Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
mine too, always have a good meal there !! and you were very naughty Split tempting me eat that garlic bread when i was trying to be good!! :D
chilly
mine too, always have a good meal there !! and you were very naughty Split tempting me eat that garlic bread when i was trying to be good!! :D ooops why did this repeat!?? only posted it once
chilly
chilly wrote:
mine too, always have a good meal there !! and you were very naughty Split tempting me eat that garlic bread when i was trying to be good!! :D ooops why did this repeat!?? only posted it once
chilly

Thought you posted twice cause you had 4 bits of Garlic bread Chilly :rofl
returning in March and was wondering if some of my favs from 4 years ago are still about? they include:

East meets West

Allspice

Stonehouse

Floyds hut

Delhi Durbar

Also any other recommendations around the area?

J.
Stonehouse was awful, we had a long wait for the menu, the food (which was cold) terrible music the guy trying to sing sounded like a strangled cat. A rat ran over my foot - need I say have not been back. It took 25 mins for the bill to come as the staff were all talking.
Had a similar experience at the Stonehouse a couple of years ago.

It seems it engenders vastly differing dining experiences.

Tried it on a few occasions since we first discovered Goa in 1995 and have to be honest it has never impressed us that much.

Lots of people love it though so they are doing something right.

Papa
Hi all :cheers
we went to Jazz Corner in October....Chicken Vindaloo, very nice.
The problem we had was when we tried to order a sweet...the 3 waiters and the guy behind the bar were all on their mobile phones, either playing games or texting each other for about 10 to 15 mins.
When we finally got their attention we decided to pay our bill and leave...

Mobile phones....a problem that has swept the world.... Due to evolution...in 20 years , children will be born with just two big thumbs on their hands and will have lost the ability to talk.. :rofl
Went to Nic n Nats in Arpora last night, a pleasant setting in a minimalist way ( bit like Souymans ) and the price's very reasonable, especially the drinks, 30 for a large Old Monk or Honey Bee a bit more for gin or vodka, small beer from 40

The place was quite busy, over well over half the tables were in use, taken mainly by couples like us on the wrong side of fifty nine, apart from a young couple who were sampling the bubbly

My food was nicely presented and tasted very good, I really enjoyed my meal but the wife thought my starter was a bit on the salty side, I had grilled mushrooms that came with spinach, cauliflower and a tomato garnish followed by chicken supreme stuffed with home made cheese and spinach served with lightly roasted potatoes, mixed veg and a sauce to die for. The o/h half had Mushrooms alforno that look a bit boring compared to my starter but she really enjoyed them but her main course was a disaster, she had order kingfish which should have come with trimmings similar to my main course but she got kingfish and chips and she hates chips, the waiter did get a plate of roasted potatoes for her but no veg or sauce it should have come with but by then she had found her king fish was not properly cooked and was still transparent in the middle

It all started out very well and three of the four courses were well above average but the fish did spoil what was a very pleasant evening

They have only been open a week, so it is early days and I expect we will be going back again as mistakes do happen also I can see it becoming a popular place at the prices they are charging
A few more places we have used this season

The Carvary Candolim Ram has been doing an excellent job so far this season, laid on a lovely free buffet for opening night, we had a very good curry at the first meet and a superb shepherds pie at the last, he also went to a lot of trouble doing up the place as a surprise for Ann's Birthday even got her favourite tiramisu cake

Infanteria Calangute, went there on Saturday evening as still no markets open yet, Herman Obreo was in rocking mood and asked Mel & Keith to do a few numbers with him but they had to stop at 10.15 because the police turn up, appears that the owner has not paid their bribe yet. a very good evening and the place was full, food we had was good and not to expensive (penne and King prawn in brandy sauce 240 Rps)

Santana Hotel Candolim Tom Lee was doing his first gig there on Friday and about a dozen of us went along, it was a lovely evening, a lot of people up dancing in a nice setting around the pool, sadly the staff could not cope with a table of twelve and the food arrived in any order (a main for you and a starter for you and here's the naan bread and rice to go with the curry you eat in desperation half an hour ago) the last meal arrived at 10.30, two hours after we had ordered. Those that got their food, (guess who didn't) said it was very good but it then took over an hour to get the bills, needless to say we crossed off the 10% service charge and the food that never arrived. A nice evening spoilt be untrained staff and management that hide away when things go wrong.

