EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi Lin

try http://www.sify.com

Couldnt find much else out about it to be honest, i know opposite babutes between candolim/calangute the shop across the road has broadband and thats by sify. (just past the footie field.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for that, the only info I couldn't find was the cost, but will look into it in more detail.

Lin
Just had another look on the Sify site, you can have wireless broadband connectivity, No telephone or modem needed, the price is 7-10 rupees per hour.
bit cheaper than aol :lol:
Just a bit Andy, there is an initial charge of around £44 to have the receiver thingy put on the roof, plus there is the added convenience of not having to keep going to internet cafe [or elephant shop]
sounds good lin I think one of my neighbours has it
Packing so/so not there yet!!
Chilly
Hi Chilly, we are going to look into having it installed when we get there. You would be packed if you didn't spend so much time on here :rofl :rofl
Lin
LOL I know!!!!!! I'm useless :rofl :rofl Now I am waiting for my other half to tell me what he wants to take!!! before I can proceed with it!!! hey Lin its crazy do you find you always pack loads of clothes even tho you know that you never wear them when you get there!! I do and I just cant help myself!! I do it every time , you pack them all, unpack them, dont wear them and then have to bring them all back!! and they still need washing even tho you havent worn 'em as everything in Goa gets dirty!! Is there some knack to not packing all these unnecessary things!!?? I do wear a few bits but wear stuff i buy there mostly, so how does anyone else decide what 'few bits' they will need and pack only them!! HELP!!! please give me some tips!!!!! honestly after all the years I've been travelling you'd think I would have got this sussed!!!!!!!!!!
Chilly
Chilly I will start a new tiopic about launderettes in Goa.
Hi ladies,
both of the the following offer a broadband service. GFF
http://www.relianceinfo.com
http://www.tataindicom.com
Thanks for that [calling me a lady] I have had a quick look at them, but seems you need phone connection, will get other half to have a look, as I am not very good with technology.

Lin
Hi All,

We're also interested in a good internet connection and just the thought of broadband gets me excited.... (well I was a computer programmer in the UK so I like my gadgets etc)

We currently have the TATA Indicom Walky phone which is quite good, but not what I would call broadband. It is faster than dialup in the UK (probably twice as fast when it winds up), but not broadband speed.

The good points are....

1. It's a wireless phone, which makes it great you don't need to have a new wire attached to your house (which is bound to be brought down by a palm leaf at some point in the first year)

2. Connected to a laptop, it's nearly portable (the phone itself is a standard normal desk phone with an aerial, but has limited battery life when in use for data transfer.

3, As it has a battery when the power goes off you connection isn't cut - good for Goa!

4. Speeds are normally OK (as long as you have at least 3 bars on the connection) and generally connects first time...

5. Also a standard phone

6. I can leave it on 24/7.... :o)

Bad points

1. I've spent more time in the TATA indicom office trying to get money back off them as they cvharged me too much to start with (tourist price), even though I applied as the charity and even got it under the name of a local... So it took 5 months to get my money back...

2. I've received one bill from them, all the others have either not been sent or been lost on the travels

3. I think it's relatively pricey at about 1700 Rs/- a month for unlimited use, plus any phone calls you make on the phone

4. If you have bad reception then can be a pain. (They bring a phone round and try before so you can try before you buy)

5. It's good, but it's not broadband!

I am interested about getting broadband so if anyone can comment on the speeds, customer service etc about the other then please do...
I'll secong that! broadband a must!!
Chilly
Hi Rob,
I had the same problem last year with the walky phone. Paid the deposit and they never turned up with the goods. Took ages to get my money back.
I used to use the reliance mobile connected to laptop but after a few months everyone cottoned on to Reliance so the network was jammed and connection soooo slow.
Hopefully this season somebody will come up with a solution.
GFF
Poipleshadow & lin B.
If you have a BSNL phone line they offer you broadband at a very nominal rate.. if you have a laptop and want to go wireless...

then have a look at Tata Indicom's Vdata is a wireless network card that fits into standard type II PCMCIA card slot in notebook PCs. This enables you to make voice calls without any network cable or mobile phone. Also enjoy the easy access to your business applications Internet, intranet, extranet as well as corporate LAN. With Vdata, you can make a call or send SMS.

Capable of giving up-to 153kbps.
DAK
Hi Dax, I have a vodaphone card that enables me to use my laptop anywhere, but it is painfully slow,and my patience isn't... I don't have a phone line in goa, thats why the siffy option appeals to me, but will look in to available options when I get there.

Lin
Does anyone have any stats/experiences on the sify option? BSNL is another place (that we tried first) but I was not willing to part with an extra 5000 Rs/- or whatever just because I have white skin. I don't know how large companies get away with such racisim... It definately wouldn't happen in the UK... (Sorry my little moan over...).

I saw on a board a while back that option, but it was only for current BSNL users (the one I read anyway), and at the moment I want to be sure about the service/cost etc before going through the hassle of changing...
Hi Lin and Rob,

I have a BSNl phone line. So, to have the broadband connected cost me 500 rupees and 1500 for the router. (machine that has modem........ummm I think) My phone is in my partners name, who is Indian. Rob, the price you were asked might have included a phone connection? That would be in line I think with the going rate.

The speed is 12 mbp. I have not got my first full bill yet but I am told it is dirt cheap. I had the sancharnet card before so can only compare to that.

Remember if you get a phone line, you may only change residence once in any year that they will re-connect you.

Hope that is clear.

Cheers

Carol
I forgot to say that all about it was great. Installation smooth. Speed is great, no problems at all. I will keep in touch about the monthly costs.

Cheers

Carol
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.