Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
You could ask for a full refund, bering in mind prices could be more expensive with alternative companys check out some prices first with bmi easyjet and all main tour ops and way up your options but you should get a full refund if the change isnt acceptable
LIZW..... note their use of phrase.. for operational reasons.... this means that they do not have to give compensation ...or...allow u to cancel.. I/We have had this problem already with Mytravel this year.. after taking advice , found there was nothing we could do. You will find Mytravel will use that phrase .. for operational reasons.. quite a lot , otherwise it would cost them money they just do not want to pay. enjoy you holiday.
I thought there was some new legislation effective from 17 Feb 05 that gave travellers some further rights?
Can anyone expand on this?
we had exactly the same with mytravel 2 years ago

we were booked to fly from birmingham and 6 weeks before we went they cancelled the birmingham flights and changed to manchester - as we live in worcester this was a bit far for us - but fair play to them they paid for our car park!!
Warning: I dont know how many of you are aware (or whether there are similar postings on other forums) but Mytravelite has had serious financial problems since at least October 2002. I would be very wary of booking flights too far in advance.
We have had this problem already with Mytravel this year.. after taking advice, found there was nothing we could do.

Sounds to me like you may have been given duff advice. I was on the receiving end of a similar experience myself, took them to court, and obtained a judgement against them. If you want to pursue it, let me know and I'll try and point you in the right direction as to how to go about it.

For the benefit of anybody else who has booked a package holiday and had this happen to them and wishes to push of compensation, you have 6 years from the date of the breach/negligent event to bring proceedings against a Tour Operator, and/or Travel Agent, and/or Credit Card Issuer. (Under the Consumer Credit Act, if you paid for your holiday by credit card, the credit card issuer is jointly liable for any purchases over £100.00)

With regard to Flight only bookings, although Flight only bookings are not covered by the package Travel Regulations, other consumer protection law and general law relating to contract does still apply.

Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, If a supplier of a service breaches the conditions of a contract (for example by failing to provide a customer with a flight which they had booked and paid for) the consumer has a choice either to affirm the contract (i.e. carry on with it and accept any flight changes) and claim compensation from the trader for his failure to carry out what was agreed, or rescind (cancel) the contract. So there you go.
So, back to my original comment of 16 April... have I got a leg to stand on? It really has affected our holiday, as I said, we have in effect lost 2 days. I have heard nothing back from Mytravelllite to my letter of complaint. What do you suggest I do?
:?: Liz W
have I got a leg to stand on?

On the face if it, it sounds like you may have at least one leg, possibly even 2. :wink:Although I would need more information before saying so for definite.

Specifically, I would need to know:

- how many flights you booked

- Whether you paid for the flights at the time you booked, or later

- how much the flights cost

- what airport you were flying from

- what (if anything) it said in the contract about making changes to flights

- whether or not you paid by credit card

If you would prefer not to post this information on the forum, you can send me a personal message and I'll give you some private feedback as to what might be your next best move.

EDIT: For online privacy and protection, your e-mail address has been removed from this post. Please check our Terms & Conditions for further information, and remember that a PM facility is available to exchange any personal information.
Many thanks
David

Noted, & amended on edit. MrsJ
For the benefit of those who have had their flight times changed and aren't happy with the alternatives that they have been offered, here is a link to a very useful budget flight search engine

http://www.skyscanner.net/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.