Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
I have not been to Palma airport in about 17 years. Going to Alcudia this year in July. However I think there has been a new airport built in Palma in the last number of years and I think it is huge. Also your transfer time to the resort will depend on a lot of things. If you are part of a package deal and transfers are being provided by your tour operator, it will depend on whether you have drop offs at other hotels, what time of day you will be travelling. If you are renting a car and going striaght to your accomodation are you likely to get lost, are you getting a taxi direct to your accomodation. If traffic is light and you are going direct to your hotel I think you could do it in an hour but then if there are other considerations I think it will take 1.5 hours.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
just make sure your party stay together it is huge. We nearly missed r flight home last may due to being seperated and they wont use the tannoy systems to help you find each other.
arrival

if you are lucky on arrival you will be taken by bus to the passport control by the baggage reclaim. this can be a bit fraught if a)more than one plane arrives and if b) the passport fellow decides its time for a break!!! queued there for nearly 1/2 hour once and it was hot. hot hot
otherwise you may come into the terminal (usually c or d) and face a 20 min plod to baggage. but there are travellators all the way(bear this in mind because its the same on return.) car hire,taxi and coaches are only mins away from the baggage reclaim
Departure
as for returning. desks usually open 2 hrs before departure. after checking in you go up to the next floor where the bars and duty free are.now beware dont hang about here till the last second because the time to get to the departure gate can be very long. the security control is the first thing you get to (behind duty free shop) i have queued for over 1/2 hour just to get that far.!!!then a fair distance via travelators to the passport control. now if 2 men are on and everyone is nice and strung out no prob. but again queues do form and 15 mins is not uncommon. after that your about 1/2 way there. there are more shops /bars and a smaller duty free shop in this area. which is about 5 mins from your gate.
Agree with everything Martin says.

There is a Duty Free on the other side of the Passport and Security Control, so on your way home, make sure you get any last-minute shopping on the other side, otherwise you'll have to pass it all through the scanners.

It is a big airport, but it handles a lot of travellers, and you just need to be prepared, and allow yourself plenty of time.

BTW - although cigs / Tobacco / Wine and Spirits are generally more expensive at Airport Duty Free, don't forget that you've already had your luggage weighed, so you will not have to pay any excess weight charge on it.

There's a new road to Alcudia, so transfer times are not so bad as they once were.

Cheers

Adam
hi goodfellow so after ive past all the sucurity checks an goinig to my gate can i buy fags there an i wont be questioned as im frightenend incase i get pulled by customs but ive to watch when i arrive into newcastle
if your going on a coach from the airport, alcudia is almost always the last drop off, and when i went we were the last to be dropped off, as advised and we were on the coach 2.5 hours, if you have your own transfer it will be alot quicker, hope this helps xx
Sharon I've just returned from Palma to Newcastle.

After you pass through passport control there is a small shop in the centre that sells sigs but they are dearer by €3 ie €31 per carton (well L&B were) You have to show your boarding card when you buy them. I only bought one box as it was a gift as I didn't want to mix my ciggie's up in my case. (I stuck to one brand in my hold luggage)

On arrival at Newcastle the customs were out enforce with their arms folded in a group. :shock: One of our cases was delayed and as we walked through the green gate every section of the tables were full of peoples cases. As we came through I saw one of the officers looking at our cases but we didn't get stopped. (I had medium size hard backed case)

But - there were single blokes unloading cases the size of a family's. A bit of a give away if you ask me when most blokes clothes and stuff would fit into a hold-all. A bloke behind us with a similar huge case was pulled in.
Can anyone tell me when we land at Palma when we will get out little girls puschair back - we have travelled to both Malaga and Malta before.
In Malaga we got it through with the cases, but in Malta they were waiting with it as we got off the plane!
I'm a bit concerned having read this thread about having to carry her so far from the plane to the luggage collection. She does walk but not far and not fast and is one hell of a weight to carry!!! can anyone who has experience of travelling into Palma with a puschair let me know?
Can anyone tell me when we land at Palma when we will get out little girls puschair back - we have travelled to both Malaga and Malta before.
In Malaga we got it through with the cases, but in Malta they were waiting with it as we got off the plane!
I'm a bit concerned having read the thread about the airport on the airlines forum about having to carry her so far from the plane to the luggage collection. She does walk but not far and not fast and is one hell of a weight to carry!!! Can anyone who has experience of travelling into Palma with a puschair let me know?
im palma last year and we got it with the luggage
hi msc1977

weve been to palma on many occasions including twice last year !

while waiting for luggage we have seen buggies on the carousels but also seen them being collected at the plane door aswell !

sorry that i can't be any help to you but i wish you a happy holiday ! :P
when are you going ? we fly out again to palma on the 24th june for 2 weeks ! only 10 weeks to go :hyper

lou x
Hi Lou
My Mum, daughter and I (hubby has to work!!) fly out on 27th June, only for the one week though!

We're counting down as well...hope you have a fab time, thanks for your reply.

msc
hi , if you just go to the plane door with the baby in the pram , the staff will just put it in the hold . normally if you go with easy jet ,family with children get on first anyway . but only the little type pushchairs , otherwise its got to go with luggage etc.

http://www.bigjimfin.com
Whether you can get your buggy at the plane door or wait till it gets to the carousel will depend ENTIRELY on whether your plane gets a slot at a walkway from plane into terminal building or if you go down steps and onto a bus into the terminal! We always pray for the latter!

If it's the former I don't think there's a way for them to get it to you and the walk thru' terminal is a bloody long one :cry: We did it with our then 4 year old and 7 month old twins and I thought I'd reach the sea before we reached baggage reclaim - I could have kissed the buggy when I saw it on the carousel altho' in fairness the Baby Bjorn carriers we used were a God-send.

If it's the latter you'll see the bus at the side of the aircraft as you taxi into your slot. Before you walk down the steps ask for your buggy back - we got ours no problem the following year and just hopped (ha ha) onto the bus and away we went for the short ride to the terminal and immigration before reaching bagge reclaim and just put it up once we got into the terminal.

There's no way of knowing what you'll get so best be prepared for NOT having it when you get off the plane and if you do then it's a bonus.

Good luck!
do i have to inform my travel company that i will be taking a pushchair? xx[/i]
When you land you will get the buggy off the luggage carousel and I admit this can be a bit of a treck with a little one, but as it usually takes at least 20/30 mins before the luggae appears you don't exactly have to rush plus they have moving walkways alot of the way which can keep them entertained.

Coming back you can take the buggy to the gate which again can be a good 20 min walk depending on which gate you have to depart from (most charter flights do go fom the furtehst gates).

Don't worry don't forget you are on holiday so don't worry about this just enjoy yourself.

Cheers

Dave.
The last couple of times that we flew into Palma we were lucky enough to grab one of the luggage trolleys with the inbuilt child seat (bit like a shopping trolley kind of thing).
Jodie - you don't have to inform your airline that you're taking a buggy - I think most take it as read if you have kids under 4.

When you check in explain you have a buggy and that you want to take it to aircraft and they'll usually give you a hold sticker to put on it. Then as you get ready to board you can hand it over - there's normally a pile of buggies at bottom of aircraft steps and they get put ononce everyone is boarded.
tisonlmoi thanks for the reply great info thank you xx :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.