Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
you paid a deposit to secure the property for your holiday next year.
this reserved the property for you.
the owners could not take other bookings because you had secured it
you dont want to go.
why should you get your deposit back.

sorry if this is not what you want to hear.
Most places will have a non refundable deposit policy. Owners Direct site states you should check with the owner reference deposit refund policy when booking. See Making A Booking in the link

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/using.htm
I'm of the same view. A deposit is to secure something. Although you say they didn't turn down one specific enquiry they may have turned down others as they were expecting you to fulfill your end of the bargain/contract.

It is to stop people from making endless bookings on small deposits and simply changing their minds.

As they have suggested if you gave a major reason such as a new ill health issue that has come to light, for cancelling then you will be able to get a refund from your travel insurance.
Is that a personal viewpoint or something based on fact. You would have had to have read their emails first to come to an opinon like you did really. They were quite aggressive. Also any refund decisions have to be backed up by a legal cancellation policy that is understood by both sides and agreed- surely.
They do not have a cancellation policy. That is what i have asked for and they just ignore my requests. What am I supposed to read into that?
In one reply I suggested that being as I cancelled 6 MONTHS ahead of booking a 10% loss of deposit would be reasonable. Did tey reply? No- not a dickie bird!
Did you ask at the time of booking what the T and C's were in regard to cancellation?

The Owners Direct site clearly suggests this

"Please check the cancellation terms with the owner at the time of booking - deposits are often non-refundable and they may have a sliding scale of charges for last minute cancellations after the balance has been paid. We recommend that you ask for any terms and conditions in writing."
At the end of the day, it was down to YOU to check all this out before committing to the booking! I doubt very much you will get anything refunded, unless they change their mind and do so as a goodwill gesture.
Yes that's true but they have no cancellation policy. I initially found out about the place on Owners Direct. By the way - it is a B and B type of place. It was them that rang me up at home and then we just exchanged emails.
Foolishly I did not refer back to the Owners Direct site and also they did not point out cancellation stuff etc in their emails or their confirmation of booking email.
I have not pasted all their emails or in fact the entireity of them. I know it is a personal judgement and means nothing - but they came across very aggressively. I was totally shocked considering how openly friendly they had been.
I did suspect something was up when they kicked me off their facebook page and have since changed it to a group by invitation only.
OK, I may not get the money back- but they have acted appaling and deserve some bad publicity. Surely it works both ways?
GoanmadTony,
I did ask for a gesture of goodwill , taking into account how nice and friendly they had been. They have not even bothered to reply to me. They sound lovely people.
I know many of you are acting as the devils advocate and that is very much appreciated. I am just angry and upset and trying to keep a level head.
They have treated me appallingly.
Are T and C's something they can just make up willy nilly or do they have to be clear and concise and available for scrutiny by the customer?
Their rude response and lack of cancellation policy certainly doesn't sound very professional. For a private booking I would expect that highlighted in an official confirmation of the booking .

I do accept that a certain percentage of a deposit should be non - refundable particularly if you are getting close to the arrival date pedrogooner but to hold 50% for a booking for Feb2013 I do find rather unacceptable. Not sure where you would go without a written confirmation detailing their cancellation policy but it certainly doesnt sound right to me .
Maybe try contacting Owners Direct website and letting them know the situation, maybe they can help but, I still think your be unlucky.

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/contactus.htm
Hi,

This all seems a bit unfortunate.

They have, perhaps already amended the page on Owners Direct. It now says:
Booking notes
Email or text bookings taken. 50 % Non-Refundable Deposit required, balance on arrival.
To comply with regulations, please bring 2 passport size photographs each with you, if possible.

Obviously, I don't know if this has been changed or what it originally said. It may be a matter of principle for you now, but perhaps you should consider the potential cost now involved in time, effort, etc. I understand that the sum involved is small
Thank you for your 50% deposit of £99

Try taking a step back and ask youself what is reasonable.

Just a thought

Peter
PeteB,
Yes you are right. I cannot prove it but that was probably added as I never saw it before. I know it is a small amout of money(comparatively speaking). It is difficult to get across the whole picture on this.No booking was done via Owners Direct. I found out about Pammae Palace on Tripadvisor and googled their name and came up with a point of contact.
As I mentioned previously- the owner rang me at home and all communications from there on in were by emails from her and phone calls. Booking confirmation email mentioned NOTHING about 50% non refundable deposit. They have no cancellation policy anyway to support anything.
Is it them that went on the attack. I tried to do things amicably and I did consider 'what is reasonable' as you suggested, PeterB.
I have given them 6 months notice. I suggested that keeping 10% of the deposit was reasonable as an act of goodwill on both parts.
Since writing to them a few days ago about it I have had absolutely no replies or replies to texts. Total radio silence. A tactic i imagine. Silence can be very provokative.
Anyway, I asked them to reply to me by today. I suspect they will not.
Have they acted professionally? In my opinion, no.

I also dont want to lose any sleep over all this but should I let them get away with it lightly. Are they bound to give me a copy of their cancellation policy or not. I will never know.
I will write again tomorrow to them and suggest again a 'goodwill gesture' etc. Otherwise I may have to consider a report to Tripadvisor. I would just then only state the facts and then leave it to others to decide. Up to them really .
Thanks for what you said PeterB. I know what you said is perfectly sound.
Lynwestie. Yes, that is exactly what I thought but they are not replying to me. They go under Sundownerskerala-- google that and nothing comes up.
I feel very hurt indeed by their stance in all this especially as before evrything was so so amicable. I know we have to deal in FACTS and not suppositions etc. But it is difficult not to get a tad irate!
I'm a bit muddled with how the booking was actually done. You said in your first post that you went via the Owners Direct website but now you are saying you didn't go through them. And now TA is being mentioned. If you really think they are being misleading then I would copy your emails to TA( if that is where you filled up the intitial enquiry). However, although I understand that it is the way the owners communicated with you that is probably the most annoying, I would just say to put it down to experience. You booked and paid a deposit without finding out what it entailed. If it makes you feel better, just imagine what might be wrong with the property if that is how you are treated now- you might have had a lucky escape ;)
I also think you may well have helped make others aware to do the checks. Its a learning curve isn't it? I know I've made mistakes with past holidays that have changed how I do things now.
Good post Fiona. :tup

However I think 50% is a bit steep for a cancellation fee.

Just thank your lucky stars pedrogooner that the accommodation wasn't any dearer :yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.