Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi i would contact your credit card company and ask them to look into it.
They could also do a charge back.
A refund can be done at once, there may be a few days delay to appear in your account.
What absolutely appalling customer service. The common practice of overbooking is one thing in itself but to then hold on to your money is quite frankly outrageous and there is no excuse for this. The money could have been transferred within 4 working days - any business can do this by BACS transfer.

I would think you have a very good case, you should ring Ros Fernihough to ask for advice, she provides a free service for HT members and I know she has helped many people.

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

If this line is busy switchboard number 01922 633214

*Edit to show Ros's new telephone number - Glynis*
Thank you SandC and homme,will keep you posted. :tup
tell your credit card company straight away and they will put it aside from further biulls!
As long as they know about it they are usually quite good!
Thanks,have now raised a dispute with credit card company and have to send them copies of correspondence but as most of the dealings has been done over the phone don't actually have any thing to prove they promised a full refund. Only there cancelleation invoice showing a zero balance.Any way worth a try.
I can never quite understand how a debit goes through quickly yet a credit (refund) takes so long.

We are waiting for a refund from Air Malta who said it will take 15 - 21 working days to appear in the account. Why so long????

Pippa
Panoramas' excuse was they were very busy,Yes !!! I wonder how many other poor soles have had there holiday changed just like us.I do know that others where getting told at sharm airport that they weren't going to the hotel of their choice.What a way to treat paying customers. :really
Hi again,have just received a cheque in the post for the full cost of the holiday,this was from the accounts department so will just wait and see if they also follow up my complaints letter.Will keep you informed thanks for all advice given. :D
Hi again,can any one tell me what the correct response time to my letter of compliant should be .It's nearly three weeks and not even an acknowledgement. thanks
They must respond within 28 days, but that first response is usually a holding letter saying they are looking into it.

luci :wave
Hassie
Write to them giving them 28 days notice to settle or you will take them to court. contact consumer direct or trading standards who will help you
best of luck
fiona

ps. same crowd who run the show for Direct Holidays, totally useless
Hi have received this letter from thomas cook this morning.Not surewhat to do next and also could any one advice me whether or not we should of had compensation for major change as there terms and conditions are confusing,here is the link to them.
http://www.panoramaholidays.co.uk/AniteNextPage.asp?p=EXTRAINFO_79159.

letter_
I am writing in response to your letter,which details the problems that you have experienced during your booking with our company.I would like to thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns and confirm that this matter has been passed to myself ,here in the directors office ,to be thoroughly investigated.
Please understand that,here at Thomas cook,we are committed to providing excellent service to all our customers and it was with great regret that I learnt of the problems that you and your husband have encountered in relation to your booking with us.
Having read through the details in your correspondence I do appreciate your feelings of disappointment and frustration as a result of the changes ,which were made to your booking and I do regret that we were unable to accomodate you at the hotel or resort that you had originally chosen.I would however like to point out,that in an attempt to avoid any disappointment,we do advice all our customers that on rare occasions we may need to cancel your holiday for one reason or another.
In the event of an overbooking situation,we will endeavour to offer any affected customers an aternative choice of accomodation,of either equivalent or superiior quality at no extra cost,or a less expensive holiday,in which we will refund any differance.We also offer the option,under such circumstances,to cancel their holiday with a full refund of any monies,which have already been paid.
Following my investigations,I was sorry to learn that no suitable alternative could be found for you and you therefore felt that the only option available was to cancel your booking with ourselves.Despite this fact,Iwas pleased to learn that your agent was still able to find a alternative holiday for you.
Further to the above,I also recognise that you have incurred telephone charges whilsy trying to resolve this sotuation with our operations department and were expecting to also receive charges on your credit card due to the delay in issuing your refund.In the interests of resolving this situation,Iwould be gratefull if you could send me a copy of both telephone bill and your credit card statement,showing the charges,and I will be more than happy to reimburse these costs for you.
In closing I would like to offer my apologies for any aspects of this booking that has created cause for concern and also thank you once again for bringing your concerns to our attention.I would like to assure you that both your views and your custom are important to us and I look forward to any opportunity that you may give us in the future,where we can restore any lost faith you may have in our company,End

