Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
tillyfloss77

Welcome to HT, i have moved your post to the complaints forum, to enable our members to give as much advice pleas give further information

1] who did you book with
2]was it a package [from a brocher] or a dynamic package
3] did you fill in a complaint form with the rep and did she give you a copy and repy
4]how did you pay

wizard
What are our rights and are in we a strong position to obtain our money back ?

As Wizard says, we are going to need a bit more information if we are to offer you help and advice. For example, was this a complete, traditional package with a TO? In which case which TO and how/with whom did you book it? Or was it a 'dynamic' package put together by an agent but comprising separate flight and hotel bookings etc? This will make a difference to your rights and whether you would have had the right to cancel the whole holiday if you'd been informed about the hotel overbooking in advance or just been entitled to a refund for the hotel booking but not the flights.

SM
Perhaps it would also be useful to know the names of the hotels also
Hello

Thank you for your replies.

Our holiday was booked with JET2 holidays.com. (not Jet2.com)
Booked as a complete package
Paid in full and confirmed
Staying at the Ushuaia Hotel playa de enbossa.
No notice at all given we were only told at the reception once the hotel phoned our jet 2 rep - even the rep was un aware until the hotel phoned them
Yes I completed a complaints form on the island with the rep and she also confirmed at the bottom of said form that the problem was not resolved.
We have raised the complaint within the 28 day period as in the TC of tour operator. Which I have enclosed a copy of the form we completed in Ibiza.

thanks
excelent so far you have done the right thing, when are the 28 days up?
I raised the complaint via email on 31 May 2012, they confirmed receipt by letter receipt of the email on 31st May. Their letter was dated 6th June so I am assuming it is 28 days from 31 May.

There isn't anything stating working days or not.

Also the letter confirmed a full response within 28 days.
Still time then for their reply. You can't do much until then. ALso you can really do if they wont negotiate with you would be to raise a small claims court action so it depends how much you want to pursue matters. Wait for the reply then decide on your next steps.
i think you have very strong grounds to get some compensation for your troubles.
so far you seem to have done everything right.
their next response to you will probably be a holding sort of reply possibly offering you some vouchers. it is unusual for them just to hold their hands up and pay out straight away. you need perseverance to get your entitlement.
in my opinion you should be able to get, as a minimum, the difference in cost between the 2 hotels, as they are obliged to provide you with accommodation of a similar standard if they screw up.
ypu should also be able to get your phone bill paid, you will need an itemised bill.
you dont say which activities you cancelled, but if you have not suffered a financial loss then you are unlikely to be compensated.
were you offered, or did you ask about flying straight home again when your hotel was not available. if you asked and were declined for a flight straight back to uk this would strengthen your argument.
that said, i would be looking for a sum of compensation for lack of enjoyment on top of any actual costs that i could reasonably claim. there is a huge difference between a 5* deluxe hotel and the services offered and a 3* bucket and spade hotel!
use the time between now and getting a reply, just in case they phone you -although that is unlikely - to work out exactly how much you feel you should be compensated.
you should also start getting any info together for pursuing this through the small claims court. this is a relatively inexpensive way to pursue your claim and is far better than going through ABTA and you can do it on-line.
Thank you for your replies!

No I don't have any intention to accept vouchers, and yes I would hope for compensation.

The fact the TO weren't even aware of the overbooking until the hotel phoned them leaving us at reception shows something went wrong between them and their suppliers/agent or the hotel. I don't consider this the customers problem.

We weren't offered a flight back to the UK and to be honest we would have taken it following the reps confirmation there is no other hotel such on the island. it was a treat.

Other than phone bills and having to buy a few bits we didn't loose more cash.

If anybody has any further advice it is very much appreciated and I will keep in touch as to how this progresses.

