Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Well you learn somthing new every day, no bluepeter I did'nt know that.

wgipk
I will have to remember to take my bus pass next time!.
Good tip is to get your passport page photocopied and laminated . Then you can fold it into your wallet or purse.
Bluepeterno1
The new style driving license will do, Tourists get very little hassle but the Turks have to produce their Kimlik (ID) or they get a big fine!
Yeh I will take my photographic driving licence :)
Should keep me covered then :P
I usually carry a copy of the info page from our passports - if nothing else my photo works to scare off any undesirables!!
That rule only applies to Turkish people, As they have to pay for an Identifactaion ticket which much be produced anytime a Policeman or Army person asks for it.
That rule applies to everyone i can assure you .
Bluepeterno1
Bluepeterno1,

Interesting topic, have now been going to Turkey for nine years and never been asked for ID. Imagine the scene, I'm strolling down from Club Turquoise towards Gima and enjoying the sun, T shirt on, shorts showing my legs to their best advantage, Factor 16 + shades. Do you mean to tell me that the local constabulary would expect me to have some ID on me along with the many thousands of others who frequent Marmaris ? mmmmm Couldn't argue the point as to the law and prepared to take what you say as accurate, however I'm not so sure regarding the enforcement of a law such as this. That said, I must be honest and say that if it was enforced I wouldn't find it a problem ( I'm pro ID cards for the UK)

Wilson :wink:
im trying to phone my sister, she lived in fetiye for yrs b4 going to istanbul
she and her children are classed as turkish citizens, now, so ill try and find out if this is right, she has moved back to the uk now, so i dont know if she'll know,
For all the doubting thomases on this site have a wee look at the bottom of this page on the link below

Bluepeterno1

CLICK HERE

*Edit to shorten link stretching forum Briar
Not sure why you need to alarm folks by pointing this out Bluepeter - unless you did it for a badge!

We've never been asked for any photo ID and have no intentions to starting carrying any around. The Turkish people welcome tourists and have no desire to put them off by hassling them for ID.

Chill out and forget this legalistic nonsense
Chill out who do you think you are talking to ,it is not nonsense it is the law , if you do not want to carry id thats your business , I was asked for id last week in Kadreye ,i reported this to make people aware thatn they should be carrying Id ,not to be put down by someone like you .

Bluepeterno1
Well said 'BLUEPETERNO1', i work with a lot of Turkish people and they told me sometime ago that you should carry ID with you. A photocopy of your passport is adequate for this. I am going in August for the first time and i will carry it with me, its not like it takes a lot of space !!!!!
Bluepeter, thanks for the info, personally i think it was good of you to take time and effort to inform us of this. For all doubters chelsea boy lives in turkey so obviously if he agrees, bluepeter is correct. Also it is good idea what happened if you had accident and no one knew who you were!
It would be fine using your driving licence (photographic new one) as ID wouldnt it?
I,m with yorkshire boy on this , stop worrying folk for nothing and let them go to this great country to enjoy themselves and not to worry if theyve forgot to take a photo out with them
Your right, but its not a question of worrying, its more the inconvenience that could arise if you are stopped and asked for ID, it dont take a lifetime to photocopy your passport, so surely for peace of mind its easier to just do it.

I certainly wouldnt be losing any sleep over it.
It does seem pretty weird as I've been 4 - 5 times before and never had or heard of anyone having problems showing ID? But I'll keep mine around for caution anyways
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.