Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Coll, looking forward to it :D

Spike, you have a good point there ;)
Lassi, that would be nice, will be based in Colva but, have scooter, can travel :rofl
Spike

I was the person who said my dream was over. I am a retired female aged 61. My "dream" was to spend 6 months in Goa on retirement, November to April. My husband and I did 4 months 2009/10 and 3 months 2010/11 after visiting Goa as "holiday makers" for 10 years. It has been a blast but we have realised that 3/4 months is too long as we started to notice the less positive things about Goa including, but not inclusive to, the eastern europeans being there in great numbers, primarily the 18-30 crowd who do not know how to behave in a civilised fashion and the prices rising. If I had continued to be a 3-weeker it would not be so much of a problem, but us staying there long-term is no longer what we want - a shame but a reality. We may well return some day, but for no longer than 1 month. Meantime other adventures beckon, not necessarily involving travel.

Good luck to those who still love Goa - I know I will miss it come winter and there is nothing to stop us returning, just not for a long duration.
It pains me to say this but I have similar views as candybabe, and many of you know I love Goa with a passion but it is changing, in both good and bad ways, which is too be expected, but I find the peace and quiet of the beaches a thing of the past because of the behaviour of eastern Europeans, I will spend next season there but it may be the last long stay,[never say never] would still visit for a 2 or 3 week holiday, dont think I could go cold turkey after all these years, but will wait and see what new and interesting things we are expected to do to obtain a visa,
Lin X
Hi Lin and candybabe we stay in the south and still find it farly clean and much more relaxing than the north we have not seen any problems with 18 to 30 year olds behaving badly possibly because they prefer the north where the clube are and dont venture down south as there are only restaurant type bars and its a lot quieter .
If youve not already done so i would suggest you give the south a try anita :cheers
Thanks, but the South has never been what we wanted. Definitely not into clubs, just a lively night life with a huge range of restaurants which Candolim delivered for 10 years. We have been down South but is is too quite for us.
Candybabe
In 2010 we sat on the beach in Goa and decided that in 2011 we would go somewhere different for our winter holiday
we convinced ourselves we neede to break away from Goa.
We eneded up in Cancun Mexico for 2 weeks, everything about the hotel, staff and the way we where treated in general was 1st class.

Moving away from the confines of the hotel was a very different experince to Goa no bars for a casual drink being my main gripe,
prices where far beyond european prices for trips, never mind Goan prices.
Perhaps we where naive in not researching fully before booking, deciding to book on family reccomendation
after just 3 days we knew we had made a mistake and spent the rest of the holiday pining for Goa.

so in answer to the question are
are you going to Goa 2011/2012
the answer is a resounding YES

I have just booked for 2 weeks end of Feb at the phoenix park through thomson at what we consider to be a good price.
:wave: hi chilly we are back to see you all in december 2011 :tup
Just booked. Three weeks at the Silver Sands Holiday Village. November 28th to December 20th. Can't wait
we have booked silver sands from 13th dec to 2nd jan will see you at meets :tup
mmmm not sure yet :think keep going round in circles Goa or Cambodia ????? have only enough holidays to do one of them next season so I need to get it right :que
All booked today, Mumbai for a couple of nights then down to Goa ;)
I've been an annual Goa addict since 2005.
In 2009, I started telling myself that prices were getting silly, the rubbish was getting intolerable, the Russians were a real pain, and the continuing changing visa mess meant that India didn't really want us.

But just after getting home, withdrawal symptoms set in and I booked 2010 - for the very LAST time.
And then I got home in 2010 and guess what... I booked and went again in 2011 - still complaining, but still loving the place.

And now - I'm already booked for Jan 2012, and the amazing twelve month (!!!) visa they gave me in Feb 2011 means I don't have that hassle for 2012.
This time I'm trying the Lagoa Azul - looks good on paper and seems to get good reviews.

I'm even considering an extra trip out to India during the summer monsoon this year - to make the most of my super visa and see what the place is like when virtually deserted (and a bit wet!)

Must just nip down to Tesco to buy some Kingfisher, and put on my Slumdog DVD to get through another evening here at home.
Back from my third trip to Goa and I will definitely be going back. I enjoy it more each time I visit as I become familiar with the area, the bars and restaurants.

However after two good visits to the Marinha Dourada and one poor one to the Nazri, I think it's time to move south. So I have been looking at H2O and White Sands in Agonda for next March. Both get great reviews on Trip Advisor and seem to be well liked looking through the threads on HT forums.

The other thing that really got on my nerves this year was "Eastern Comrades" with their rudeness, general bad manners and a lack of respect for anyone or anything!

I am hoping by choosing a small resort in the deep south that they haven't discovered the road down there yet.

However, we have already said that we will spend at least one day back up at Baga at the Oceanic Shack and probably tie that in with one of the meets somewhere in the evening

......roll on next March :tup
We were almost back despite deciding against it previously. At the end of the day increased prices of scheduled flights to Goa and the desire for a change nailed it and we are off to Kenya on a Monarch 3 week half board package where they use scheduled Kenya Airways flights. ;)
Ian, we intended going to the south for part of our stay, Candolim for the rest. Unfortunately packages don't offer that flexibility.
Having stayed in Arpora 4 times, Candolim was a pleasant change. Highly recommend Santana Beach at the quiet end of Candolim ( look at Monarch for a package ), better than the MD in my opinion even if you don't have the balcony view! When we stayed in the south previously we felt 10 days was enough at Utorda as there was little choice in eating out. Careful where you choose !
cheers Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip regarding the Santana Beach, had I known this last year, I would have probably given it a go as I didn't like the Nazri that I stayed in this year! Still I think I have made my mind up for two weeks of total chill down in Agonda. Not sure yet, White Sands or H2O as both look really good. We will also spend a few days at Palolem and I've read about jungle trips and whitewater rafting etc from the south. So it looks like there will be plenty to do apart from chilling on the beach which I am quite happy to do.

:tup
Not sure when you are going Ian, but we were going to book Sao Domingos in Mobor beack. They have their own web site tocheck it out but Monarch are offering package holidays there at very competitive prices ( in November , haven't checked other times).
Good luck in your choice. I think we will try it in 2012. cheers Dave
Dave,where you down Utordra in November last year?.If so i remember talking to you,we stay in Bogmalo and i think you were heading up to Candolim on the Tuesday ?

John
Me and Di have booked our leave at work 23 Jan for 3 whole weeks this time. Got to start looking at flights and accomodation now
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.