Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
I've been there on a day trip from Krakow & it was very pleasant with some quite spectacular limestone scenery ( despite it raining). It was well worth visiting. My daugheer has been round the Pieskowa Skała Castle which I think is worth going to.
Some useful info at http://www.mos.gov.pl/kzpn/en/ojco_gb.htm .
I must admit I know the Tatras better.
:wave Hi Hullsaddler, Thanks for the info.
Did you visit the Park by Tour Bus?

Yours Aye,
Jopa.
No we have friends who live in Krakow so we stay with them when in Poland & went there by car.
:wave I am really looking forward to my time in Poland next month.
We will be in Krakow for a week, so should have a whole day to explore the Ojcow Park.
Lucky you, Hullsaddler...having friends in Krakow!
Welcome to the Forum by the way!
Where else have you travelled? Any other recommendations?
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
Have you been to Krakow before ? Will post some recommendations based on whether you've been before or not.
Haven't been to any countries in Eastern Europe before.
Grateful for any info.
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
Firstly Jopa sorry about the delay in replying - our daughter who is travelling in South America has been in hospital in La Paz having broken 5 ribs (she came off a bike on a trip & hit a concrete table). Fortunately she is okay & will be able to continue but we have been a bit preoccupied!!!!!

Anyway I'm sure you can find this from guide books but here goes....
Obviously the main square is fantastic - do make sure that you are there for the trumpet being played on the hour (every hour & this is especially atmospheric late at night).
Just sit at one of the many cafes around the square & soak up the ambience of the place.
There are lots of good bars in the surrounding area - I'd recommend Wodka if you come across it- no prizes for guessing the main product!
If you've not tried Polish Vodka my favourite is Zubrowka (Bison grass).It's very popular to drink it mixed with apple juice ( my daughter & friends like it like this ,but I prefer it neat!)
The Jewish quarter is well worth a visit. Good bars & restuarants.It's a very lively area to walk round & has changed a lot since we first went there 12 years ago.
If you like museums http://www.krakow-info.com/museums.htm etc then go to Wawel - the royal castle- go there anyway just to walk round outside & along the Vistula river. If you go inside it does take quite a long time to go round ...it's quite impressive .! Our favourite museum was the University Museum at 15 Jagiellonska street..It's not far from the main square. It's where Copernicus studied. It's quite small scale and there are English guided tours around it that you can book on. Really recommend if you like that sort of thing.
If you like classical music they do have some good concerts & you might come across Nigel Kennedy playing in a bar as he lives in Krakow.
We liked the Salt Mines at Wieliczka
http://www.krakow-info.com/wielicz.htm. It takes a long time to go round but is fascinating- again there are English tours.
Have never done Auschwitz.
We also enjoyed the rafting trip trip down a through the Dunajec River Gorge in the Pieniny Mountains . Dont know what this site is like but has trips.
http://www.krakow-tours.pl/tour.php?tour_id=32.

WE love the tatra mountains - there are trips from Krakow - they tend to go to Zakopane - it's a good couple of hours & the road can get very busy. Dont be put off by the approach as you go into Zakopane ( too many billboards!) but the centre is nice- a good market ,but ideally if you can get into the mountains as well ( fantastic flowers). We always stay in a small village Jurgow about 15 miles away - not touristy like Zakopane.
If you go try & choose a fine day for the views!

Just enjoy wandering around Krakow . Hope the place doesnt get spoilt by stag/hen parties of drunken brits. At the moment it's very laid back & relaxed.

If you have a specific question I can ask my Polish friends though we are going to stay in mountains in Southern Spain for a week this Wednesday so it would have to wait till we get back.

Anyway hope this is some help

Dave Hanson (Hull Saddler)
Hi Dave, So sorry to hear of your Daughter's accident.You must have been worried sick. I hope she is well on the mend now and continuing her journeys in S. America.
Thank you so much for all your info. Not long now until we go to Krakow...can't wait! I will be sure to try the Wodka with Apple Juice...just the one glass :rofl
Will try to see all of the sights mentioned. Should have plenty time within the week I think to see all.
Would you advise we hire a car to go round Odjcow Park?
How safe are the Rafts...might be out of this "Old Timer's" league!
Have a lovely time in S. Spain,
Look forward to hearing from you on your return.
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
Rafts are very safe - it's not white water!
Afraid I'm not sure about the car hire,think it may be quite expensive?

Have a good time

dave

Ps Thanks for best wishes about our daughter- she is well on the mend!
:thanks Hi Dave, Many thanks for your reply.
I will be sure to enquire about the rafts.
It looks a good day-out away from the City.
I will enquire about transport in Ojcow Park at
Tourist Information in Square, Krakow.
Other than that, we are all quite good walkers,
so could just take "Shanks's Pony."
Hope you have a wonderful time in the Spanish Mountains.
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
:wave Thanks for that info Dave.
Will let you know how I get on in Krakow on 23rd.
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
Just back from a great week in Krakow. We got flights for £5.49+tax and an excellent fully equiped appartment with private garden not too far from Centre.
The People were really nice, first young man we asked directions from, phoned the appartment owner and then bundled us into his car and took us there!
We just wandered the Centre on first day, what a beautiful City. Took a boat trip on Vistula River (commentary would have improved trip)
Visited Auchwitz/Berkenau...God forbid that anything like that should ever happen again.
The Salt Mines at Wielitchka were very interesting.
Zakopane was simply beautiful. Loved the Funicular Train ride up the mountain. What scenery! Beautiful wooden Church and Houses.
Took Public Transport buses and trams all over, enjoyed getting lost and got Taxi home when necessary.
Eating out was a pure pleasure, we dined at a different restaurant every night...Jewish, Polish, Russian, Thai etc., all inexpensive compared to UK.
Even managed to see the Pope on his visit as the Park where he gave Mass was only a stone's throw from where our appartment was. I have never seen so many people gathered in one spot! Mind you, they would not sell alcohol in and around Krakow during Pope Benedict's visit...so my Wodka and Apple Juice were put "On Hold!"
That was my first trip to Poland and I will not be too long in planning my second one...but Shhhhhhhhhh...Keep it Quiet or the Country will be flooded with Tourists!!! :wink:
I don't think Krakow will kept secret for much longer. Several people I know have been on short breaks this year, and loved it! I quite fancy going there myself!
Glad it lived up to your expectations Jopa, and that you had a good time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.