Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
The cathedral is the main attraction there!
Just a hint of advice, be so careful in centre of Palma, there is alot of ladies who wander the roads handing out flowers(roses etc) or a 'lucky' bracelet as a gift and then expect you to pay! My gran was stopped herself while on an excursion to Palma and while she was listening to what this lady was saying, another lady went through her bag( very very quickly and unnoticed) and stole her purse, money etc.
They are so good at it, so hang tight to your personal belongings!
Dont let it put you off exloring the city, just keep a watchful eye out for these ladies!! have a lovely cruise! :o
Thank you for the warning - I will leave most things on the ship and just take a little money and my camera - and will keep a close eye on those. Will prob just have time for the cathederal and a supermarket to get some supplies as I will be keen to return to the ship!

Alison 8)
If you only have a few hours then would suggest either the cathedral or take a horse and cart ride round the port. The shops in Jaime III and the Ramblas are also quite good, but like previous poster said beware of ladies with flowers - best just to firmly say no thank you and keep walking! Palma is a lovely city though with some good tapas bars around the marine.
i'd skip the cathedral and do the royal palace instead far more interesting!
any info on sol mirlos tordos in palma thanks :?:
giah

The Sol Tordos and Sol Mirlos are two sister hotels in Palma Nova. There are no reviews on HT, but there are some at holidays uncovered.

http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk

There has also bee a string on these hotels recently on here.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6551

I hope this helps a little.

Sarah
Hello again, can anybody possibly tell us if the station in Palma that the train from soller arrives at is within walking distance of palma cathedral? thanks Shaz and Col
i walked it once it's a fair distance though about 1/2 hour i remember,but i was lost!
Thanks for that Martin, at least we know its possible, the ladies in our group will be taking the train from soller to palma and would like to visit the cathedral as well, though i dare say the shops on route may stop them reaching the cathedral anyway.
It is a good half hours walk from the Train Sation to the Cathedral and you pass one hell of a lot of shops on the way.
Hi. Do you really need to do the Palma Cathedral and train ride on the same day? I wouldn't. I spent a whole day doing the train to Soller, lunch in Soller square then the tram to the sea-side and back. I highly reccommend the tram. Worth the 2 Euros return trip. As i recall (i went in March this year) the return train leaves quiet late for Palma.
There are two train stations in Palma next to each other. You want the one on the left hand side.
I went back to Majorca in September with a few friends and rented a car. We went from the NW of the island through the mountains to Soller then into Palma.
Going back again in December!!!

May i reccommend the sight seeing buses in Palma. They are really worth the money. You pay once and can get off and on the whole day. There is a bus stop outside the train station. Just a thought.

I hope you tell us how your trip went? Have a lovely time.
lunch in Soller square
done that!excellent good choice of tapas bars and a really nice setting!
Yes Martin. Very enjoyable. Where else can you have lunch with a tram going through the square!
Anyway, i've found the web site & train times from an earlier post on the Forum. Thanks go to the original poster for the info.

Train Times:
FROM PALMA TO SOLLER..............FROM SOLLER TO PALMA
08:00....................................................... 06:45
10:40 - tourist train with photo stop.............09:15
13:00.......................................................11:50
15:15....................................................... 14:10
20:05 (19:45 in winter)...............................19:00 (18:30 in winter)
Telephone 0034 971 630301 for further details.
or look
http://www.todoesp.es/trensoller/html/horario.html
in spanish but gives trains and tram times
Hi Peter, thankyou for that info, we have done the train before from palma to soller with the tram etc....I totally agree a great day. The only problem this time is we are kind of doing it in reverse, we are going to drive to soller where the guys in our group are going to fish for the day while the ladies of the group catch the train to palma for retail therapy plus culture. As before we caught the train from palma had no idea about the tour buses in Palma, sounds just what the ladies require plus if it means they get driven past some of the shops hopefully the plastic won`t take such a bashing..lol. Only one more day at work and according to one weather site tonight the only day threatened with rain is monday....fingers crossed. Thanks again Shaz and Col
As a Soller regular, it may be better (and much cheaper) for the ladies to catch the Port De Soller to Palma express bus, it takes half an hour and is around 2 euros each way. The bus station in Palma is just behind the Inca and Soller Railway stations and is a five minute walk to el Corte Ingles Department Store and another three minutes to Caller Sindicat, one of the better shopping areas in Palma.

I know, my wife and I do it every year, whether I like it or not!!! :lol:
I have done it it very pretty, but pretty horrible if you are cold.

When you come out off the train the Cathedral is nearby get a map Here are my directions for you walk thr the town it will take you fifteen minute walking like a crazy person. so half an hour:Cross the road from the station,Burger king on the right you want to walk across and there is a road in the middle going down the hill you will come to a walking street turn left there and follow it thr to a big plaza, straight thr passed benneton on your left keep going passed a big old olive tree ( olive tree on the right), keep going and there she is on the left.With the Kings palace on the right.
If that is as clear as mud get a map or print it and take it with you.
Off to Palma on sunday, can anyone recommed a nice restuarant, as we arrive at about 9.45 pm and will need food. Never been to Majorca before we will be staying at the Horizonte hotel near porta pi, will this be open then,as I have heard it has a few restaurants. Has anyone been ot the hotel it seems to have a good write up for being a 2 star. :glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.