
Sorry to read about the ticketprice from the UK.
Booked a 2-month (Febr.+March) return ticket from Cologne (Germany) to Tunis for 125 Euro myself :) , charterflight admittedly, but nevertheless. (This flight worked out cheaper than the second booking, as it was a special offer, 2nd person flies for free, only had to pay airport- and fuelcharges)
As I only live 1 hour from Cologne it's no problem for me.
My next 2-month return booking for May+June came to 160 Euro, both times flying with Tuifly.com.
Well done Kevin, I'm glad you've got it booked now. I'll be back in Sousse from 19th April - 3rd May so if there's any chance of you being anywhere around there, or even in Tunis, at that time let me know and I'll give you my Tunisian mobile number and we can meet up for a drink. I have been to Djerba but it's a bit too far to come for a drink. :lol:
Hey aslemma,
You could pm me your Tunisian mobile no if you like, once in Djerba we are going to hire a car, no telling where we'll end up. It'd be good to meet up if we can.
It'd be good to meet up if we can.

My sentiments exactly Kevin. I've PM'd you with my number.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.