It would be nice if its pretty much a clean cut case but well who knows.

thanks
Please come back and update us once they've been in touch and we can take it from there :tup

Good luck.
This sounds like the hotel sold at least one room from someone's allocation to someone else. Probably a direct booker. This is not unusual. Hotels, like airlines, routinely overbook, relying on no shows. Occasionaly this backfires. This looks like what's happened in your case.
It usually comes to light before you leave hence the sometimes late change of hotels, due to overbooking. Most people think the tour operators is responsible, which is not usually the case.

I would wait to see what Jet2 come back to you with, you may be pleasantly surprised :yikes and then post back. I'm sure you'll get some good advice as to how to progress your claim, should it be necessary.
If they reply enclosing a cheque offering a level of compensation do not bank it as this may be seen as acceptance, come back to this forum first.

Dave
Hello all

Thanks for the replies, well what a suprise Jet 2 replied today just about around the 28 days.

"We sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to your recent communication, we are still actively investigating your complaint and will respond as soon as we are able to provide you with a full resolution concerning the points you have raised.

We thank you for your patience in the meantime."

I have replied advising that yet again it looks like they have failed to honour what they say.

I have advised that an open letter with no date or deadline is un acceptable. I have asked for a further date or days for them to reply in full.

This feels tactical, I hope I am wrong but as I am sure you appreciate we were let down without notice on holiday and now they cannot comply with their 28 day 'full' response?

My confidence is beginning to drop quite quickly.

Something went wrong between them and their supplier, no notice was given to their rep either. She sent us merrily on our way when we landed to the confirmed booking.

Any further advice would be much appreicated, can they just keep as i feel 'fobbing us off'

I think that after the first initial 28 days to respond it drops down to 14 days thereafter. Many years ago I had a complaint with First Choice and this is what happened then.
They have 28 days to send a detailed reply, or a reply containing a explanation for any delay.
When an investigation involves an outside supplier it can take quite a while to get back the information that is necessary, and the tour operator can only move as fast as their supplier is moving.
I haven't dealt with complaints for a few years now, but when I did it was 28 days from correspondence to correspondence, even after the initial letter. This was the same when I had complaint with Thomsons around that time. That took months to sort because of the time taken inbetween correspondence.
In Scotland, a Court would expect the pursuer to have allowed the Defender a period of 3 months to investigate matters prior to raising a court action.
Hello All

Jet 2 have replied with an insulting offer of £80 compensation.

They state that their staff confirmed the booking with the property manager in advance & they were definately not told of the over booking prior to our departure

They go onto say they understand that an offer was made to move to another hotel 'on arrival' not true!! We weren't told until after we tried to book into our original hotel.

They go onto the say the hotel were were offered was a short walk down the beach - not true it was 10 mins in a taxi.

Also that the hotel is a 'all inc upgrade' - our booking is bed and breakfast but its still considerably more expensive than staying at the all inclusive hotel which i may add we refused upon arrival at this hotel.

They say we asked to be moved to the next hotel (a much lower grade), we were told by the rep that her hands were tied and no hotel on the island would match our booking. I said to look at the location of our original property...at no point were we offered a flight home. They also add were were happy with this hotel - Not true and as the rep confirms on form problem not resolved.

They feel the offer from the original hotel to the all inc one more than satisfactory funny not when you compare the costings it isn't. The hotels aren't even a patch on each other as confirmed by their rep.

Obviously we will be refusing the insult of £80 and also replying note by note about the facts.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.
I'd reply Tillyfloss, keeping it short and to the point. State that you are refusing their offer of £80 as it does not reflect the distress, inconvenience and upset that occurred to you during your holiday. Then respond to each of their points separately (bullet fashion).

Send your reply by recorded delivery. Let us know when they reply to you. Good luck :tup
Hello Glynis

Many thanks for the reply, I am delighted to see your response mirrors what i have been doing this afternoon.

I have prepped a letter simply but blunt and then gone on to list each of the points by bullets and sub sections.

The help already off this board has been fab!!!

thank you all :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.