Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
I was there in April this year. Not by choice. The holiday company changed my hotel booking at the last minute. The hotel is located midway between Monastir and Sousse and not on the beach (5mins walk away). Best thing about this hotel is the Spa. There's a big pool with a fair amount of outside space which shouldn't be too crowded at this time of year. Food in my opinion wasn't as good as it could have been. Avoid the salami burger!

I wouldn't go back but that is more to do with location than the hotel itself.

Dorra
thanks !!!
when we were at thalassa village in august only 5 mins walk away we went to have a noisy around , and it looked ok , so heres fingers crossed :sun2 x
Hi,

Just booked for a 2-week AI break at the Ramada Liberty Resort Hotel for the end of July and was wondering if anyone has had any experience of it?

Usually go to Turkey but thought we would give Tunisia a bash ..... Euro exchange rate puts us off going to the 'usuall' destinations.

There are 5-of us...4 adults and a 16yr old (family holiday)

We have seem many mixed reviews albiet there are far more good than bad.. :que
hi there
we were there nov 2009 and found the hotel was nice but food not very good
nothing much to do but as it was winter this may have been reason
please be careful of some ofthe animation team will not name them but the
practise of BEZNESS is rife
if you google it i am sure u will get an education
all the best
highlander
:) looked up google and certainly got an education on BEZNESS, never heard of it before

There are no 'free' women on our party and being a 'canny' Scot there's not much chance of handing money over after a few sob stories.

thanks for the warning Highlander...much appreciated
Thanks for the replies they are very helpful.

Alexnic - could I just ask you, how does the all in inclusive with the Liberty Resort Hotel work? Are there set times of the day when you are allowed to order food included in the all inclusive, or can you order any time? And does this apply for drinks and snacks too? Also, what isn't included for 'free'? I know international brands of alcohol very likely won't be included which makes sense, but how about bottled coke/beer/wine and snacks such as ice creams and crisps?

I've heard that the beaches next to each hotel usually have their own beach bars and things. Is this true with our hotel? If so, what can you order and what is the hotels stance on the amount of food/drinks that they supply to each person? Do they limit how much you get or are you free to indulge as often as possible and do they let you take it away to your room or outside the resort?

I've only ever been on an all inclusive holiday once when I was about 9 years old :p

Thanks
We are staying at the Liberty Resort Hotel in Skanes in a few weeks time, which for anyone who doesn't know is located on the beach in between Sousse and Monistir, so not a great deal other than sand and other hotels each side of us until we get a taxi into either town.

I've read a lot of positive things about the people of Tunisia and how welcoming they will be, but my girlfriend has heard from a few people that the men and women of Tunisia will stop and stare at travelling (in our case British) women in the street, knowingly making them feel uncomfortable. I have tried to assure her that everything will be OK and that as long as she's dressed accordingly and is with me, she shouldn't have many problems at all. I've never been to Tunisia before but from what I've read I understand that the men will commonly whistle or say something cheeky to women, but I've never read anything about people staring in a vicious manner. Should I assume that to visit either Monastir or Sousse, the typical female beachwear clothes should be made more modest or are both towns classed and treated as holiday resorts where people wear what they like?

I'd appreciate it if someone who has visited the Tunisia holiday resorts could give me a description of their experiences regarding this matter and anything else that we may not expect once we get there.

--Finally on a different subject, could anyone give me some suggestions for activities to do that are either in the Sousse/Skanes/Monastir area, or are easily/quickly accessible from there? I understand there's a lot of watersports, but how about land activities? Are there any nearby quad biking type activities to do? We are going for a week and don't have a lot of money but would like to do a few things now and again other than sunbathe :)
Thanks
I've just noticed this and thought I might be able to reassure you. Men will often whistle at English or European women but it can safely be ignored so your girlfriend needn't worry. Neither men nor women will intentionally try to make you feel uncomfortable unless you are dressed in a completely inappropriate way. Basically anything you would feel comfortable wearing around Tesco's or your local high street is acceptable in the towns, though skirts which do little more than cover your knickers are likely to cause a few stares, as will boob tubes or bare mid-riffs. If venturing further away from the tourist areas, for example out into the villages or the Sahara, rather more decorum is required, for example longer skirts for ladies and not too much cleavage on show and long trousers for men. It can be useful for a lady to have a light scarf or shawl which she can put on if she feels the need to cover up a bit more and this will certainly be needed if entering religious sites, where men will be given a cloth to wrap round to cover their legs if they are wearing shorts. Some women even go topless round the hotel pools and on the beach but personally I feel it is inappropriate in a predominantly Moslem country.

There isn't a lot to do in Skanes itself as it is mostly hotels and the beach but most hotels will have activities and I'm sure you will be able to organise things like quad biking through your rep or through the various sellers on the beach. Do try and visit the mausoleum of the late president, Bourghiba, at Monastir which is absolutely beautiful. Bear in mind that transport is very cheap, particularly the buses and trains, both of which you can pick up easily from Sousse just down the road. Taxi prices are 'negotiable' so don't accept the first price they say - either haggle or insist they put the meter on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.