Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Fly Thomas Cook
30 Posts
Hi

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss....

To reply to your question: I would have thought Thomas Cook would tell you to through your holiday insurers but a lot depends on how you booked the flights and your holiday?

Reading between the lines it makes me think you did not book a package with a tour operator which may have an effect on any claim.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
You're right, it was purely a flight booking and we were already out in Turkey when we made the booking (we had a house over there).

I'm not sure the insurers would pay out for the unused flights as they have already paid out for the hospital bill in Turkey and for the cost of flights to repatriate us back to the UK. I have no quarrel with the insurance company - they were great.

I suppose I was just looking for some compassion from Thomas Cook. They were useless when we were out in Turkey when we tried to change the flights to earlier ones to get back home (when we didn't know if the insurance company would repatriate us).
Hi Jakki,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Some airlines will do a refund if you are able to provide them with a death certificate and i personally would try with them again. I know it might be hard to deal with but sometimes it works.
You probably didn't get much help from them and i know this sounds sick but unfortunately some people say such and such has died in order to cancel and try to get a refund. I personally have heard this quite a few times when i use to work in a call centre and one couple even dropped themselves in it. I had the lady on the one phone and my colleague next door had the so called deceased person on the other !!!

Companies should show compassion and if not already mentioned, would try again and show the insurance documents, hospital letters and death certificate to back up your case. They may do it but may not.

Good Luck

Thanks
Hi Jakki,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm no expert but I would have thought that your travel insurance would cover you for your flight refunds in such circumstances as the death of your partner.
Hi Jak, I am really sorry to hear of your loss. I knew from another forum your partner was taken ill in Turkey but didn't realize it was serious. You can do without arguing the toss about a couple of flights at this moment in time. I am appalled Thomas Cook haven't reimbursed you. Take care.
So sorry to hear your sad news.

Just a suggestion but if TC won't refund the flight cost, maybe they would let you change the flight date to use perhaps next year.....God Bless

Caz
I'm not sure the insurers would pay out for the unused flights as they have already paid out for the hospital bill in Turkey and for the cost of flights to repatriate us back to the UK. I have no quarrel with the insurance company - they were great.

I'm sorry to hear of your sad loss.

Am I right in assuming from the above that you haven't yet checked with your insurer about whether they would re-imburse you for the flights back home that you are now unable to use because your trip was cut short on account of your partner's ill health? Given that they did take care of you and repatriate you early they clearly regarded that as a vlaid claim within the terms of your insurance policy so I would contact them and explain the position. Like Shirley, I would have assumed that they would cover you for this but you won't know if you don't ask. Give them a try.

maybe they would let you change the flight date to use perhaps next year

Or give you a credit note that you could use for a future trip when you feel ready?

SM
Jakki, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm not sure you will get anywhere with the insurers as they may well say they have already paid for flights to the UK as part of the repatriation, but you should try.

I think your best course is to pursue the matter with Thomas Cook, as a previous poster said providing them with a copy of the death certificate may make them change their minds.

Do let us know what happens.
Jakki - my deepest sympathy to you. I would give my insurer a ring again and explain the situation. If this fails, then I would provide Thomas Cook with an explanatory letter accompanied by a copy of the death certificate. You are not heartless, every penny will be important to you at this sad time.
So sorry to hear of your loss,Jakki.I think you have been given some good advice by previous posters,hope you manage to get a refund for your flights.Tina.
So sorry to hear of your loss and I have nothing to add regarding a refund of the unused flights that hasn't already been said.

Which insurance company were you with as we normally only hear when things go wrong?

luci :wave
As Judith says above they will certainly say that flights back home were paid for as part of the repatriation.
As Judith says above they will certainly say that flights back home were paid for as part of the repatriation.

But the flights jakki is now trying to claim for were booked before her partner was taken ill and should therefore still be insured. Are we trying to say here that only one lot of flights is covered on an insurance policy? I'm presuming jakki's policy is an annual one.
Yes, the insurance was an annual policy with Insure & Go and I have no complaints with them. They repatriated us back to the UK so I think they will say that was compensation enough for us not being able to use the flights on 7 November. I don't have a problem with that as at least they got us home speedily.

I suppose I was just hoping for some compassion from Thomas Cook. I will do as advised and write to them, enclosing the required information, and see what they say.

Jak xx
shirley h wrote:

But the flights jakki is now trying to claim for were booked before her partner was taken ill and should therefore still be insured. Are we trying to say here that only one lot of flights is covered on an insurance policy? I'm presuming jakki's policy is an annual one.

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm not an insurance expert so hope I'm wrong but I can't see the Insurance Company reimbursing someone for the same flight twice.
I believe Jakki and her partner were in Turkey on an extended holiday from August to November when her partner was taken ill. The Insurance company then paid for flights back to the UK in September. Any future flights booked by Jakki before her partner was taken ill would be reimbursed by the Ins.Company but this is not the case in this instance.

I hope Jakki gets some satisfaction from Thomas Cook and I'm sorry that she is having extra worry at such a sad and stressfull time.

Judith
Hmmm

As far as I'm aware most insurance policies will only cover you for a certain period outside of the UK (the norm is generally 30 days maximum at any one time) although some companies will allow you to extend that period for a fee.

It sounds like the initial payment/repatriation would have come into this period if Jackie and her husband left UK in August and returned in September.

It sounds like the only option may be to go back to Fly Thomas Cook with copies of the paperwork as suggested.

Unfortunately, it's also very true that people often use the death of a family member or relative as an excuse in the hope the tour operator will refund in sympathy. I've seen it many times working with a UK tour operator.

However, providing the necessary paperwork may be of assistance but isn't a guarantee. Also, it's getting close to the date of the actual flight so any refund may be negligible if they use cancellation polices/tables when considering a financial return.

Good luck with it Jackie.
We were covered for our extended stay with our insurance company as we had ensured that each trip we took could be up to 90 days long. The insurance company wasn't a problem and I have nothing but praise for them. I wouldn't even ask them to compensate me for the flights we didn't take as they got us alternative flights in order to repatriate us.

Once again, I was just hoping for a little consideration from Thomas Cook. Even a credit note would have been helpful as I am going to have to return to Turkey at some stage to collect my personal belongings from the house, pay bills, sort out everything, etc (not yet though, it's too early for me to have to go through that). To be honest, I'm not even going to bother any more - I found the attitude of the person I spoke to very unhelpful to say the least.

Thanks everybody for your kind comments.

Jak xx
really sorry about your loss

you could try selling the tickets on ebay ive done this a few times x
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I don't want this to sound horrible in anyway but this is normal for any travel company. They would normally refer you back to your travel insurance company who should cover you for these additional costs.

Give them a ring if you haven't already and see what they say.

Good luck!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.