Sorry it's long but feel it should all be read as it is a load of waffle really.Thank you for again taking the time to read my post :que
I think that this is the most you can expect - if I'm reading it correctly, they've given you a full refund and now also offered to re-imburse you for the costs incurred on your credit card and for the telephone calls you made on production of a copy the relevant statements. Yes, they made major changes to your holiday but most T&Cs say that in such a case they will either transfer you to another reosrt/hotel with your agreement or offer a full refund. Since you chose the latter and they appear to have agreed to re-imburse the costs you incurred in getting this sorted, which is what you asked for in the letter in your original post.

We feel that we should be compensated for the Phone charges ,credit card charges which we will now incur.

then I think that's likely to be that. No TO is ever likely to pay compensation for

the distress and unreasonable way we have been treated through no fault of our own.

especially if you do not stipulate exactly what it is you think is a reasonable amount and provide a rationale for that.

SM
So what are you wanting?

You have got your money back. They have offered to refund your expenses.

How much are hurt feelings worth?

Any letter replying to a complaint will be full of flowery prose. That is how "customer service" is taught. Never call a spade a spade when you can call it something else.

You did say in your original post you are a shareholder so if you have a real gripe then take it up down that avenue. It will probably be taken more seriously.

For every disgruntled holidaymaker there there are hundreds who are satisfied.

Shareholders can complain that the wrong attitude in cases such as yours damages the company and therefore effects your dividends

fwh
fwh
your comments are not justified.I booked a specific hotel for a purpose, if I went into a shop for a cabbage and was told I could only have a cauli would that be correct,I don't think so.Share holder or not I have rights,that is the right to be treated with respect which I wasn't. :yikes :yikes
fwh
I think your comments to Hassie are bit over the top! after all, when we pick a holiday at a certain resort/hotel that is what we have paid for, that is our choice. not a company who are raking in money to satify their own greed,! also knowing fine well that the place will be overbooked long before they even let on to the customer! Each customer buying goods trys to have faith in purchasing whatever they buy , whether this is a holiday, car etc
fiona
The problem here is not what is morally right or wrong, but what the terms and conditions of the contract state. The T&Cs state that if the original choice is not available (a major change) then an alternative will be offered. If that is not accepted, then a full refund will be given - and that is what was provided. There is also compensation payable as per Option 2 of the table in the T&C page which shows that, if the change occurred within 56 days of departure, you will be compensated and gives the amount per person. The original post does not stipulate the holiday date so I do not know if the change occurred within that compensation window. What is clear is that the change was notified 22 days from booking and not on arrival in resort as has happened to many others - myself included!
In any case, TC seem to have abided by the T&Cs and have even gone beyond them in offering to compensate for the financial detriment caused by the delay in refunding the holiday cost (i.e. telephone charges and CC charges) - something they are not obliged to do.
Therefore, if the change was outside the compensation window, then no further compensation is due as per the T&Cs.

On reading fwh's post, I can not see anything "over the top" - indeed, they are suggesting a different approach to dealing with this generic problem by flexing shareholder muscle. If enough shareholders complain that the company attitude/aptitude when handling complaints is impacting the share price then maybe the company wil change its customer service approach.

Cheers,
Jet
I was due to fly out on the 13th April and was notified of the change on the 27th march.I did not put to much info on this thread because I'd already asked for help on the egypt forum before it became a complaint.I have every sympathy for those who only got told at the airport,but this still doesn't make what happened to us correct.They lied to us and as for the extortionate 8p a minute ,it's no wonder they kept us in a queue for 2hrs 45nins.They are doing this to many travelers desparate to sort out the situation and getting very very rich on the procedes.Thanks for all input but please don't under estimate the way this situation made us feel.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.