America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Ahh yes, thats another tip I forgot!! :oops: If you are nearby or shopping in Walmart or Target in Kissimmee, you can pick up these booklets with tokens in such as..."10% off a meal at the Sizzler" or "1 child plays free at miniature golf"
Things you would never even think you could do on holiday, they have tokens for them. Go on...be adventurous!! xxx
If you want something slightly more upmarket than the normal chain type restaurants on IDrive in florida, head a little way along Sand Lake road west. The locals call it restaurant row their is approximately a dozen restaurants that are wonderful, obviously pricey but still good value compared with the uK.
Used more by the locals than the tourists.
Ellisj2,

I live in New York and frequently eat out in restaurants in the theater district. Many of the mentions on this site are chain restaurants, which can be fine, but in New York City there are so many wonderful restaurants, and you'll want to try some of them. Blue Fin is in the theater district (47th and Broadway) which is close to the Majestic. I've never eaten there, but it does get good reviews in Zagat, which is generally an excellent resource. I don't know what kind of food you like to eat and your price range, but here are a few places I can recommend:

B. Smith's (American; soul food; eclectic - 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues

Le Rivage - French bistro 4 course lunch or dinner for a great price - 46th between 8th and 9th Avenues

Baldoria - Excellent Italian food - 49th St. between Broadway and 8th Avenue

Carmines - Big, noisy Italian - 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue - huge portions (best if in a group)

Frankie and Johnny's - a NYC steak house that was once a speakeasy (it's up a flight of stairs and is quintessential New York, but fairly expensive for wonderful steak -45th between Broadway and 8th Avenue (almost to 8th)

Johns Pizzeria - 44th and Broadway - inexpensive, thin crust pizza

Le Madeleine - French; 43rd Street between 9th and 10th Avenues - excellent pre-theater lunch or dinner; reasonable but not cheap

Ollies - Chinese specializing in barbequed meat and noodle dishes; inexpensive; big and noisy and popular - 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue

Virgil's Barbecue - Southern Barbecue (ribs, pulled pork, etc.) 44th between Broadway and 6th Avenue

My favorite favorite restaurant (not close to theaters) Tabla (on 25th and Madison - fabulous continental menu with Indian spicing

Enjoy your trip!
Hi!

Welcome to HT :wave

Great to have a U.S resident on board :wink:

Pippy HT Mod :D
Pippy,

After all the good advice I've gotten from those overseas, I'm just returning the favor! Restaurants are among my favorite topics, and while perusing this topic, I couldn't help but notice the absence of local advice. I'm taking a cruise in the Med in October and someone recommended this website as a place to meet English people who might be on the same cruise... that's how I got here.

Happy traveling...
Never tried it myself but there's Victoria and Albert at the grand Floridian.

Also you might like to try Dux at the Peabody also Le Caprice does a nice sunday champagne brunch.

The Villa di Flora at the gaylord palms is also very nice.

If you are looking at something a bit classier-then try some of the big hotels.
Hi Travelwise!

Were staying at the Hilton New York and Towers for our first visit in November.

On the day we arrive it will be about 6.30pm when we get to our hotel - so no time to go out and choose a good restaurant - and could do with some 'inside information' :D

For our first night in NY where would you suggest which is not miles out of our way??

We enjoy steakhouses, chinese, indian, italian and like a good atmosphere with background music - any ideas??

:thanks

Joolz :wink:
When we were in Florida earlier this year we ate out every night - even though we stayed in a villa.
Having done a straw poll of the 10 of us who went we have agreed that the top 3 places we ate in were - and in no particular order
Race Rock (I-drive)
Wild Jacks (I-drive)
Rainforest Cafe (Downtown Disney)

We thought the Ponderosa was OK but struggle to see what all the fuss is about. Cheap + cheerful is the best way to descibe it but I personally wouldnt chose it for any meal other than breakfast.

Pegasus
Joolz,

The Hilton is on 54th Street and 6th Avenue, so you probably want something close by. You don't say what day of the week you arrive. That would make a difference -- not all restaurants are open on Sunday night, and Friday and Saturday toward the theater district can be crowded pre-theater (i.e. 6:30).
You also don't mention your price range, and the prices can make a huge difference.

If you have the money, Aquavit is wonderful. Great fish, inventive, terrific chef and although they have moved since I was last there, the review indicates that the decor of the new place is as nice as the old (which means very sophisticated, Scandinavian modern... you'll like it.)

Cite is another good option for steak.

If money is no object, Le Bernardin is a fabulous fish restaurant.

For great Italian and a fun atmosphere try Osteria del Circo.

Ruth's Chris is an American steakhouse -- part of a chain, but excellent steak in a dignified atmosphere.

Carnegie Deli doesn't fit your food descriptions -- it's a Jewish delicatessen famous for enormous sandwiches and snappish waiters -- you might get a nice one, but they are famous for being unfriendly. If you like this type of food, you might want to try it some time during your visit -- it's close by and it's famous.

Molyvos is a delightful Greek restaurant owned by a family that takes great pride in their eateries. I have a great meal there every time I go, but like most places in this neighborhood, it's not cheap.

If you are on a tight budget, a good option is Menchanko Tei. This is a Japanese noodle shop -- light on atmoshphere, but very authentic, inexpensive, Japanese noodle soups and other dishes.

