Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
PAPHOS
309 Posts
dont rub it in, your have a great time though, i only got 50 weeks left till i go again.
As the person who started off this thread I wish to thank everyone for their input, even if it did go off track a few times. At least we have a few hotels named for us to avoid. I think the old excuse that cats kill the other vermin is a bit of a red herring and lame excuse for lazy hotel owners who cant be bothered to spend money on professional pest busters if they have a problem. If the tourists feed the cats thats even better as far as the hoteliers are concerned.

Must admit to being a bit worried now as it seems that in Cyprus where there are aren't any cats the whole place is swarming with dangerous creatures that swallow tourists alive? Having survived five trips to India I guess we will be OK as long as the snakes aren't bigger than the Indian Python.

Anyway I think we might risk it at the Athena Royal Beach unless anyone tells me different.

Incidentally a cousin of ours contracted viral encephalitis about 12 months ago. A very nasty, disabling disease that has left her with a type of premature Alzheimers at age 58. She was very much a cat lover, member of CPL and she took in feral and stray cats, up to 6 or 7 at a time. Probably just a coincidence.

"What causes encephalitis?The cause of encephalitis varies depending on the season, the area of the country, and the type of exposure. Viruses are the leading cause of encephalitis. Although vaccines for many viruses, including measles, mumps, rubella, and chickenpox have greatly lowered the rate of encephalitis from these diseases, other viruses can cause encephalitis. These include herpes simplex virus and rabies.Encephalitis can also occur following infection by disease-carrying agents including ticks (Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever), mosquitoes (West Nile virus, St. Louis encephalitis), and cats (toxoplasmosis and cat-scratch disease)."

Cheers everyone
Hollylolly, I stayed at the Ascos at Coral Bay. The Kestrel is still there but I suspect it may move on as the builders move in!
Its the giant cockroaches under your bed that you need to be worried about. :wink: :yipee
i didnt see any cochroaches, only as i was walking to town, and saw one on the side of the road, it was massive.
Hello Chrismaleuk
We are staying at the Athena Royal next month it is a nice hotel.
We stayed at the Athena which is next door to the Royal in April, and the cats were down to two then.

Regards John
your are so lucky to be going on holiday again. wish it was me.
http://cyprusliving.netfirms.com/photogallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/normal_114_1458.JPG

This close...lovely chap...whip snake a baby..
yes thats looks exactly like the one i had around me.
I thought it looked like one of the waiters!!
:roll: :D :) Can any one suggest a good place to go to, self catering, first two weeks in October for me, my husband and a 5 year old in Paphos.

*Edit bold removed -Glynis*
HI,
When we went to Paphos last year we stayed at the Damon Apartments. They were great, clean child friendly and cheap. When we go back we will be staying there again for sure.
Claire.
:D Hi thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the weather today I need to
book some sunshine :lol:
We stayed at the Avanti Village Apartments which were first class. We found it cheaper to book directly with them.
I woul suggest the Aliathon Apartments which are situated along the strip in a nice quiet area some thirty minutes walk from the harbour.

Walked around the site in July they where excellant and had all been refurbished, basically they are all villas sitauted around a main pool.

On site there is an excellant supermarket, restaurant, bank etc

Hope this helps.
hi wanderer

I agree with you that the aliathon is a really nice apartment complex the pools are first class and the gardens are quite nice with plenty of grassy areas for the kids or for sunbathing as well as the areas around the pools . but not all of the apartments have been refurbished there are three different standards within the complex . we stayed there early july and had a really nice superior one bedroom apartment it had air conditioning and good cooking/kitchen facilities also sky tv in the lounge and bedroom and a cd player .it also had a massive balcony with the best of loungers and tables also a second balcony at the other side of the building looking out to the road. but on our last day we could not keep the room on beyond 12.00 so we were given a standard studio apartment that was quite damp and smelly with pretty old furniture and very basic kitchen it had a small terrace at the side of the apartment made up of broken crazy paving and had only a tiny plastic table and two plastic chairs .there was also legions of ants the size of 10 pence pieces running around the room no way my wife would have stayed in the room overnight. the other standard of apartment is the lions club timeshare apartments that are even better than the superior apartment . otherwise the complex was very relaxing although you have to get used to an endless procession of timeshare reps taking their pray around the complex . we booked the holiday independant on the aliathons website and got the superior room for£ 52.00cy per night which was pretty good for the standard of the room . hth willie
I have also heard the Avanti is lovely. We have some friends
who have just come back from there. They said :tup They are booking again for next year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.