Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
You can ask anyone who runs an internet cafe in Calangute.... the one on the way to the calangute beach called Sify should be able to give you that information....

Or check out the following:

https://services.vsnl.net/new/buy_online.jsp
We find the easiest way to connect our lap top is Bluetooth Mobil and Airtel yearly indian Sim card. :wink:
This is supposed to be really cheap - in comparison to our Broadband deals.

Do you take your own laptops, what extra's do you need.
or do you purchase your laptops out there?

Would I have to change the sim card I already hold which will be in date when we go back next month

Thanks.
Cheers Split

So i take it your laptop has a bluetooth card in? and you use your phone as the modem?
No the lap top does not need a bluetooth card,providing you have bluetooth on your phone you will need a dongle which you can get out there,or get here in the UK.and plugs into a usb port on the laptop, the lap top just need to find the phone via the dongle ,then it just dials up your airtel connection.Not the fastest because its dial up but very conveniant to do in your appartment or where ever.
The sim card has to be a special Airtel yearly one and there are places that will configure your lap top for you and sell the sim card and dongle .only takes about 15 mins to do. Arte Douo in Calangute near the temple is computer and phone shop .They set ours up 3 years ago,so now just have to renew the sim once a year.Last year was 12 Rps for 24 hrs on line,maybe it will go up this year to 18 rps for 24 hrs.Still cheap.
Good luck
Thanks Split that sounds like just the ticket!

Ive got a bluetooth dongle I use here, think i got it from china for literally 2 quid.
I will be getting them a Dell laptop and I know you can get bluetooth card installed inside for around £30, might work better than the dongle as im always worried about it sticking out the back incase it snaps off etc. If I know my old man though he'll weigh £2 against £30 and it will be no contest :lol:

I think they know the shop you mean too!

Muchos Thanks 8)

Ian.
we bought a 12 month airtel sim card last season is this the one we need or when you say special does it have to be a specific one ?

also never heard of a dongle but looked on e.bay and there seems to be different ones ?

and is it possible to configure it our selves ?

thanks for any info :D
Yes it is a specific Airtel sim card,valid for a year but also, it was last year 3000rps, that includes dial up for computers,all texts and phone calls.Maybe expensive for a 2 or 3 week holiday but for long term still good value.
If your good with computers (im not) then you could probably do it yourself.But they only charge about 600rps to do it for you.Just take the lap top into the shop with you when you buy your sim card.
As far as the dongle is concerned ,i think the only difference is the distances that the phone will work away from the computer.The futher
you want the phone away from the computer the dearer the dongle.

Im not a whiz kid with computers and i find it very easy to work.
Hope iv explained it well enough.
Are there plenty of internet cafe's in Goa and are they 'cheap' to use?
Saggy
The Airtel option is cheap but relatively slow, esp at certain times of the day. Tata do a V-Data card which is more expensive but much faster. The guy will call around to your place to fill out ther forms and collect the money, then a day or so later someone else calls around to verify that you actually live at the given address, then another man brings the data card, sets it all up and gives you a demo.....easy!!

GFFxx
Hi, Does anyone have any info on w-fi cards at all?
I will only be in Goa for 3 weeks and moving around, so broadband is not an option.
I know prices vary substantially, and I have no idea what the going rates are!
Many thanks
Mimi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.