If you go a little further afield, to the west 40's (theater district), the recommendations I put in an entry for someone a few weeks ago, would also be good. If you love Indian food and want to go to one of the best restaurants in New York, try Tabla. You'll need a cab down to Madison Square (25th and 5th), but the food is fabulous. It's Indian/Continental fusion and the chef is a genius.

To do your own research, google Zagat and click on New York Restaurants. Check the listings under "west 50's" and you'll see what's available.

Enjoy your visit to New York!
Thanks Travelwise - thats great!

We arrive on a Thursday night - and our budget would be about $100 for the two of us inc drinks.

We will give Tabla a try - I have been bidding on a Zagat restaurant guide for New York on Ebay - so fingers crossed I may get lucky!!

Many Thanks for your time - We really cant wait now.

This past weekend, while in Manhatten, I had the opportunity to eat at a new restaurant called "Piano Due" on west 51st street, between 6th and 7th Avenues in mid-town. It was one of the nicest dining experiences I have had in the city and can highly recommend it. The owner/chef, Michael Cetrulo, came to our table twice to check on our meals and even brought over, at no charge, a new ravioli dish he has been making for our comments. Fish and veal were top-notch and service was both friendly and attentive without that annoying hovering. Try it and you won't be disappointed.
Oh and let me also "second" the suggestion of travelwise for Le Bernardin. Truly an outstanding restaurant for fish and seafood. Reservations are a must, however.
Joolz,

Just to clarify, there is an upstairs formal restaurant and a downstairs "Bread Bar" at Tabla. The upstairs menu is pricey, but wonderful. Their set menu for dinner when I was there in April was $59 for three courses. That didn't include drinks, tax, tip, and would definitely be over your price cap. You could just order two courses, but all three will tempt you! Downstairs the menu is more typically Indian and the prices are gentler. Lunch is a bargain. They have a three course set menu (with excellent choices) for $25 or $32, so that is another possibility. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Travelwise
Thanks again Travelwise and thanks also to Mr Lenox!

As we will be falling asleep at the table on the first night - we will spend more when we can actually enjoy the whole experience! Sounds like we will save Tabla for the following night and go upstairs - love to get spoilt with good service.

Take Care,

ellisj2

how did you enjoy New York? did you find any good places to eat. we are at the excelsior hotel,

thanks for your help
Anne
For Orlando -

Tony Romas (Lake Buena Vista)
Red Lobster (Crossroads LBV)
Ruby Tuesday (at Florida mall)
TGI Fridays (Crossroads LBV)
Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club WDW)
Yacht Club Galley (Yacht Club WDW)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (Wilderness Lodge WDW)
ESPN (Boardwalk WDW)
Bomas for brekkie (Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW)
Hard Rock Cafe (City Walk Universal)
Confisco's Grill (IOA)
Pastamore (City Walk Universal)

New York -

Tony Romas (near Times Sq)
Oyster Bar (Grand Central Station)
Houlihanes (In Theater district)

San Francisco -

Hard Rock Cafe (Pier 39)
Bubba Gumps (Pier 39)

Claire :wink:
St Pete Beach Florida -

Silas Dent (opp Tradewinds Island Grand)
Crabby Bill's (near to Holiday Inn)
Ruby Tuesday (Tyrone Sq mall)

Newport Beach California -

Crab Cooker (Towards the beach peninsula)

• Edited by ClaireL 2005-10-06 14:10:59
Sorry double post!

So many on the list are chain restaurants such as Ruby Tuesday, Bubba Gump, Hard Rock, Tony Roma, TGI Fridays, Red Lobster. They are all fine if you are in the mall and want to grab a bite, but none of them represent great American cooking (or international for that matter). I second The Oyster Bar -- that's a NY institution and if you love oysters, not to be missed. It's right inside Grand Central Station and it's been there for many years (always a good sign with restaurants).

Since someone mentioned San Francisco, I guess I need to give you my list for S.F., too. So many wonderful meals in San Francisco! My absolute favorite is Postrio -- fabulous menu, lovely setting, great service... a terrific restaurant. I never miss going there when I'm in S.F. and actually stayed at the Prescott Hotel (where it is housed) on my last trip.

1)Postrio - 545 Post St. (near Union Square) always wonderful; lunch or dinner
2) Kuleto's - 221 Powell St. (also near Union Square); especially good for lunch... not in the same league with Postrio, but somewhat less expensive and the one time I ate here I was very happy with the food.
2) Chez Panisse Cafe (1517 Shattuck Ave -- about 10 blocks from the BART) for lunch - This is the casual offshoot of Alice Waters fabulous night time restaurant. She has a set menu at night but the cafe has a regular menu with lots of wonderful dishes. I don't think they take reservations, burt call and check. Great building. Definitely worth the trip -- I never miss it when I'm in S.F.
3) Ros Pistola (North Beach Italian) 525 Columbus Ave. - Had a really good meal here; it's something of a happening fun place.
4) Green's (Building A Fort Mason Center) near the Golden Gate Bridge -- I'm not a vegetarian, but this place is. I've eaten here three times and enjoyed it all three times.
5) Absinthe Bar and Brasserie- had a fabulous brunch here -- one of the best I have ever eaten.
6) Zuni Cafe - 1658 Market St. - Delightful place; wonderful menu
7) Don't miss Chinatown - hard to go wrong. Have dim sum - it's great here.

Hope this helps someone. Happy Eating!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.