Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
nessebur
15 Posts
Hi, Nessebur is well worth a visit. Very olde world, cobbled streets, houses hundreds of years old.
The streets are packed with shops, including loads of antiques or shops selling Russian military items.
Excellent views if you fancy having a meal or a drink.
Well worth a days visit. ( it's about 1 1/2 hours drive from GS )

8) The Toonman
Hi Nick69

Nessebur is certainly worth the visit. The old town was once an island but is now connected to the mainland by a causway. It is a world heritage site made up of traditional stone and wood old Bulgarian houses. The place has many stalls filled with craftwork, jewellery, perfume (reasonable fakes apparently) and clothing. Prices on the stalls and in the shops are generally cheaper than in Sunny Beach as are those in the restaurants. There are some excellent restaurants overlooking the sea. There is also a museum by the Roman entrance gate.

New Nessebar, on the mainland side of the causeway has communist era apartment blocks and houses alongside some newer ones. It has a few shops and some very cheap places to eat, particularly at lunchtime. The food is usually good. There is a good supermarket here where you can buy all that you need if you are self catering. Alcohol is particularly cheap in the supermarket. It is found near an oriental restaurant which I think is called the King Kong or the Hong Kong.

To get to Nessebar from Sunny Beach I recommend the walk along the Beach. From the main part of Sunny Beach the walk will take between forty minutes and an hour depending on your speed. From the southern edge of Sunny Beach it will take about 20 minutes to half an hour. Two routes are possible. You will pass the Oasis (?) apartments which are actually built on the beach. You will sea a large water slide just off the beach. Walk up past this and to your left as you go up some steps you will see the road leading to the causeway. Either walk along it or catch the mini train to the old town. This train is not one of those that you can catch within Sunny beach. For a first visit I suggest that you catch this cheap train. As it approaches the causway you will see a black, wooden windmill ahead of you. To your right before the windmill you will see a road which goes on to Ravda and one which climbs up to New Nessebar. You might like to walk back that way. It would take about 20 minutes to reach the point where you first left the beach. Most shops are over the hill in streets to the left.

If you are not keen walkers then catch the local bus. The trip costs about 20p each way. Alternatively you can catch the boat for around 9 levs each way. If I remember correctly the boats may be caught from long wooden jetties in front of the Hotel Bourgas, Hotel Globus and I think possibly the Hotel Victoria Palace.

I hope that my info will prove useful.

Enjoy your holiday

ronl
Wecome to HT ronl and thanks for a very informative post!
Hi again Nick69

Sorry I missed the part where you said that you were going to be staying in Golden sands again. When we stayed there we met a guy on the waterfront selling day trips. He was great. He hired a minibus and driver for our group of five. He took us to Varna, Balchic, Sunny Beach, Nessebur and other places. He stayed with us from 7 each morning until at least 7 in the evening. Three years ago this cost us £70 including a hefty tip! The driver was actually a university professor working through his holidays. He spoke great English.

You can catch a bus to Sunny Beach and Nessebur from Varna but I am not sure if you can catch one from Golden Sands. The trip takes about
1 1/2 hours and only costs about £3.00/return trip. If you drive do not attempt to drive into Nessebur old town. Locals do but the streets get crowded with stalls and tourists. Instead, as you cross the causeway you will see the Roman gateway ahead. Turn immediately right alongside the harbour and you will find a car park to the right. Otherwise turn left by the gate and try to park beneath the cliffs.

Happy holidays

ronl
thanks ronl

was that £70 for each day or £70 for all the trips you made. how many days out did you get for your money?
Hi Nick

We went on the Nessebur trip last year cost us 25lev each,they pick you up from your hotel at about 9:30 but it sometimes takes half an hour to pick others up.We actually got on our way about 10:00,you stop for toilet and refreshments after an hour and arrive in Nessebur about 12:30.You get a guided tour around the churches(if its something your interested in)or you can do your own thing if you want,then meet at a restaurant were a drink is included in the price,then you can do some shopping for the rest of the afternoon.You set off back about 4:30 and stop again if you want to, arriving back in Golden Sands around 6:15.I'd already been the year before when staying in Sunny Beach but my partner who hadn't been before said it was worth the Journey.
Hi Nick69

We were charged a total of£70 for three days. The guy was willing to work any hours. His day ended when we asked to go back to the hotel.

Sadly I do not have a contact number for him. I can tell you though that the man who put us in touch with him was selling day trips from the right hand end of the seafront as you face the sea. He had an advertising board just inwards from the end of the front. He seemed an unlikely one for such a job as he was very well spoken and well dressed. He was there every day.

Happy holiday

ronl
Thanks for the welcome Fiona. I am very impressed with the site!

ronl
ronl

thankyou very much
:)
You are very welcome Nick

ronl
Just back from 2 weeks at Hotel Gardia near Golden Sands. Did the day trip to Nessebar. Parents interested in coming with next year and we did get a quick look at the St Stefan in Old Nessebar. Anyone been and have any info?

Pammy
its well worth a visit
some of the settings of the restaurants in Nessebar are reminiscent of Italy but at a fraction of the price.
Its lovely here, full of old churches, old wooden style houses and plenty of shops, bars and restaurants. I only wished I'd have followed my instincts and booked to stay here. However, whilst the old town is lovely the new town doesnt have quite the same appeal.
Sozopol is also worth a visit a little further south.
thanks for taking the time to post during your holiday Poxicator
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.