Kim Faa Baga ten of us went there for the Wife's birthday treat and we all had a great evening. My wife had picked the menu and wanted loads of starters bought out over the course of the evening, finishing with a special dish and that's what she got ,all overseen by a very attentive Michael, can't remember all that we had but it was something like.... steamed special prawn wonton, golden baby corn, gobi manchurian, salt and pepper squid, satay chicken, spare ribs, prawn spring rolls and finished with jumbo prawns steamed in garlic ginger and spring onions severed with an oyster sauce and a few bottles of Lanson Champagne. We have used the Kim Faa ever since Michael and James opened at the Bonanza hotel, not the cheapest of restaurants but good value for money and never had a bad meal in well over ten years

The Phoenix bar at Capt. Lobo's in Baga has not open this year but the place opposite the CSM reception (the old Lazydays cafe ) is been refurbished and Max has moved from the Palm Tree restaurant opposite the old Calangute petrol station to somewhere near the Osborne hotel also Bardays Inn is open but Richard has not been well and hoped to franchise out the restaurant this year but was let down
Hi Meagain,
We've been looking at Kim Faa as one restaurant to try for our 1st visit in Feb. Would you be able to help me with the average cost of a meal for 2 (with a couple of beers each) as I can't seem to find prices for it. We normally have something like prawn toast as a starter, then rice, sweet and sour dish & ribs for mains.

Thanks for your help :)
Ang
I will check out the current prices for you, the only one I know off by heart, is a large 660 Ml Fosters is 95 Rps (£1.20) best to share one so it doesn't get warm sitting on the table

Some dishes are very different to what you might be used to, ribs at the Kim Faa are the small ones cooked so well the meat is falling off the bone in a dark aniseed tasting sauce, ribs at the Taste of China are two pork chops covered in honey, both very nice but not what you would expect.

One of our favourite dishes is prawns Q , which is prawns with the tail shell still on cooked with small flowerets of cauliflower and veg in a light clear sauce
Hi Julian

All the restaurants you named are still there but the only one we have used is the Stone House and as I have already said it has been doing very good and inexpensive food so far this season but the music will vary according to the performer on different days but even then guest acts just turn up a join in, can be very good or very bad

East meets West is open again this season but Jenny who was the main driving force died a few years ago. It is now run by her partner and a lot of the old staff are still there but it got very get mixed reports last season, the night we went for a quite and romantic evening they had a big screen TV there with the cricket on (India was winning the world cup) so we just had a drink (after managing to drag a waiter away from the TV) and left
gobofraggle wrote:
ribs at the Kim Faa are the small ones cooked so well the meat is falling off the bone in a dark aniseed tasting sauce, ribs at the Taste of China are two pork chops covered in honey, both very nice but not what you would expect

OH!! Meagain!! I am drooling at the mouth just reading that!!! Mmmmm!!! :tup
Hi gobofraggle :cheers ...
try the Tibetan restaurant..(next door to Public Bar...upstairs)...the BEST ribs you will ever get...out of this world.... :tongue
Do you know what the Tibetan restaurant next to the Public Bar is called Noggin ?
Hi shirleyv :wave:
its called "Tibetan" as far as i know, you cannot miss it...please try it, you will not be disappointed in the ribs...i promise :tup
Hi Noggin, thanks, will add it to my list :tup
Hi Goangirl

Chilly and Mike rave about the ribs at the Kim Faa but must admit I do like the bigger ones, so will try to get 'er ladyship into the the Tibetan but we certainly did not pick the right dishes when we went there a few years ago, the food was just a load of slops with a solid lump of bread, so have not been back
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.