General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
If you have only lost the pictures because you deleted them dont use the card again but download some soft ware that will recover them, well worth a try.
We have our son and granddaughter staying and it is there last day so we intend to go back to a small theme park for a few hours and then on to Exmouth for the beach. At Dawlish it is there air day today and as much as I would like to go but the thought of 80000 people in Dawlish is a bit off putting so binoculars on the beach at Exmouth is a good compromise
and they think I am a really good grandfather for taking them to the beach ;)
It's summer in Cyprus, which means any day we can we will head off down to the beach later in the afternoon so we can cool down.

Nothing helps more than a late afternoon dip in the sea then sitting on a beach chair, reading a good book while the heat goes out of the sun.

Then, it's back home to where the thermometer in the living room is reading 36C :hot

Life's a Beach in July & August in Cyprus.....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3922/14948406255_9b9f2ed1a7_c.jpg
I've been August cleaning. I honestly only set off to clean the spare bedroom's window frame and then everything spiralled out of control :yikes Bed was pulled out, oh my the fluff :oops:, sKirting boards cleaned, then I hit the cupboards......... Spent over 2 hours looking through all the photo albums that I found in there, then back to work.

The bedroom looked and smelt so nice and fresh that I just had to do our bedroom, then came the bathroom with me on my hands and knees with a bottle of bleach and an old toothbrush to clean the grout between the floor tiles ( looks like bloody new tiles have been laid!!!)

This week it's going to be the dreaded kitchen and it's cupboards...... I know I'll be chucking out packets of out of date split peas ( oh yeah, I remember now I was going to make some healthy soup 3 years ago) :rofl

What's been the worst part? Cleaning the vertical blinds from the spare room. The blinds themselves were a doddle, quick soak in the bath, wipe excess water off, hang to finish drying. Then came the task of putting back on the plastic chain..............The air was blue..........%**** I'd get the clip lined up but would it click in?? NO!! My finger was hurting, I was arghhhhhh ing When the last one clicked into place I needed a rest..... :cheers
I know I mentioned my iPhone playing up but at least it USED to work more or less, running in to station today for a shout I dropped it and it got run over, gutted, now got no phone for a while :(

I remember a story of an elderly farmer who stays just up the road from me calling a mate of mine who used to fit blinds back because of a problem with his blinds, he had taken them down to wash and claimed they had shrunk, anyway it transpires he was trying to put the blinds back on the wrong window :rofl

Nice picture by the way Shell, it is summer here too so the waterproofs and brollie are out ;)
I got myself a new camera too when we were back in UK last winter..... Like you Kiltman I've gone from a compact point and shoot to my first DSLR.

At least it can still be used as point/shoot whilst in Auto mode and I find I don't have to mess about with the photos once I've taken them from the card but I'm a bit frustrated by all the settings etc. I bought myself some "cheat cards" online which tells me which settings to use for certain scenarios and they have been a good tenner well spent but it doesn't explain why I should do these things.

So, I've bitten the bullet and bought myself a book from Amazon and am working my way through it slowly. David Busch's Nikon D3100 Guide to Digital SLR Photography. It's over an inch thick so it's going to take some time but it's written in a simplistic way with the complete novice in mind. I got it as used from Amazon for £13 including postage to Cyprus. I understand he's written many books for other cameras too. He was a journalist/photographer in a previous life!

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349015268l/10965503.jpg
I had a Fujifilm bridge camera and one day in Malta I was busy explaining to Mrs Kiltie about the rule of thirds and had spent some time setting up the particular shot so it was framed exactly looked great.

Mrs Kiltie strolls up with her small Canon take the picture in seconds and walks off, the end result her photo looked miles better than mine :que

Not sure what happened with first set of photo's I had taken they just were nowhere to be found when trying to look at them on the camera, they were still on the card when I uploaded them to the compter, so I saved them and formated the card in the camera again and that seems to have cleared the problem.

Today

Does anybody like brisket? I must say I like a slow cooked bit of brisket, not the most popular cut of meat with many people, I have put ours in to the slow cooker this morning and will be nice and tender for our dinner.

Who is having a roast today then?
We had brisket too Graham. I did mine in the oven on 165 for 3 hours. Browned it off, with carrots and onions, then added red wine and stock. Came out lovely.
We had brisket too Graham. I did mine in the oven on 165 for 3 hours. Browned it off, with carrots and onions, then added red wine and stock. Came out lovely.

Sounds very similar only I have put our in the slow cooker :tup
Kiltman, with an EOS you may have to look in the "Folders" on My Computer if you have had the battery out with the card still in camera. I can't recall how to do this In Camera, but I'm sure you can.

If you ever need to recover deleted pics, us Recova or Zero Assumption Recovery, both free, but do it before writing over them.

I've just gone down-market and bought a bridge camera as I was disappointed with the zoom lens I had.
Love brisket! As you say, slow cooked with root veg. and served with a proper mash!

My day was 'sir' and prodigal son watching cookery programmes and passing comments on to me as I was busy washing, cleaning and cooking a full roast dinner! :que
How long would you do brisket for on low in the slow cooker, would it be 8 to 10 hours and would you seal it in a pan first ?

Sounds delicious, especially with root veggies and mash. That's my kind if dinner.

Doe :sun2
I took the rolled brisket out of the fridge and brought it up to room temperature for about an hour, then I sealed it on all sides in a pan first then cooked it in the slow cooker with carrot, onion, mushroom, dash of port (if I had had madeira I would have used that) Bouquet Garni for around 7 hours, it turned out very tender and delicious.
So what is everybody up to on this fine sunny Bank Holiday Monday morning?

School run? work? day off? going out for the day?

My plans are as exciting as washing the car and a bit of gardening, not that I can cut the grass because there is a dirty big corner Summerhouse still lying in the middle of it (see above) maybe the elusive Tam will turn up today :rofl
We went to our local Retail Park, ( whoppy doo :duh ) hubby's idea, if he's stuck for somewhere to go up pops the Retail Park. Mind you, he did treat me to lunch......in Morrisons......

I didn't get to buy anything exciting, 2 bras.........

Then back home I made a lovely tea of lamb chump chops with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, new potatoes, green beans and gravy....was d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s. Followed by a Crunchie.....I always fancy something sweet after a cooked dinner.
Mind you, he did treat me to lunch......in Morrisons......

Last of the big spenders there Glynis :D mind you those over the shoulder boulder holders can be a bit expensive especially if you have big headlights :rofl
Sadly I am spending the entire Bank Holiday weekend working ... until midnight :(
I'm at work now, first night back and it's really dragging.

Didn't do much over the weekend really, I was meant to cut the grass but the weather stopped that.

Got a couple of heavy weekends coming up then a few days in Benidorm so am trying to save myself for those.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.