Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I'm flying Qatar so it doesn't apply to me but I seem to remember reading something last season about tour operators switching planes to Monarch so it doesn't seem to be a new thing.

It's a bit of a cheek considering a lot of people will actively avoid flying with Monarch, myself included.
IIRC, Thomas Cook changed their Gatwick-Goa flights from their own aircraft to Monarch last season (with seat pitch 29 inches).

I've read on TA that some people flying TC (not only to Goa but other long-haul destinations) have had letters advising that due to operational changes their plane will have seat pitch of 29 inches.
It does seem that our friends Thomas Cook are messing about and subcontracting out flights far too frequently these days. One understands that occasionally planes break down and emergency swaps have to be done, but this seems to now be a regular thing with TC.
One reads of nice longhaul legroom and IFE in the TC brochure, and then find they have dumped you onto a Monarch sardine can - excuse being "operational reasons", and their terms and conditions prevent you from cancelling just because they swapped the plane.
The moral of the tale maybe ought to be, paraphrasing their TV ad....
"Don't just Thomas Cook it - book it somewhere else" !!
I was going to book a three week flight only with T.C. but found I could get it slightly cheaper with Qatar, so did'nt, thank heavens. I've squeezed into Monarch over the years and had a lousey flight, but since my wife got a total knee replacment. leg room is imperative. I'd be less than happy if this had happened to us, is it a change that would allow cancellation? Just glad we usually use scheduled airlines and DIY packages now. Since the big two package companies , Thomas Cook and Thomsons got control of the market in the UK they seem to treat their customers disgracefully. On a slightly different tangent we have used , over the years, an internet company, Netflight, their service was spot on, but this past year or so, they have been taken over by Thomas Cook, and now you are sure of at least a ten minute hold whenever you call them, wherass before your call was always answered promptly.
Alan
:duh 29inch seat thats the last thing I want to hear my hubby is 6.4 and he just could not sit on a 9 hr flight in a seat that small ..so that mens now we will have to pay God knows how much more to get bigger leg room seats gramps your spot on it is better to go DIY never again will we go other than DIY ....colleen
IrishColleen
Just for clarification:
has anyone had a letter from Thomas Cooke to say they are now going on a Monarch plane to Goa in November instead of the TC plane ...colleen

Have you actually had a letter saying your TC flight is now with Monarch?
Exactly the same happened to us (and many others,i expect)in January of this year.
We were not very happy about it at all,and as i said at the time on HT,We would have paid extra NOT to go with Monarch.But the holiday was booked and we did not want to cancel, so Monarch it was.However,If i am truthful,the flight was not too bad,the seat pitch didn't seem too cramped,food was passable and both outward and return flight were on time. So guess what,This year we have booked with Jewel in the Crown who use Monarch,because we thought their package prices were good.
Will let you know in January if i am still in favour or not!!!! :) :cheers Paula
I am booked with JITC in January as well. Fingers crossed
No PPP we have not had a letter from TC up to now but have read over on TA of November flights that were to be TC and now have been changed I cant see them changing just one flight it will be them all ...colleen
Colleen, I wouldn't worry until you get notification from Thomas Cook. As you know we are on the same flight as you and we've not had anything. They told us in June/July last year when we went with them that they were changing our flight in Novembern to Monarch. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't, just keep our fingers crossed xx
Colleen
If it's the thread on TA that I'm thinking about, it's not people being notified about their flight being operated by Monarch instead of Thomas Cook - but about TC saying they're using a plane that only has 29" seat pitch but it's still a Thomas Cook plane.
Of course some people might say if it's 29" seat pitch it doesn't really matter which airline it is. :think

Are you sure TC have advised people that they are using Monarch?
:rofl Its the 29 inch seat I dont like dont care who takes me to Goa as long as I get there but poor hubby will be so cramped in the small seats if they use a smaller plane ..colleen
I must admit I think it's very sneaky of Thomas Cook to change things about on long-haul flights.

Last year they switched their Gatwick-Goa flights to Monarch (not sure of the reasons).
You pay extra for meals on Thomas Cook, Monarch meals are free on long-haul.
I think Thomas Cook hold allowance is 15kg, Monarch is 20kg.
I'm not sure if TC refunded those passengers who'd paid for so-called extras on their planes that came free on the airline they actually flew with.

At least if you purposely book Monarch, you know what you're getting.
This will be our 10th time flying LGW-GOI on Monarch and we don't mind it.
Neither of us is overweight or over-tall, lack of seat back IFE doesn't bother us either.
However, I do know a lot of people actively avoid flying with Monarch.

But for TC to advertise 'more leg room' and not provide it is, IMO, sharp practice.

I'm still not sure though, Colleen, which TA thread mentions changes from TC to Monarch.
TA thread doesn't mention Monarch I think people have just assumed that because they used them last year the same will happen this year. TC have 47 planes of various sizes so they aren't a small fleet.
I've just rung Thomas Cook to ask whether our flight will be on the plane with 33" pitch or a smaller one. They have said that at the moment, its the 33" pitch, but we would have notification if they changed this, which is as I thought. So, Colleen stop panicking until/if you get a letter. :cheers
Music to my ears Polly thats what I want to hear ..
TA thread doesn't mention Monarch I think people have just assumed that because they used them last year the same will happen this year. TC have 47 planes of various sizes so they aren't a small fleet.
I have just thought yep going to do the same thing this time round :whoops
From what I can make out from TA, it is Manchester flights, and TCX are downsizing from the A330 to a 737. Less leg room, no seatback TV.

Last year our Gatwick flights were bumped to Monarch, and PrettyPollyCat, I can confirm there was NO compensation for the fact we had paid for extra baggage etc.

Last year our Gatwick flights were bumped to Monarch, and PrettyPollyCat, I can confirm there was NO compensation for the fact we had paid for extra baggage etc

Very naughty of TC, Mobor One.

Did you ask about a refund?
TC won't down size to a B737 it's far too small (it only holds around 150-180 passengers) and also, it would have to refuel a couple of times there and back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.