Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Famagusta lookout point is drivable and you can park up and look across etc.

Maps if you need one are all over the place, probably get one in the back of your welcome pack.

Don't miss going on a jeep safari up the Troodos mountains, see the sights, get a meze lunch, sample the wines....

Don't miss the sunblock and water !

Don't miss a Traditional Cypriot night with dancing and music, food and wine.

Hire a car and visit places like Kavo Greco as the scenery is stunning, think of a beautiful blue sea and and the rocks leading to them as a painting, well thats somewhere near.

The jet boat thing in Paphos harbour is different and a bit thrill seek'y

Eat the local food as some of the dishes are better than you could possibly imagine. Also try some of the other types of food like Italian, Indian, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese if thats your bag, but choose wisely, look for authentic (like Nautilus in Pernera for real Italian food).

thats a few things to get you going...

Steve
Thanks for all that Steve. I have made some notes. :D

Anyone else want to share some hidden gems?

thanks!
The jet boat thing in Paphos harbour is different and a bit thrill seek'y

You mean the Tornado Jet? Ive just come back from 2 weeks at the cypria bay and it span around right next to our hotel every time for some reason :roll:

Its a powerful thing with 2 RR's :lol:

Dont forget a day at Waterworld Waterpark :wink:
yeah just done the waterpark in A napa... well worth the money if you get in soon and don't forget the suncream
ayia nappa water park
and you should go on a cruise up and down the coast with a swim at the blue laggoon at the end
cheers for those!!

Anyone else, especially what not to miss when out and about in the car.

Thanks! :wave
Go past Waterworld and you come to Ayia Thekla... carry on and head for Potomas Liopetriou - a quaint fishing village. If you can, have a meal in the taverna at the end of the road.

Also interesting to drive by the Green Line.

A long day out, but do-able, is Troodos and its villages.

There's some great pics of all over Cyprus here:
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/cypruspics/829106

Marion
I cant remember what its called but there is a church on top of a hill in Protaras. You can see it pretty much wherever you are in town. I'm not a religous person but my girlfriend and I took a walk up there (It is quite a few steps up though). The views are amazing and there is a real atmosphere up there. People Tie notes to the trees up there with messages to loved ones (past and present) and get well notes etc. Some of them are real tear jerkers. Its only a little church but the decor is amazing. As i said, im not religious, but im really glad i went up there, and i most likely will go up there again in october if i can drag my other half (she is scared of hights - lol). Take a look, if only for the views. :wink:
This church is lovely. Walk up before sunset and you will get some amazing pictures.
The church sounds lovely! Will definately do that. Things like that are what we like to see and do.

Thanks
Jaime C :wave
Do not forget the oxygen cylinder,Well worth the effort though :D
The church is called Profitis Elias and I agree it's worth it.

Another good viewpoint is from the roof of the Occupied Famagusta Cultural Centre at Dherynia/Deryneia. You can climb up their stairs to the roof even if the Centre is closed. See http://www.deryneia.com/english/road_block.shtm

Marion
Thanks Marion! some great ideas here.

:D
You're welcome. Also see this thread - I'd recommend a tour to the north rather than driving yourself.

Marion
I'd recommend a tour to the north rather than driving yourself

I would certainly second that one - long story :oops: :oops: :oops:
The church sounds lovely! Will definately do that. Things like that are what we like to see and do.

Thanks
Jaime C

Ah well, In that case, while you're out and about, make sure you stop in Paralimni. There are some interesting things to look at and photo opportunities, including a very odd wall standing on its own with a doorway in the middle. Its dated 18something-something. :D I think it might have been for open air plays possibly.

I got pictures but never looked into the actual history of it. (im a pretty half-baked sight seer aren't i :oops: )
We went on a boat and BBQ trip around the coast near protaras, pernera and famagusta, (boards up all over the area but you get a discount if you book it from the Nautilus Bar in Pernera !) two boats follow each other about, lots of laughs, swimming, free scuba trial, reduced rates on other water activies.. was a great day out !

Steve
GReat ideas, thanks everyone! Will take a note of these with us
:wave
You can drive to the north and visit Famagusta town which is lovely. Lots of places to eat and have a cool drink, and the old walled part of town is a must.
Once you cross the border (I think you still have to pay for extra insurance at the border) all the signs for towns are in Turkish (as is everything else) so you might be better getting a map here for the north if you're thinking of going.
You should be able to use Euro's and Sterling if you don't have Turkish Lira.
We crossed over at Pergamos and crossed back at Nicosia.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.