Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Not sure on the amount, but all the times we've been to Egypt we've never had, nor known of anyone that has had, a currency check.

Just about anywhere will take Sterling and US Dollars, and you get a better rate if you change your money out there anyway.
Don't know how true this is but you get a far better rate changing money in Egypt anyway. You can also access your money through ATMs.
I'm sure swiss (who lives out there) has answered this before and what you state is correct. You can only take out the equivalent of 1000 egyptian which is about 100 sterling.

Not sure why, just one of those odd regulations that countries have. As Ev says though, I have never heard anyone having a currency check but I suppose they could if they wanted to.

Most people take the 1000 Egyptian to tide them over on the first day and take the rest in sterling or sterling travellers cheques (not sure how easy it is to cash these) or withdraw money from an ATM with their cash card.
Yes there is a limit on the amount of Egyptian pounds that one can bring in to the country - a throwback to the old days of stricter currency controls such as in the UK back in the 50s and 60s. But I too have never seen any checks or searches on people for doing just that.

But quite frankly I do not know why anyone would want to buy any Egyptian currency in the UK unless they like to throw money out of the window. Right now in the banks here you get LE 11.40 or more ( LE standing for livres egyptiennes or Egyptian pounds ) for each British quid. I wonder how much you will get in the UK right now ??

The travel companies will think of a thousand ways to squeeze your money out of you before you travel... such as by selling you visas, excursions, insurance and, of course, foreign currency.

You don t need anything to tide you over, ( and definitely nothing as much as LE 1000 ), as there are bank exchange counters and ATMs in the arrivals halls of the airports, ports and even in or near most hotels.

There is a fallacy that one is expected to shower tips on every Tom, Dick and Harry, ( or should I say, every Ahmed, Mohamed and Ali ), as soon as one's feet touch Egyptian soil.

Not true.

Just bring English, ( no Scottish, Guernsey and Jersey ), bank notes, ( I always recommend 10s and 20s so you don t need to change big amounts in one shot ), and your plastic friend.
Thanks very much everyone - might just cancel my currency order with the travel agent. The only thing that worries me is that we will arrive in Sharm no doubt tired and harrassed after 5 hours on the plane with our 2 small children! We will then be bussed off to our resort pretty much straight away, I would imagine. At least if we do it in the UK then I know it's been done. Hmm, I'll have a think. Thank you for the excellent advice though.
i just got £100 in egyptian pounds ex rate 10.68
and £100 in american dollars ex rate 1.93 yesterday from the halifax..dollar bills for tipping at the airport :wink: it`ll do us for a few days

sharon
But they will gratefully acceptpayment and tips in LE, Euro's, $$$ or £££

Why bother taking any other currency than £££????
Well, as usual, I disagree with Swiss just a tad. I ALWAYS ensure I have 100quids worth of Egyptian in my wallet when arriving as you never know when you might need some local currency, immediately, for all sorts of possibilities when in any foreign country.

I do, however, agree with Swiss that you do not need to tip everybody that you come across! My first tip always goes to the guy who smiles expansively and carries your hopelessly overstuffed suitcases to your, often distant room. Please, please do NOT give him British pounds, as, although he will tell you they are fine, they are not! He cannot change them in a bank, as with any foreign coins, so he will have to get a British guest to change for him.
cos i`m a tight MAKEM :D and can give a dollar tip which is around 50p

sharon
You must have a lot of luggage, Carrot !

Cos I can t see where you can spend a hundred quid in two weeks at the Nuweiba Hilton, ( as it is all inclusive for those who might not be aware ) let alone in the first one or two days !

:lol:
I never do spend it, Swiss, thankfully! But, if I should need it for some emergency, I would have it, wouldn't I? In fact, I've got £58 in Egyptian left from my last visit to bring out this time and NO, I cant lend you a tenner! :lol:
What he didn't explain swiss was that it was the same 100 quid that has been going back and forth all these years. :wink:
Thank you, Doe, thats quite enough of that! :oops:

Actually, I find it quite easy to spend £100 and more at the Coral in a fortnight. Especially now the hairdressers/beauty salon is open! So civilized to let someone else shave you, I think. Then. there's the wife's hairdos, colouring etc., and on top of that a pair of gold earrings in the jewellery shop (for the wife, Wizard!), some saffron in the spice shop, a new wallet in the leather shop, a couple of posy t-shirts in the t-shirt shop, a new galabya in the clothes shop and thats before Victor gets his share by supplying everything from Red Sea fish guides to a new set of earphones for the MP3!

The rotund hotelier has absolutely no idea of the expenses involved in sharing Paradise with him! :roll:
i`m all inclusive as well, but we have presents to buy and baccy for the shisha and whatever else kids want to buy..whats the best to use to pay for trips..won`t be much cos the kids don`t wanna do the pyramids.!!!!!

sharon
Just to add to whats been said. 1000 Egyptian thats the rule. You can change your currency as soon as you get off the plane at the airport, although its better at the banks. The exchange rate in Egypt is much better than here, currently 11.42 at the NSGB.

Also, if you want to buy duty free on the way back use US dollars (good rate at the mo :) ) as they ALWAYS try to rip you off if you use Egyptian or English.

regards

Stew
thanx for that chelsea...knew it was worth gettin US dollars for something :lol:

sharon
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.