Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
what a wonderful place. Plenty to do and see.Was amazed at how lovely a place it is.People are so nice no hassles at all.Stayed at Meteor Plaza which was very central.It was at top of old town next street to Powder Tower. Wenslas square was round the corner and charles bridge bottom of road.Very central and excellent rooms.Eating out was lovely never saw one restuarant i wouldnt have eaten in.All in all i would return here it was excellent place
Just got back from Prague again and used the following restaurants, all of which were very good and fairly cheap.

http://www.restaurace-u-graffu.cz/EN/home.asp

Next to IP Pavlova metro station, basement restaurant, quite now with a bright decor, food and service were excellent.

http://www.olympia-restaurant.cz/index.php?place=12&show=hot

On Vitenza, the 22 and 23 tram stop right outside it if you are coming from the other side of the river, it is one of the Pilsener Urquell restaurants, food and staff both excellent.

http://www.ambi.cz/ambi_living_kontakt_eng.php

Just up the road from Namesti Miru metro station, food and service both excellent although the night we went (Sunday) it was full and we couldnt get sat in the non smoking section, it wasnt that smoky, but if you are really bothered it may be an idea to book.

All 3 of the above sell traditional Czech food as well as more European dishes.
Hi All,
I've just returned from a 3 day break in Prague, very nice it was too. Weather was good, hotel nice (Best Western - Moran, very Novotel but adequate), food and drink good and cheap and the sights were excellent. We had a very full 3 days, lots of walking, through choice, and lots of places to visit.
A couple of tips to save some money.
Don't get a taxi from the airport (500-600 czk) the bus, followed the Metro costs just 20 czk (that's 500 = 12.50 sterling, 20 = 50p). We used this method both ways and found navigation easy, all you need is a good map showing where the Metro stations are in relation to where you want to go. Tickets are "time limited and zone limited" so by a ticket for 20 czk and it will last about 90 mins from when you first validate it. Tickets are bought at corner shops/kiosks, just keep them in your pocket until you need one and then when you board the first form of transport place it in the machine, it will stamp a date and time. That's it, just keep it in your pocket for the remainder of your journey.
If you choose to take a cruise on the river, as we did, don't get too excited about the food, it is described as cold/hot buffet style food. After eating some fantastic home cooked style traditional Czech food I was, to say the least, disappointed with the offering on board. A bottle of wine, which had cost 195 czk in a restuarant, on the boat cost 490 czk, now to me that's a rip-off. The trip, at night, was quite good, but to be honest for the few buildings that were lit up you could have visited them all by road, and seen others as well. In my opinion not worth the 1300 czk. The views were average, the food the same and the drink expensive. Our guide, for 4 people, went and sat at the table of a friend of hers and spent the whole evening chatting with her.
I'd do it all again tomorrow, given the chance, but I'd do "a" boat trip during the day, independently.
Kevin
totally agree about the evening cruise. Luckily my hubby and I sat next to a lovely couple and had a great evening but the drink is sooo expensive and the food very mediocre.
If you are catching the bus at the airport and have a suitcase, as opposed to hand luggage, make sure you get a 10crown ticket for your case, and its bus 119.
Hi

I am off for a hen weekend in prague on 20th July, i was just wondering where is the the best place drink & dance, old town or new town? I have heard that the prices of the drinks has gone up alot :-(, is this true?

thanks

Cluelss
As you'd expect food and drinks are more expensive in the main squares and tourist places - if you go up side streets and away from these places though you can still get some really cheap prices.
Travelling to Prague in September and wondered if you can by Hamlet cigars at prague airport on the return journey- realise you are tied to the customs limits of the UK
Hi all
We are going to this hotel in December for my 50th birthday,has any one stayed in this hotel a review would be apprieciated
Thanx
Andy and Pat :lol:
hi Andy and Pat
I've asked for this hotels to be added to our reviews and it should be there soon. Check the Other Destinations review section. Hopefully someone will give it its first review before you go :D

Don't get a taxi from the airport (500-600 czk) the bus, followed the Metro costs just 20 czk (that's 500 = 12.50 sterling, 20 = 50p). We used this method both ways and found navigation easy, all you need is a good map showing where the Metro stations are in relation to where you want to go. Tickets are "time limited and zone limited" so by a ticket for 20 czk and it will last about 90 mins from when you first validate it. Tickets are bought at corner shops/kiosks, just keep them in your pocket until you need one and then when you board the first form of transport place it in the machine, it will stamp a date and time. That's it, just keep it in your pocket for the remainder of your journey.

The 20CZK "Transfer" tickets are valid 75 mins from the time you validate them Mon-Fri 05:01 - 19:59. They are valid 90 Mins Mon-Fro 20:00 - 05:00 and all day Sat/Sunday.

If you know for sure you are only going to make a few tram/metro trips then the signle tickets are OK but on the basis your stopping for a few days and for the cost I'd always suggest getting for 3 day (220CZK) or 7 day (280CZK) tickets and you can hop on/off trams, metro and buses to your hearts content. You will need to get these from one of the travel centres or major metro stations. There is also a DPP desk at the airport too when you come out of baggage reclaim in T1 to the right.

Watch you bags on the Metro and Trams in the centre especially the 22 and 23 which are the ones to the Castle.

The Tram system is great and, as you suggest with a good map with the routes on it you can get to different areas very quickly if needed. Great for exploring some of the pubs and bars !

Cheers
Does anybody know which hotels I should be looking at and which I should avoid. We are looking for 3 or 4 nights in january and don't know which areas are best to look at. We don't want to pay too much but don't actually want to scrape the barrel either. Around £80 - £130 for 3 nights for 2 is about right. I have actually seen £37 but am reluctant to go somewhere just because it is cheap. Any help is appreciated :D :D
We stayed at the julian which is a 10 min walk into the old town buts lots of lovely cheap eateries nearby . great hotel and very reasonable. my niece stayed at the clositer inn which is another popular choice in the old town . Have a good look through the prague hotel reviews section on http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk and you should be able to make a good choice from their list.

lyn
thinking about going to prague 29th feb 08 for a weekend for my a friends 50th birthday.there will be 8 of use going and would like to know what the nightlife would be like at this time of the year.would bars etc be busy at this time of year
Hi

any recommendations on where to hire a car in Prague, and also, has any ever travelled by car from Prague to Vienna ?

any information would be most welcome i.e the distance, how long it takes, what is customes like etc etc
Nightlife in Prague..... really couldn't find anything much beyond normal bars/pubs which mainly shut by midnight. Which surprised us a lot. Ok, lots of touts trying to get us into seedy places... if that's your thing.
There are far far better places to go for nightlife, Krakow for one.
But then again you won't find a better lager than kozel dark :-)
just had an invite to a scottish/malaysian wedding in the old town hall prague in may 2008.
looking for decent three star hotel within walking distance of the venue.
prefer to walk in my full highland dress rather than taxi or bus.
would even consider a four star.
hope someone can recommend a good one.
4* Maximillian, 5 min walk from Old Town Square.
Many thanks for prompt reply
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.