Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Not To Miss !!
24 Posts
Thanks spike,
I hadn't seen it advertised, but will be watching now

xx lassi
Yes, thanks Spike. We've got a few days in Mumbai next month on our way to Goa so will watch with interest. I know people say the "Slumtours" are really good but it feels a bit voyeuristic to me. If I lived in a Dharavi, I think I know how I would feel about tourists walking about with cameras and stuff.
Watched the first episode last night.Best thing I have seen on telly for ages.Riveting and humbling.

Papa
Don't forget the 2nd episode is on at the earlier time of 8pm tonight
Enjoyed the programme and saw a few "surprising" things!
Also surprised at the praying in the streets, there must be a high population of Muslims living side by side with Hindus etc

On a downside, will the publicity simply encourage the authorities to demolish it all, without any thought for the people displaced.
Yes it was good viewing - looking forward to tonight's instalment.

It was interesting to see Kevin McCloud try the bread that was produced in such unhygienic conditions and find it delicious. Perhaps we should send somebody from Warburtons there to learn a thing or two. :rofl

That sort of sums up a lot of Goan food - often produced in conditions that would give our environment health guys a fit - but it tastes wonderful!
:( MISSED IT! Anyone know if I can catch up on iPlayer? I've had a look but can't see it..but I'm hopeless with this!
MISSED IT! Anyone know if I can catch up on iPlayer? I've had a look but can't see it..but I'm hopeless with this!

Yes its on 4 on Demand CLICKY

Mids
Another interesting programme coming up on Monday 18th January on channel 4 is Gordan Ramsay in India. He starts off trying to serve food to a packed express train across the North of India.
Not everyones favourite tv chef, but should be fun to see the reaction of the diners.
We finally got to watch Slumdog Millionaire last night. I wouldn't agree with the claim that it's the "feel good film of the year" by any means, but it was compulsive viewing and an excellent film.
I haven't seen any disfigured or maimed beggars in Goa, but when we arrived in Trivandrum, Kerala they were very much in evidence around the airport.They were, however, all adults who may well have been sentanced to a lifetime of begging by their parents as was apparently the case not that long ago. Surely this practice doesn't exist any more does it ?
DaveWales, used to see a lot even on Calangute high street. Often saw maimed men "crawling" around on wooden boards on wheels and young girls with babies begging for food. The beggars (as far as I know) were dropped off by the bus load and sent on the beach to beg, the boss man took a cut of what they earned (probably a BIG cut) :cry Fizz
Watched the second part last night.A truly amazing piece of film making.The passison he brought to the idea of community was heart warming.You just know the developers will tear the lot down.

I cannot remember being so transfixed by a television programme.

Papa
Papa, I agree, both programmes were excellent. I like Kevin Mcloud's way of presenting things, he did seem very taken with the close knit community life style and aghast at how putting the Dharivar inhabitants into high rises would have a damaging effect on the same. (Like it did here years ago).

Certainly a huge departure from Grand Designs :) but extremely interesting and thought provoking :tup

Fizz
It was brilliant - I could have easily watched for hours!

I thought that it was good to see him stay with a family and that although he was shocked at times, that it didn't seem disrespectful to the people whose lives/homes that he was looking at. Hopefully lessons will learnt from England and it's highrise buildings.
Yes the two programmes were compulsive viewing, as was last nights with the woman looking for deserving cases to give a large donation to. Where do you start? But she has good intentions and wasn't put off by her typically cynical relatives. Yes her help was a drop in the ocean of need, but if it encourages others to do similarly, it is all for the best.

Perhaps these millionaire celebs that whisk one or two children away for adoption, would do better to improve the lives of many rather than give one child (the prettiest), a ridiculously wealthy, isolated existence, away from it's own culture and relatives.

I know that I could not survive a week in one of these slums, but that is because I don't belong or have any roots there, and have led a somewhat cosseted lifestyle in the west and have different (not better) values. I am frightened of insects, rats and lack of hygiene, because I have been brought up to fear these things.I have too many aches and pains to get used to sleeping on the floor. I would crave privacy, which the people there do not seem to want or need.
But no-one could argue that these people do not have a great community spirit. They feel 'safe' and secure in their familiar environment. Their busy lives are never lonely. Loneliness and depression is a killer in the UK.

As Kevin Mcloud said, you would never hear of a case where a body was found weeks/months after dying, alone, with no-one to even notice. Yet this happens too often in our so called civilised society, where milkmen, paperboys etc, are relied upon to notice the absence of life.

Yes these programmes do make you wonder who is better off really. Are material possessions, bodily comforts, cars, privacy better for body and spirit?

Rant over, I'll get me coat.
well said, moles
these programmes were compulsive viewing and would put into perspective all our moaning etc about the recent weather conditions here.They were truly humbling.
well done channel 4, cant wait till thur for their programme on the "slumdog children"
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.