Travel News

A place to discuss news related to the travel industry
Mykonos and Santorini are ridiculous places to use as a comparison and Phuket is so cheap as it's the rainy season.
However I am doing the opposite and going shorthaul instead of long and have come to the conclusion that I will be spending more when you take daily spends into account.
The air fare is obviously more long haul. My accommodation in Zante is a fairly basic studio. For the same price in Hua Hin in Thailand I could get -in the hotel I last stayed at- a living area bigger than the studio , bedroom and state of the art bathroom. On the long balcony is a large plunge pool. ( I usually stay somewhere else for part of the time where I would stay in a similar spec to Zante for half the price. Daily costs- half the cost going long haul.
It's been a real eye opener.
I priced up just accommodation only for Spain & got a big shock...my friend said Benidorm prices have shot up also just for accommodation.
I was idly looking at prices for Greece (Corfu) for late Summer ,after the kids (in theory!!) are back at school. I reckon its 15-20% more expensive than last year before taking account of daily food and drink spend -add on this new tourist tax as well and its approaching the cost of AI in the Caribbean.
I agree with Fiona. Mykonos and Santorini are ridiculous places to use as a comparison.
They are the 2 most expensive islands. Try comparing Zante, Kos, Corfu, Rhodes.
The tourist tax in Greece if you stay in a 2 star SC studio (which most people do) this will cost you 50 cents per room per night. So hardly expensive.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.