Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I will definetly be back in 2012, having not been since 2009 :(
What has stopped me coming back is the silly prices that tour operators are charging, and the fact that I can only take my holidays in september, april, and christmas.
I am in 2012 & cannot wait :) 6 of us going in total & this will all be our first time apart from my hubby who went backpacking around India 19 years ago.
Despite saying before we went at Xmas this was going to be our last visit for a while we came home and booked straight back up.

Got what I consider to be really good prices flying on Xmas eve for 3 weeks with Qatar for £570 each. Roll on Xmas lol

I hope you manage to get back to
Goa Mike it's been a complete farce for you and don't think anyone would be surprised if you gave up on the place!
Hi Mike
I know this has been an awful season for you (Goa-wise) and I hope things are better for you for the new season.

We did get our 2 holidays to Goa in this time (Nov & Feb) but so far the jury is out for 2011/12.

As yummymummy says, the package prices are pretty expensive at the moment so we will wait and see.
I'm not paying almost £1000 each (£966.50 to be exact) to stay 3 weeks at the Santana (nice as it might be) or £700 each for flights.

We used to budget on £20 per day between 2 of us for food & drink, then upped it to £25 per day and we found we were spending more than £30 per day this February.
Of course, compared to a lot of places that is very cheap but my point is that everything is going up and Goa is no longer the cheap place to get to or eat out that it used to be.

It's been a while since we went to the Far East so we may think about Bali.

Or then again, if a good deal came up.......who knows?
Came back from Candolin four weeks ago after three weeks of total relaxation. Did think about going somewhere else but after two weeks back home we've now booked for next February for a month at Aldeia Santa Rita. Will it be our last? Probably not lol.
Had a good 3 wks again (home last Sat) but to be honest we may look towards Thailand/Malaysia for next year. It may be a bit dearer for the package but the hotels are far superior and the resorts cleaner. As Polly mentioned on the previous post it is getting more expensive and the service gets no better.Another thing about this year was the amount of Russians that were there this year, we have done 9 or 10 yrs of Goa and for the last 3 have said we will try elsewhere :think I have had a little look on the HT Thailand site and noticed there are a few Goa regulars who post there now and again.....cheers Keith
Keith if you need any help just pm me and i will tell you all i know about Thailand Cambodia and Vietnam

Mike
We'll be back next year.

This year for the first time ever we stayed in a hotel, and this year was possibly the most enjoyable holiday we have had in 12 years. We spent most of our time in the hotel grounds at Taj Fort Aguada, only going out for meals occasionally - if you're paying 5 star prices you might as well spend more time there. We also had the occasional day trip out on the scooter to places like Ashvem, Mayem Lake and Panjim.

We are getting sick of the dirt and rubbish and the general couldn't care less attitude the locals display with regard to the rubbish. I've watched the locals - they'll clean their bit, then throw the rubbish over the wall. I don't know how you long termers can put up with it - 4 weeks is my limit, but maybe next year it'll only be 2 weeks.
Well we go next Friday - and can't wait !! As for next year, all depends on the R.Princess, if we lose our shack for a season then another destination will come into plan (maybe..) We both don't want to start moving to another area, but if flight prices can be found near to what we have paid for this season then that may swing it for Goa (will be our 13th year - unlucky ?..)
We weren't going back last year but did.
We don't intend going back this year either.
It's not that we don't like the place it's just that for me life is too short to keep going to the same place although I understand why some people do.
There is a problem though. Money. Where else can you get such good value for money, guaranteed sun and excellent eating opportunities. When we can match it elsewhere that's where we will go.
I must admit though, health issues are starting to concern me. On each of my last three trips ( 2xGoa,1xGambia) I have spent time being ill as a result, I am sure, of poor hygiene standards. It's getting tiresome, but luckiliy for me we go for a month at a time. If I spent two or three days laid low on a 2 week holiday I would be really peeved.I know I haven't been alone in my suffering, it's amazing the number of tourists needing chemists and doctors.
At the moment I'm looking into Thailand too. It's a lot cheaper to fly there than Goa with Qatar, the trouble is finding decent accommodation within a reasonable budget. 5* is beyond our means for a 4 week holiday ! Somewhere half decent like the Marinha Dourada or Santana Beach would suit us fine providing we are paying a similar price !
We'll see what the future brings, time will tell. We will return to Goa , just not sure when. I do feel that a break from somewhere also renews the interest when you do go back.
cheers Dave
Hiya mike,as you know we really are thinking Thailand next year,and i have already done some research,however i know i will really miss goa especially the social side,which i know we wont have in Thailand,goa,even if the prices have risen is still so cheap we got by this year on about £70 per day for the 2 of us,the restaurant standards (i think) are really high our appartment was stunning,so at the moment we`re still undecided,Goa, Thailand,we just cant decide.
We will definitely be back that's for sure, not booked yet, still trying to decide on dates, Goa still rocks my boat and it's mega cheap when you are there :tup
This season is the first time we have not been to Goa for years but we have made the break and will not be back.
Tried Vietnam - what an eyeopener - nice clean beaches with no rubbish around them, street cleaners around all the time, good restaurants with food from all over the World and as cheap as Goa and no shout of Taxi every couple of yards :)
Visa obtained in a couple of days on the internet then payed the rest on arrival in a few minutes.
Social side is nowhere near as good as Goa but the rest makes up for it.
nice clean beaches with no rubbish around them, street cleaners around all the time

Vietnam is a communist state - everyone has a job. :tup
Those who are 'going back' - that's fine.
Those who are 'not going back', that's fine too.
Those who say: "...there's a big wide world out there, let's try somewhere else..", that's also good.

We're from that last group. When we do manage to break out of Goa's spell (for a short time anyway) and DO go somewhere else, it usually ends with us puffing our cheeks out and saying to each other : "Its not Goa, is it?"

In answer to the question? Yes, if the price is right and we can make it. Thailand will have to come second again. Although...
We are looking for somewhere else for a change but haven't made our minds up yet. Probably keep going to Goa until it loses its appeal then look elsewhere. Unfortunately this maybe sooner than we had hoped the way things are going out there
No not going to Goa in the near future if at all, had enough of politics and garbage and rapid price rises, have adopted Sri Lanka, it is like Goa Was 20 odd years ago, clean, friendly people and roughly same as India, though you have to get used to having 180 rupees to the pound but bear in mind that a large beer would be around 200/250 rupees sounds high but you are getting 2 and a half times rupees to the pound, so 72 Indian rupees to pound, beer 90 Rupees equals £1.20, Sri Lanka 180 rupees to pound, beer 220 rupees equals £1.30.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.